What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GOWER wants OUT!!!

LESStar58

Referee
He's off contract next year isn't he?

With all the trouble he's caused I'd be inclined to release him if he wants to go!

choc_soldier

Coach
Josh McCrone was, I believe, the Raiders Flegg halfback. Signed him up the same day we got Richie Williams. Not sure if it was effective immedaitely, or whether he joins us in '08.

choc_soldier

Coach
Well, Gower may have denied it, but his manager is insisting that it's true... after speaking to Wiedler...

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/no-place-like-rome-for-gower/2007/06/23/1182019428605.html

No place like Rome for Gower
Daniel Lane | June 24, 2007

EMBATTLED Craig Gower has denied any intention of leaving Penrith to play rugby union for Italy in the World Cup this year, but his manager has insisted the Panthers captain wanted out of his NRL contract.

"Craig does want to explore a career in Europe and we are looking around at the moment,'' Greg Willett told Sun-Herald columnist Danny Weidler.

"Now is the time.

"The thing he is upset about is that people are thinking he is trying to get
out of the club before the season is over. That is not the case. ``He is not deserting his mates in their time of need.''

After Penrith's humiliating 54-14 loss to the New Zealand Warriors on Friday night, Gower denied a report he intended to walk out on the club to play rugby union in Italy in time for the World Cup.

"I have not sought a release," he told 2GB yesterday. "I won't be. I'm with the club, I've committed to the club until otherwise. It's up to me in the future to speak to the club about. We've got that understanding. We've always had that understanding.

"It's [the rumour] not good for the team, it's not good for the supporters. We're struggling at the moment, I suppose we're just easy pickings."

The story comes hot on the heels of lapses in Gower's game. He played poorly against the Warriors and last weekend he dropped the ball to allow the Roosters victory in the dying seconds.

Willett said the Italians had not yet made a play for Gower.

The NRL banned Gower from playing club rugby in France last year but permitted him to train with a French team.

Wallabies great Mark Ella, who coached Italian club side Parma, laughed at the suggestion the former NSW Origin halfback would walk into the Italian national team.
Gower could theoretically qualify for the Azzurri because he's entitled to an Italian passport.
Ella, however, warned that selection in the Six Nations team would be much harder than his supporters might believe.

"He wouldn't walk straight into the Italian team," he said. "Italy has some decent rugby players … he hasn't even played over there, has he?

"It would be a joke if Italy did that. They would become the laughing stock of European rugby if they picked him. They've made great inroads internationally.

"I just can't see Italy doing it. Italy does not need Craig Gower."

The Penrith halfback would need to be selected over two established players to represent Italy.

Halfback Alessandro Troncon is the most capped of any Italian rugby player. Early this year he was named man of the match when he scored a try in Italy's first overseas victory against Scotland. He was man of the match in the 20-7 loss to England.

Italy's five-eighth Ramiro Pez has extensive experience in the French and English competitions.

The Argentinian-born player helped engineer Italy's 26-23 win against Wales in March with an astute kicking game.

Source: The Sun-Herald
There's a "rebuttal" from Wiedler in his back page column today, saying that Gower can call him all the names he likes, but insists that his story is true, saying that he wants a release, despite the denials made by Gower himself.

My cuz just saw them at Auckland Airport and he said that Gower was walking round like an idiot and acting like a tosser...par for the course really.

Wesser was also on crutches ???...

Caged Panther

First Grade
Wesser could be out for two weeks or the season depending on whether the bone in the foot is broken or bruised. Either way hopefully Jarrod Samutt gets a run in first grade but my guess is Williams will get the nod.

As for weidler I believe there could be some truth to it. Having said that what did you expect Weidler to say he lied.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Gower is good as gone how many times do we hear players say they arent going to another team then sometimes as soon as the next day they have signed...

Latest posts