What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grading the Queenslanders

Eelectrica

Referee
Can't believe the final score, definately not a true indication of the way the match went. Congrats also must go to Brett Finch. Great game on such short notice, and what a field goal to seal the game.

Onto the Queensland grading:
Forwards: D. Couldn't stop the rolland never really got onto a roll. Plenty of missed tackles. Dallas Johnson, hope Melbourne don't need you for a few weeks, because Queensland don't with acts like that.

Halves: E. Thurston tried his best, mean while Lockyer had surely his worst game ever in any grade. Couldn't get anything right.

Backs: C. Bowen and Hodges tried their best. The rest of the backs made some dumb errors at bad times. Belll is a centre, not a winger and it showed. Bye Bye Tate, shouldn't have been picked in the first place.

Bench: D. Made minumum impact, wasn't really used all that well though.

Coaching: F. All week we've heard how spot on the week of preparation has been. If that's the result of a perfect week of practice, I'd hate to see a bad one. Attack was disjointed, defence all over the map, and the use of the bench was terrible. What's John Lang doing next year?

Congrats to New South Wales on Game 1. Just hope Queensland can make a game of it for the next one or game 3 in Melbourne is going to be a disaster.

Eelectrica

Referee
Eelementary said:
What about Queensland's 18th player, Sean Hampstead?

I thought he was your best.
Yes, Apparently the reason he was ref instead of Steven Clarke was because of the Queensland panel. :lol:
Didn't work though :roll:

Hampster was terrible, no doubt. I think Lockyer's preformance as a player was worse than Hampsteads as ref though :shock:

nöyd

Staff member
Queensland's problem was staying at some resort and being pampered for the whole camp.

Mal needs to get a copy of Rocky IV, where Rocky goes back to basics, no fancy equipment, no modern technology, just good old fashioned hard work and a sh*tload of elbow grease.

I love living in enemy territory, especially when NSW win.

Queensland :lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I was just kidding.

Though I wasn't amused when he penalised Buderus for Johnson kicking him in the head...

James_Hardie

Juniors
Eelementary said:
I was just kidding.

Though I wasn't amused when he penalised Buderus for Johnson kicking him in the head...

What could he do? Matt Chechin the linesman ran on the field. Once that happens he has to give a penalty.

strider

Post Whore
James_Hardie said:
What could he do? Matt Chechin the linesman ran on the field. Once that happens he has to give a penalty.
yeah chechin deserves an upper cut - buderus never even landed the punch .... and where the f**k is the video ref in all this?

match officials = :crazy:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Exactly!

That COULD have been a pivotal call in the match, and, as it turns out, the incorrect one. And yet the video ref was silent...

TheParraboy

Staff member
nöyd said:
Mal needs to get a copy of Rocky IV, where Rocky goes back to basics, no fancy equipment, no modern technology, just good old fashioned hard work and a sh*tload of elbow grease.

Ivan Drugo: "I must break you"
Rocky: "go for it"

:lol:

I agree, and send the Qlders on a one way ticket to Russia :lol:

nöyd

Staff member
TheParraboy said:
Ivan Drugo: "I must break you"
Rocky: "go for it"

:lol:

I agree, and send the Qlders on a one way ticket to Russia :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

emjaycee

Coach
Match Review panel claim Buderas penalty could have gone the other way, but Johnston will not be cited.

Damn!!

Parra Guru

Coach
The NSW forwards were aiming up on Johnson all night and he got hammered!!! The score flattered QLD in the end.

Lockyer and Thurston were absolutely hopeless. Passes were inaccurate all night and the kicking game was worse. The only highlight was JT's goal kicking.

The forwards were absolutely pathetic. Cam Smith was the best of them along with Thaiday who, IMO, didn't get enough game time.

QLD looked under prepared with no direction.

No one from NSW was disappointing. I think it was one of the most dominant displays from the Blues in the first half I have ever seen.

Best for the Blues:

Mason
Menzies (What a f**king legend!! Big hits all night and also looked great in attack)
Gasnier

Just to much fire power as I predicted but got laughed at...Stagg and Johnson too small...fair enough to have workers but you need blokes to bust the line (ie. Mason). It helps to have most of the Australian pack and bench in your team.

Lockyer doesn't shine at Origin level and as a "go to" man it's back peddling straight away. Out of our side, Nate Myles played well and Hodges in glimpses. Greg Inglis' work to hold that ball from Lockyer, pivot and get to the line for his first meatie was probably my highlight of the night (except for me visualising all you Blues starting to crap your dacks once it got to 16 all...bloody Brett Finch).

As for the Parra boys, my take is that Hindy did what he just does, Guru was good in patches (nice try save in the first half) and Tahu didn't do too much to rate a mention.

Stuffed if I know how we got to within a point but I guess that either says something about the cue in the rack or a bit of fight from our blokes. I suspect the latter.

I'll say this much, even if we had nicked that game in the end, one of the most boring games of footy I have ever watched. The dewy ground played a part, the lack of intensity played a part and Telstra Stadium played a part. I heard one NSW...NSW chant all night and a bit of noise when it got to 16 all....apart from that nothing.

As for the surface, maybe the good thing about going to Melbourne for the 3rd is if it is a decider then with the roof closed it should guarantee a dryer, faster track which should promote a good game of footy.

Had no problems with Hampstead except he probably was a bit to relaxed with the whistle for holding down (on both sides) but they didn't really look in any hurry to get quick play the balls???

sooperdooper

First Grade
nöyd said:
Queensland's problem was staying at some resort and being pampered for the whole camp.

I love living in enemy territory, especially when NSW win.

Queensland :lol:

i think we may need a copy of that here at the eels

strider

Post Whore
I am quite surprised the NSW forwards dominated as much as they did ... in all honesty the scoreline is very flattering to Qld - I think NSW could easily have won by 30 if they stuck to it - I guess qld deserve recognition for hanging in there.

Anyway, back to the forwards - I thought Qld would have been rolling Thaiday, Webb and Myles at NSW all night - but bloody Thaiday was held back too much.

ParraAds

Juniors
Too many small forwards, people wrap Dallas Johnson and David Stagg but both of them did sweet f.a.
Tom Learoyd Lars needs to be picked for the second match, hes massive and ultra powerful. With him in the backrow with Crocker they'd have a lot more flare, unfortunately we wont see it this year.

Latest posts