What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Government to ban live sports betting ads

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Government to ban live sports betting ads

May 27, 2011 - 9:59AM

The federal government is expected to announce an end to the live updating of betting odds during the broadcast of sporting events.
Federal Sports Minister Mark Arbib will hold a teleconference with the NRL, AFL, ARU, Football Federation Australia, Cricket Australia and Netball Australia on Friday, The Daily Telegraph says.
Collingwood football club president and media personality Eddie McGuire told his radio program on Triple M radio in Melbourne on Friday that Senator Arbib would announce the ban after the meetings.

"My understanding is ... they will announce, or a push towards, a ban on odds mentioned during radio and TV broadcasts of sporting with the exception of pay and free to air racing," McGuire said.

LINK

Works for me, I am over being told what the odds are every 10 minutes.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Good. Constant bettings odds updates take the focus off the football. If only they could ban show cross-promotions at the same time...

whall15

Coach
Actually will they be able to mention the name of Penrith's stadium during telecasts?

Danish

Referee
Why do the NRL and other sports organizations need to be involved?

I'd have thought the TV networks would be the ones to talk to given it's then selling and profiting from the ads.

No doubt this will be used as a reason to low ball us on the TV rights

user_nat

Coach
Why do the NRL and other sports organizations need to be involved?

I'd have thought the TV networks would be the ones to talk to given it's then selling and profiting from the ads.

No doubt this will be used as a reason to low ball us on the TV rights

Exactly what I was thinking. The various sports bodies have nothing to do with the constant betting ads.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hooray! Not that I give a f**k about problem gambling, but this will shut commentators up about live odds constantly

hitman82

Bench
Excellent, I find the gambling focus sleazy and annoying.
When I make a punt I just check the odds on the net - don't need it interrupting my gametime viewing.
I'd rather they show cheer leaders at half time

El Diablo

Post Whore
Conjob is on TV now saying it doesn't apply to existing contracts betting agencies have with networks

Silent Knight

First Grade
The less I see Munsie's or Sullo's heads, the better I reckon.

This. GTFO Munsie and take your half time odds rubbish with you. I hope I never have the misfortune of seeing your face on TV again.

100.jpg

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Good call. Hate all the betting talk.

On a side note. Anyone else think that Sterlo talking up X-Men during origin was just a little humorous?

babyg

Juniors
I thought it added another dimension to games when not shoved down you throat.

Why does this not count for horse racing. A sport designed and operated for the sole purpose of gambling. Horse Racing should be banned.

This will effect our TV rights.

Latest posts