What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould's Goosip

Canard

Immortal
skeepe said:
You're playing semantics. Richest in that they are better off than a majority of the clubs. That would make them one of the richest clubs, without making them rich per se.

Sorry confused. Without trying to play semantics (whatever that means).

Do we have any evidence etc. that the Raiders are "rich" in comparision with other NRL clubs?

Canard

Immortal
skeepe said:
I would say the fact that there is the backing of several leagues clubs in Canberra, Queanbeyan and Brisbane, that all the sponsors are tied up until 2009 and that many of the players are the same.

What I was saying is that they would be one of the richer clubs compared to the other clubs in the competition, ie they are in the top half financially. This alone would define them as one of the richer clubs, IMO.

Without trying to have a go, is this a "gut" feeling that you have?

I mean for example lots of teams (besides the knights) have Leagues Clubs and major sponsors (mind you if I was a CFMEU member I would be pissed that my fees were going to sponsor a football team).

And as for a Brisbane based leagues club, I doubt for example that Brisbane Norths Leagues club monies used to go to the Melbourne Storm (when they were still toghether)

Stranger

Coach
skeepe said:
I would say the fact that there is the backing of several leagues clubs in Canberra, Queanbeyan and Brisbane, that all the sponsors are tied up until 2009 and that many of the players are the same.

What I was saying is that they would be one of the richer clubs compared to the other clubs in the competition, ie they are in the top half financially. This alone would define them as one of the richer clubs, IMO.

So you have no facts to back up that you are one of the richest clubs?
There would be a fair few clubs that are richer than Canberra thats for sure.

HevyDevy

Coach
Raiders Plight said:
no one ever rated our senior players anyway, excpet for Schif.

-Woolford could turn a game for us but he also stifled our attack on many occasions.

-Croker was well past it and his ball handling was getting into bulgarelli territory.

-smith was a great buy for us but there was no point hanging onto him, need to give the youngsters a go

-mogg is a loss and we will miss his experience but he was hardly the most talented centre around

-Schif is our biggest loss and we will suffer early on in the season for it

Although Canberra fans will tell me I'm an idiot, this is my unbiased opinion on the Raiders:

In a few years they will be a very good team. There is without doubt a lot of talent coming through.

BUT they will struggle this season. You simply can't lose that much experience at once and cope well. Raw talent doesn't make up for inexperience.

So still think it's the spoon for Canberra this year but they'll be a handful once their young players mature.

nqboy

First Grade
Stranger said:
Do you have any facts to back that up?

kooriguy

Juniors
lol the raiders would have no-where near the financial security of the panthers with our leagues club being the biggest in the southern hemisphere, and only star city has more pokies. and which clubs are they better off then wouldnt be souths or bulldogs or brisbane maybe cronulla or manly but that is no mean feat.

Edwahu

Bench
Stranger said:
Yeah thats exactly what he thinks :lol: :lol: !!!!

Canberra shot JFK.

How can a prediction be such a 'damaging statement'.

I was talking about the comments Skeepe has brought up from the footy guide - clearly a bit more to them then just predicting where we will finish.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Canberra don't just their own football club, they "own" multilple clubs throughout Canberra, Queanbeyan and I believe they've moved into Brisbane.

mxlegend99

Referee
Drop 50 bucks on each of the teams he mentioned as no chance.

Last time Panthers were picked as the spooners from Gould, we got the gold :)

Although i think for the most part, this is reasonable. The season hasn't kicked off and it's going to be impossible to get it right this early. Up until Origin last year, not a single person would have tipped Cowboys to miss the 8.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to pick Canberra for the spoon, however I think it's irresponsible of Gould to make negative comments on the clubs future in the NRL without any evidence to back them up. Particularly when he's the only one saying it.

nqboy

First Grade
Gould, "I know a secret. Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah." Cue smug smile on beesting face.

Raider Azz

Bench
Stranger said:
Do YOU have facts to back THAT up?

The Raiders own various different clubs in Canberra, rural NSW and Brisbane.
The Raiders recently lined up a full array of sponsers - jersey, sleeve, shorts and signage for the next 3 years. (CFMEU, Local Liquor, Canberra Milk, The Tradies Club)
We have a core group of our players (Neville Costigan, Phil Graham, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Josh Miller, Lincoln Withers, William Zillman, Troy Thompson) all signed up til 2009 and 2010.

All these FACTS tell me that my club is in no kind of "trouble" like Gould seems to think.

Raider Azz

Bench
Canard said:
(mind you if I was a CFMEU member I would be pissed that my fees were going to sponsor a football team).

And as for a Brisbane based leagues club, I doubt for example that Brisbane Norths Leagues club monies used to go to the Melbourne Storm (when they were still toghether)
Luckily you're not a CFMEU member then, eh? :roll:

The Raiders own Souths Logan leagues club, so of course the money is going to them.

Danish

Referee
Raiders Plight said:
if i was a conspiracy theorist i would say he wants the raiders gone so the roosters can take over our junior area. They have already poached soward and monaghan.

It still makes me laugh that Raiders fans claim Soward as "theirs".

From Wagga isn't he? Just a casual 250kms outside the city :lol:

A bit like a Sydney team claiming kids from Newcastle as "theirs"

skeepe

Immortal
Danish said:

I don't think it's that... I think it's more the fact that he played in our junior grades. Unless you think that a player playing in the junior grades for a club isn't a part of that club?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
 Sharks On paper there's no reason they can't play finals footy. New coach Ricky Stuart will bring intensity to training and preparations. Their best form last season was with Adam Dykes at halfback. When he moved, they went backwards. They need to find consistency.
geez he hates Kimmorley.

That is a long line though.

hrundi99

First Grade
Danish said:

Idiot...

greenhat

Juniors
The difference, Danish, is that Canberra is a regional southern NSW team. We're called 'Canberra' but we were based in Queanbeyan when we started and half the teams in the Canberra District Rugby League are NSW country towns. Canberra is just the biggest city in southern NSW, so thats where the team is.

What if the Titans claimed players from north coast nsw? Next you'll be telling me Cowboys fans call kids from Cairns or Mackay local juniors!
aha
how ridiculous!

Raider_69

Post Whore
kooriguy said:
lol the raiders would have no-where near the financial security of the panthers with our leagues club being the biggest in the southern hemisphere, and only star city has more pokies. and which clubs are they better off then wouldnt be souths or bulldogs or brisbane maybe cronulla or manly but that is no mean feat.

Penrith, Brisbane and Melbourne would be the only clubs more secure backed, leagues club wise then us. We had a string of them, very successful ones at that, backing us, 9 seems to be a number that is ringing in my head for some reason, and add to it, most of them will not have to contend with the proposed poxie tax (assuming thats still on the agenda? anyone confirm?), as said, we have the sponsors locked in for the next few years and the squad is signed up for the foreseeable future also. We are a one town team.
We are in absolutely no danger of folding, infact id say when the licenses come up again, we'll be amongst the first to be locked in

Gould has no reason to be making these sorts of assertions about the club. put up or shut up gould

Latest posts