What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower - claimed to be gooooooooone

Panther_Daz said:
I dont think Penrith will retain Sammut for the 2009 season. Last year about 10 clubs were chasing him, for 2009 i think he will end up at Souths to play fullback.

well , we should have plenty of money with Gower gone.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
To be honest it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Elliott has decided to let Gower go and given Firman an entire season in Premier league to get his feel for the game back.

Let's be frank in 2003 Firman was just as good as Slater in the rookie of the year race and seriously looked like the goods for the entire season. Got injured early in 2004 and that was all she wrote for him at the Dragons. He never looked like he had any run in his legs at the Roosters and then the Cowboys and for a player who loves to take it to the line to pass - being able to get off the mark quickly is vital.

Firman as the Panthers half in 2008 is actually a pretty good option if you really think about it.

What really hurts the Panthers with Gower leaving is the fact his 400+ contract (or so) wasn't off their books when they were discussing a new contract with Peter Wallace.

mxlegend99

Referee
KeepingTheFaith said:
It's a sad day for the media, one of their easiest sources of a news headline is about to depart. Good for the rest of us because now we won't have to hear about it.

Perhaps now Matt Eliiot will open up this so called salary cap "War Chest" that we heard all about, but haven't seen any evidence of. Considering it's Elliot, I seriously doubt it.
Only thing is, Elliott can name who he wants, our management has to sign them. And they are f*cking useless.

m0j0

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21970018-23214,00.html
Panthers let Gower go

June 26, 2007

PENRITH has agreed to release star halfback Craig Gower from the final two years of his NRL contract to join France rugby club Bayonne from 2008.

Gower met with Panthers coach Matthew Elliott yesterday Monday and told him he wanted an early release.

A formal request was made by his manager, Greg Willett, this morning, with the Panthers agreeing in principle to release the former Australia and New Sotuh Wales halfback from his current deal.

The request will be put to the Penrith board at its regular meeting tomorrow.

Gower will play out the rest of this season for the Panthers.

"We have reluctantly agreed in principle to Craig's request, because we believe that under the circumstances it is in his best interests to have a change," said general manager Michael Leary.

"Our decision was based on the great service that Craig has given our club.

"He has been with us since he was 14 years-old and is now ranked third (228) in the highest number of first-grade games for Penrith.

"In making this decision, the club wishes Craig and (wife) Amanda the very best for the future.

"We look forward to Craig finishing the year on a high note - and he is determined to do so.

"The club not only values Craig's contribution on the field and in the community, we also want to maintain a friendship with one of our greatest-ever players."

mxlegend99

Referee
woodgers said:
So I presume he'll be dropped to premier league and play in the centres this week then?
Wallace played lock. He also got shifted to halfback for part the game.
Richie Williams played centre.

There's not enough room for Gower in Premier League. A shift to hooker would be a better idea IMO. I'd have the following:

1. Jarrod Sammut
6. Richie Williams
7. Brett Firman
9. Craig Gower
17. Peter Wallace

Then bump our NSW Under 17's stars p to Premier League and get them ready for next season.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Thomas said:
Who for?

Italy?

You know how airlines offer "Mystery flights" ?

When unused tickets are still available, anyone hangin around the airport can get them really cheap.

Gower would just buy one of these, and whatever country he landed in, that'd be the country he would play fo in the RUWC.

He's never lpayed top level RU before. That team would finish top 8.

Glenn

First Grade
eelavation said:
just wondering if those who bagged Danny Weidler are now likely to backtrack and apologise to the bloke.

I for one accused him of lying on this occasion and would be more than happy to publicaly apologise, anyone else?

Ditto with the apology. :oops:

Redback71

First Grade
far out! they must be mighty peeved after loosing wallace. No half or 5/8th combo for next year (thats good) as yet.

Panthers are stuffed for 2008, wooden spoon certanties

Caged Panther

First Grade
There is a world of difference between gower and wallace.

Wallace is a young guy with barley half a season of first grade experience.

Gower on the other hand has been playing first grade for 10 years, played for australia, nsw and won us a premiership. For that reason alone he has earned the right to remain in the side despite his decision to leave.

Wallace on the other hand hasn't earned that kind of latitude.

Glenn

First Grade
Not about earning latitude, rather having your best side on the field.
Realistically the chances of Penrith making the semis are non existant, why not plan for the future without Gower,Clinton?

The Tank

Bench
Glenn said:
Not about earning latitude, rather having your best side on the field.
Realistically the chances of Penrith making the semis are non existant, why not plan for the future without Gower,Clinton?

I'd love it if Elliott did that, Piss all 3 off now and blood some talent. Also drop Priddis and Wesser and bring in some new boys.

Hurriflatch

Referee
I guess we now know what the word of Craig Gower is worth, all the things he denied in the past now look a lot more likley to be true.

AS for Weilder he didn't apologise for all the times he was wrong so I'm not going to apologise when he gets lucky and gets one right

Munky

Coach
Weidler wasn't right though.

The dribbler claimed an immediate release was being sought by Gower to go play union for Italy in this years world cup.

Instead his release is after the season and to play in France.

Latest posts