What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotta love the bitternes coming from these old lol@souffs relics.

snoozer

Bench
as neither a souffs or rooter fan i'm finding this whole episode rather amusing.

a) the churchill medal is seemingly randomly chosen from a group of 34 players on gf day.

b) dce played pretty well - one of a few though that could've won it. i believe sbw played well in parts(certainly not the first part) but there were better than him out there.

c) bob mc and satts played in a very different era. who knows how good they would've been now. they should shut up though. macarthy particularly - he truly sounds like a big fat case of sour grapes.

bor

Juniors
This old souffs relic can release a new article attacking any person remotely attached to the roosters each day for all I care. I'll still be enjoying the chooks win, while at the same time loling@souffs

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
2mw9d28.png

2mds5xj.png

2hq3wwm.png

2ywbqld.png

2hoi4jd.png

aqua_duck

Coach
In Sattler's era the best winger was Ken Irvine who's 5'8, no winger that height would even get into 1st grade these days. No disrespect to the players of the past but it's a different calibre of athlete in 2013, the pool of talent is much greater, there's no shortage of genetically suited pacific islanders, the sport is professional these days so it attracts more people to play, and the population is getting bigger, taller, stronger.
If you sent GI back to the 1950's and you told them he was a fullback they'd laugh at you

reanimate

Bench
Not only that but he show up in the ALF forum (I believe it's a forum dedicated to an alien who moved into a family home) this afternoon talking up some team called the Swans and their chances in 2014, whatever that means.

I love that show! I didn't know it had its own dedicated section here.

No idea what that Swans stuff is about though, never heard of it.

Springs

First Grade
In Sattler's era the best winger was Ken Irvine who's 5'8, no winger that height would even get into 1st grade these days. No disrespect to the players of the past but it's a different calibre of athlete in 2013, the pool of talent is much greater, there's no shortage of genetically suited pacific islanders, the sport is professional these days so it attracts more people to play, and the population is getting bigger, taller, stronger.
If you sent GI back to the 1950's and you told them he was a fullback they'd laugh at you

Yes cause El Masri, Slater, Barba, Burt, Turner, Gardner, K. Gordon, Tomkins, Zillman, Milford, M. Gordon, Coote, Locke, Bowen, Jennings, Koroibete, Nofoaluma, Utai etc are all soooooo huge at under 6 foot. In fact Utai is 5'6" and he played this year, not to mention won a premiership and played several tests. :lol:

Can't be bothered reading this thread or what Sattler may have said.

SBW is an athlete and a fantastic footy player in probably any code he chooses to play, he is marketable and the that shows with him being the darling of channel nine.

I hate his antics of chasing the dollars, that's his choice but it's not good for the sports he chooses to do this to and for that I can't stand the merkin

aqua_duck

Coach
Yes cause El Masri, Slater, Barba, Burt, Turner, Gardner, K. Gordon, Tomkins, Zillman, Milford, M. Gordon, Coote, Locke, Bowen, Jennings, Koroibete, Nofoaluma, Utai etc are all soooooo huge at under 6 foot. In fact Utai is 5'6" and he played this year, not to mention won a premiership and played several tests. :lol:

The game has changed a lot since when Hazem played, Utai is/was one of the best ball running wingers but will be lucky to make first grade again. The rest are either close to 6 ft tall (built like brick shithouses and possess track and field like speed) or are playmaking fullbacks. Short fullbacks can still exist because when the high ball goes up they're generally not under pressure or not isolated to a one on one contest, on the wing it's entirely different. I'm told Ken Irvine was lighting quick but he was 73kg, slap another 20kg on him and he'd come right back to the field, maybe he would've made it in 2013 as a fullback or centre but he's the absolute best from that era and rated the greatest of all time. If you put Eto Nabuli in the 1950's he'd be destroying sides single handedly, he'd be bigger than most of the props and as fast as the wingers

betcats

Referee
Can't be bothered reading this thread or what Sattler may have said.

SBW is an athlete and a fantastic footy player in probably any code he chooses to play, he is marketable and the that shows with him being the darling of channel nine.

I hate his antics of chasing the dollars, that's his choice but it's not good for the sports he chooses to do this to and for that I can't stand the merkin

Agree with all of this, he is a great player but also massive tool.

I understand why Roosters fans love him but this whole attitude that the game needs him and he should be able to do whatever he wants because he attracts attention is f**ked.

Springs

First Grade
The game has changed a lot since when Hazem played, Utai is/was one of the best ball running wingers but will be lucky to make first grade again. The rest are either close to 6 ft tall (built like brick shithouses and possess track and field like speed) or are playmaking fullbacks. Short fullbacks can still exist because when the high ball goes up they're generally not under pressure or not isolated to a one on one contest, on the wing it's entirely different. I'm told Ken Irvine was lighting quick but he was 73kg, slap another 20kg on him and he'd come right back to the field, maybe he would've made it in 2013 as a fullback or centre but he's the absolute best from that era and rated the greatest of all time. If you put Eto Nabuli in the 1950's he'd be destroying sides single handedly, he'd be bigger than most of the props and as fast as the wingers

If he was playing today he wouldn't be playing at 73kg...

The game has not changed that much in 4 years. The reason Utai will be lucky to make first grade again is because he is 32 years old, not because he is short. Burt and Turner both played last year and the game is barely different.

Your post was about being short, but now it's 'another 20kg and he'll be right'. Sam Tomkins only weighs around 80kg but regularly tears sides apart in the ESL and in tests.

This whole thing about every player having to be big and strong and heavy is part of what's ruining the game with the wrestling and the boring play.

You have no idea what Nabuli would be doing as it's a completely different game from a completely different era.

aqua_duck

Coach
If he was playing today he wouldn't be playing at 73kg...

The game has not changed that much in 4 years. The reason Utai will be lucky to make first grade again is because he is 32 years old, not because he is short. Burt and Turner both played last year and the game is barely different.

Your post was about being short, but now it's 'another 20kg and he'll be right'. Sam Tomkins only weighs around 80kg but regularly tears sides apart in the ESL and in tests.

This whole thing about every player having to be big and strong and heavy is part of what's ruining the game with the wrestling and the boring play.

You have no idea what Nabuli would be doing as it's a completely different game from a completely different era.
Matt Utai was one of the best wingers in the game 10 years ago but sudden became barely 1st grade standard and ended up playing for the mighty Auburn Warriors when he was in his mid-late 20's because teams became more tactical with their kicking. Burt and Turner were on borrowed time these last few years in any case.
Nabuli is 6'5, well over 100kg and quick, in the 50's there weren't any raw natural specimens like him because the game had such a small talent pool to choose from and there weren't any pacific islanders. The game back then was slower, less tactical, and the players smaller and less athletic, I know it's a hypothetical but you do the maths.

eozsmiles

Bench
Agree with all of this, he is a great player but also massive tool.

I understand why Roosters fans love him but this whole attitude that the game needs him and he should be able to do whatever he wants because he attracts attention is f**ked.

Everyone can do whatever they want as long as they don't break the law. He has as much right to choose a sport as you and I. He's just lucky that everybody says "yes". I don't think anyone needs him but they all want him. It's the next best thing.

But anyway, the old boys from Souths will be stoked to hear Sonny will re-sign for the roosters. Should make them happy to watch the over rated hack playing for the enemy.

Latest posts