What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould leaving Penrith

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
If true it's hardly surprising. He was always going to leave one day. I just hope and pray that the structures put into place last.

He has left the place in a far better place than when he found it.

I will always thank him for the work that he has done for the club.

Realistically though it was not tenable as couldn't help but meddle within the coaching ranks itself.

Likely wants the board to fully own the Ivan Cleary appointment. Nowhere to hide for the board now.

Overall Gus did a lot of good stuff, structurally repaired the club. The on field results have been mixed, though. Some bad coaching appointments in my view.

BREAKING: Gould, Panthers to part ways
By
Troy Dodds
-
April 23, 2019, 14:44
The Panthers will part ways with Executive General Manager Phil Gould.

There has been no official confirmation from the club but it is expected to make an announcement within days.

Panthers Chairman Dave O’Neill told the Weekender he was unable to comment when contacted a short time ago.

Today’s shock news ends Gould’s third stint at Penrith.

He played for the club in the late 1970s before returning as coach in 1990, guiding the Panthers to premiership success in 1991. He departed the club in controversial circumstances in 1994.

Gould returned in a ‘free rein’ capacity in 2011 after then Chairman Don Feltis convinced him to come on board to help resurrect the club’s fortunes.
His eight years back at the club has been a roller coaster ride.

He helped arrest the club’s massive debt, attracted major corporate partners like OAK and was the driving force behind building the Rugby League Academy.

But Gould has also had some missteps, including the bizarre hiring as Corey Payne as CEO and sacking Ivan Cleary in 2015 because he felt the coach was “tired’.

In recent times Gould’s autonomy at the club has been scaled back, which the Weekender understands has frustrated the 60-year-old, who also juggles commitments as a commentator with Channel Nine.

The beginning of the end was the return of Cleary to the club late last year. While not the specific cause of any drama, Cleary’s return coincided with new management structures that lessened Gould’s power at the club.
https://westernweekender.com.au/2019/04/breaking-gould-panthers-to-part-ways/

Whino

Bench
The Mole is now tweeting he is hearing Gould is close to walking at Penrith.
What Burk the Horse has already bolted.

mxlegend99

Referee
Shame it had to end like this. Him and Ivan were never going to last the year. Gould simply did not want him back.

I would've liked to see us win a premiership with Gus at the club. He put in a lot of work to repair the club.
100%.

Gus copped it hard for decisions he didnt even make. But he happily took the shit thrown at him to protect the club best he could.

He did a lot that I didn't agree with. But one of the last things he tried to do would have easily been his best move since arriving. Yet our board overruled him to replace one medicore coach with another. I think Ivan is slightly better... but neither comes close to Wayne Bennett.

The yak

Juniors
Another contract Gould couldn't fulfill.
Can't blame him for going with the mess Cleary & O'Neill have cocked up.
He now won't get to fire Ivan again.
I wonder if he returns in 2 years time when the wheels have fallen off?

Latest posts