What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould's Goosip

Mr Saab

Referee
Father Dougal McGuire said:
I love all of these people getting shirty and getting personal because he didn't pick their team to make the 8

Its comical.
Yes he made some comments about some teams...so what.

Johns Magic

Referee
skeepe said:
I'm getting sick of Gould and his rants. In the footy guide today, he kept insinuating that the Raiders are in some form of off-field trouble, as he has all off-season, yet he didn't have the balls to say why he thought that or what proof he has.

Given that the club is one of the richest in the competition, I'm really struggling to figure out where all this supposed doom and gloom is coming from. Is Gould involved in a push to kill the Raiders? Spreading mis-information is the first step, then everyone seems to believe that they're in trouble. Wouldn't surprise me, the merkin has no integrity whatsoever.

Gould, if you believe you've got some information that the Raiders are going down the gurgler, grow some balls and print it or shut the f**k up.

It's that bloody media conspiring against the Raiders again isn't it skeepe?

Damn them all to hell! :lol:

I have to laugh at fans who gets the sh*ts when people tip againt their side, as if it's some kind of personal attack or something. The NRL is so competitive that no team can be written off yet when someone, even in an individual game where it's a 50-50 guess, picks against a side the fans of that side whinge about it and then gloat even more if that person was wrong. I'm not a Raiders fan but I have always wanted them to do well because I want Canberra to be a league town again, but the chips Raiders fans have on their shoulder about other people's predictions is so off-putting. No one knows who's going to win this year, Raiders fans included, but people in the media are paid to make predictions. You can't whinge and moan when they don't pick your team. They can't say everyone's going to win the comp. The best you can hope for is that they are wrong. I doubt Gus has an agenda against the Raiders. He has said he is concerned about the Raiders' future and I must say so am I. Canberra is struggling to support its professional sporting teams (Canons, whatever the soccer team was etc have all gone) and it's not as if they Raiders haven't been in deep trouble before. That, combined with the fact he rates other sides above the Raiders in the title race, doesn't mean he is part of a conspiracy against the Raiders. To suggest he wants them gone so the Roosters (whom he no longer has formal ties with) can take their juniors (which wouldn't be possible even if the Raiders did fold) is laughable.

Dutchy

Immortal
Originally Posted by Father Dougal McGuire
I love all of these people getting shirty and getting personal because he didn't pick their team to make the 8

he tipped us higher than i did..

Hes still a NUFFIE!!!!

Stranger

Coach
Johns Magic said:
It's that bloody media conspiring against the Raiders again isn't it skeepe?

Damn them all to hell! :lol:

Unless you say they are a great club and heading for a great future with their juniors, your a conspiracy theorist death riding them.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Stranger said:
Unless you say they are a great club and heading for a great future with their juniors, your a conspiracy theorist death riding them.

Anything less than a premiership prediction and you shouldn't set foot within 100 miles of the ACT.

Edwahu

Bench
The issue is Gould implies that there are real problems at the club and that its future is under threat. It is nothing to do with where he thinks we will finish - we are use to him predicting we will run last by now. He should put up or shut up and produce some evidence if he is going to come out with such damaging statements.

jimmyo

Juniors
When did the Raiders become so rich? They can't be as rich as the likes of the Rooters, Parra or St George, so are we saying they are richer than Nth QLD or Cronulla? Big deal! They need help - they can't attract players and the game will D.I.E in Canberra if they aren't winning games - that's just the way top level sport goes.

Slackboy72

Coach
I wouldnt at all be surprised to see the brumbies leave for melbourne within the next five years so lets hope the raiders stay strong so we can capitalise on the juniors within the area.

That has to be the most ill-informed and uneducated thing I've heard someone suggest ever. The Brumbies are owned and run by ACT Rugby. One of the proudest and strongest conglomerations of rugby clubs in the world thanks to the commercial behemoth that is the Tuggeranong Vikings (the Rugby club that ate the world). They boast a nursery of fantastic talent thanks to the Canberra GPSs (who were kicked out of the NSW GPS comp for winning it too often). They would rather fold entirely than move from Canberra.

