What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould's Goosip

Scarves

Juniors
I don't always agree with his opinions, actually some of his opinions seem to be based on underlying agenda (visa vie Beck & Buzz) - but I like Gus.

Look at it this way, his polarising opinions get people talking about Rugby League, it takes the game into the spotlight and stokes the flame of argument.

Debate on the game is great for the game, and this thread is testament to that.

Cheers, Scarves.

Canard

Immortal
Raider Azz said:
Do YOU have facts to back THAT up?

The Raiders own various different clubs in Canberra, rural NSW and Brisbane.
The Raiders recently lined up a full array of sponsers - jersey, sleeve, shorts and signage for the next 3 years. (CFMEU, Local Liquor, Canberra Milk, The Tradies Club)
We have a core group of our players (Neville Costigan, Phil Graham, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Josh Miller, Lincoln Withers, William Zillman, Troy Thompson) all signed up til 2009 and 2010.

All these FACTS tell me that my club is in no kind of "trouble" like Gould seems to think.

If thats the case then, and Im not saying its not correct. (I havent seen anything to back it up but will take your word for it).

What are they doing with all their monies then? Is the current admin just poor at player recruitment or are they choosing not to spend it on their roster??

Raider_69

Post Whore
Canard said:
If thats the case then, and Im not saying its not correct. (I havent seen anything to back it up but will take your word for it).

What are they doing with all their monies then? Is the current admin just poor at player recruitment or are they choosing not to spend it on their roster??

there is a thing called the salary cap mate, we cant spend any more on players then the poor clubs.
Admin before this year were heavily critised for their lack of recruitment and retention policies, but things look to be on the up on all aspects of the club.

Canard

Immortal
So without the Salary Cap would Canberra be up the top of the tree in terms of players strength etc.?

Cause no offence but probably on the Cowboys recruited worse than you guys in the off-season.

jimmyo

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
there is a thing called the salary cap mate, we cant spend any more on players then the poor clubs.
Admin before this year were heavily critised for their lack of recruitment and retention policies, but things look to be on the up on all aspects of the club.
Wealthier clubs bring more fringe benefits than other clubs - better facilities, support staff, coaches, and most importantly, better mad-monday and end of season trip celebrations.

If you think the Raiders are wealthier than the Rorters, Parra and St George you're out of your tree. There was table published in the SMH last year with those 3 at the top along with the Storm, Panthers, Broncos and a few others but I honestly can't remember where the Raiders were - I'd personally be surprised if they were in the top half.

Raider_69

Post Whore
facilities? ohh what you mean like the AIS? Forget the NRL, we've got access to the best facilities in the bloody country. Our support staff is of unknown quality since we've revamped the entire staff on and off the field but all come highly regarded and recommended.

And yes, we are well within the top half of clubs when it comes to wealth

jimmyo

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
And yes, we are well within the top half of clubs when it comes to wealth

:shock:

Well anyway what I'm really talking about is Gaz the show pony getting a stack of dough from channel 9 to stay in the league while Schifcofske, who was of just as much value to the Raiders, is allowed to be poached by union. What a disgrace!

Evergreen

Juniors
jimmyo said:
:shock:

Well anyway what I'm really talking about is Gaz the show pony getting a stack of dough from channel 9 to stay in the league while Schifcofske, who was of just as much value to the Raiders, is allowed to be poached by union. What a disgrace!

To be fair, Schifcofske's main motivation was family related. As long as there was a viable option in QLD, he was always going to go.

Raider Azz

Bench
jimmyo said:
Wealthier clubs bring more fringe benefits than other clubs - better facilities, support staff, coaches, and most importantly, better mad-monday and end of season trip celebrations.

If you think the Raiders are wealthier than the Rorters, Parra and St George you're out of your tree. There was table published in the SMH last year with those 3 at the top along with the Storm, Panthers, Broncos and a few others but I honestly can't remember where the Raiders were - I'd personally be surprised if they were in the top half.
Have you seen the Raiders facilities? ACTEW AGL Park, probably one of the best training facilities in the NRL. Not to mention we also have access to the AIS as 69 has already mentioned. We're certaintly not the richest club in the competition, but I'd put us in the top 8.

skeepe

Immortal
Canard said:
Cause no offence but probably on the Cowboys recruited worse than you guys in the off-season.

I beg to differ. Penrith, Newcastle, Parramatta, St. George, Bulldogs... all lost their fair share of players and signed nobody of note. The Raiders at the very least signed quite a few regular first graders who, while they may not set the world on fire, are always great value and are far better players than many give them credit for. Names like Colin Best, Matt Bickerstaff, Scott Logan, Andrew Dunemann, Neville Costigan and Glen Turner. All would outrank who the aforementioned clubs have signed for the forthcoming season.

peter_raiders

Juniors
Canard said:

Having all these young guys on the up, i'd say the club is trying to keep a bit of salary cap space up their sleeves to accomodate payrises and so on as players get better and play more first grade over the next few years.

Thats the thing with media, it helps a lot of you formulate opinions on the raiders which couldn't be further from the truth, while, I agree, we may struggle this year, our facilities are 2nd to none, and the clubs wealth, incredibly stable.

Latest posts