But as to the Raiders, I think they have three problems.
1. Noone wants to go to Antarctica (Bruce) to watch them play boring football and lose;
2. People have taken the Brumbies to heart as they usually had no provincial team to follow before while only the young kids have adopted the Raiders. The older people (30+) still have allegiances to other sides. Given that, most people would rather give their beer money and allegiances to the Brumbies; and
3. The backroom people and players have behaved poorly and burnt a lot of bridges over the years. Canberra is a small town and word does get around. The Brumbies, like the Kookaburras before them have a good rep in the local community.

jamesgould

Juniors
Edwahu said:
The issue is Gould implies that there are real problems at the club and that its future is under threat. It is nothing to do with where he thinks we will finish - we are use to him predicting we will run last by now. He should put up or shut up and produce some evidence if he is going to come out with such damaging statements.

Did you read what he said?

Canberra Just about every senior player coming off contract (plus the coach) walked off to greener pastures. What does it mean? I don't know yet but surely it can't be good.

I think you are reading way too much into it. I took it to mean it can't be good for their on-field performances this year (this being, after all, an article about which side will finish where).

Stranger

Coach
Edwahu said:

Gus Gould said:
 Canberra Just about every senior player coming off contract (plus the coach) walked off to greener pastures. What does it mean? I don't know yet but surely it can't be good.

Yeah thats exactly what he thinks :lol: :lol: !!!!

Canberra shot JFK.

How can a prediction be such a 'damaging statement'.

skeepe

Immortal
jamesgould said:
Did you read what he said?

I think you are reading way too much into it. I took it to mean it can't be good for their on-field performances this year (this being, after all, an article about which side will finish where).

Sorry mate, I mustn't have made it clear, I was referring to the footy guide that came with the SMH today.

In it, he wrote

The wooden spoon will be the least of this club's problems - watch this space, folks

This is a club in real trouble - and I mean real trouble. Sorry Raiders fans.

While previously he has written

I have grave concerns for their future in the NRL. I hope I'm wrong, but I can see some real tough times for this club

Gould has been consistently hinting that there's something amiss with the club, and that our future is in doubt. If he thinks he has information, it's time for him to put up or shut up. Hinting and creating doubt in the minds of others around the traps does nobody any good.

Canard

Immortal
skeepe said:
Given that the club is one of the richest in the competition, I'm really struggling to figure out where all this supposed doom and gloom is coming from. Is Gould involved in a push to kill the Raiders? .

Ehh...?? Have you got some stats to back that up? Im happy to stand corrected but I would be astonished if they are "rich".

With Raiders fans on Gus's agenda however, Melbourne had been the team he was on a one man crusade to get rid of, but that has backfired on him so he is searching around for another target.

skeepe

Immortal
Canard said:
Ehh...?? Have you got some stats to back that up? Im happy to stand corrected but I would be astonished if they are "rich".

With Raiders fans on Gus's agenda however, Melbourne had been the team he was on a one man crusade to get rid of, but that has backfired on him so he is searching around for another target.

You're playing semantics. Richest in that they are better off than a majority of the clubs. That would make them one of the richest clubs, without making them rich per se.

_Johnsy

Referee
BlaC_WIte_"N"_BlUE said:
sucked in dragons your not gonna win the comp now~!

Now see everyone here is the end result, of when cousins have unprotected sex. :crazy:

skeepe

Immortal
Stranger said:
So what defines them as rich?

I would say the fact that there is the backing of several leagues clubs in Canberra, Queanbeyan and Brisbane, that all the sponsors are tied up until 2009 and that many of the players are the same.

What I was saying is that they would be one of the richer clubs compared to the other clubs in the competition, ie they are in the top half financially. This alone would define them as one of the richer clubs, IMO.

Latest posts