What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graeme Langlands

Old Timer

Coach
So true guys. The Dragons are the real victim here

ffs
Stop being a dick head
I am not diminishing the severity of the allegations against Langlands but the allegations against him are absolutely nothing to do with our club and it is eronuous of the paper to try and link the two by splashing our club colours etc all over the paper.
In respect of Chase what I said is perfectly correct, hardly a Dragon Star nor a current player so why are the 2 joined by the paper?
If you had a company and a former employee made the front page of the paper for allegations of improper conduct would you want your company logo and brand all over the front page in an effort to look like it has something to do with you or your company?

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Stop being a dick head
I am not diminishing the severity of the allegations against Langlands but the allegations against him are absolutely nothing to do with our club and it is eronuous of the paper to try and link the two by splashing our club colours etc all over the paper.
In respect of Chase what I said is perfectly correct, hardly a Dragon Star nor a current player so why are the 2 joined by the paper?
If you had a company and a former employee made the front page of the paper for allegations of improper conduct would you want your company logo and brand all over the front page in an effort to look like it has something to do with you or your company?

Fair enough re Rangi Chase, but Langlands is always going to be reported as an ex St George superstar. Irrespective of what he has personally done, that is how the vast majority of Australians remember him.

grouch

First Grade
The only reason Langlands is a known person is because he played rugby league for St George. There is no need to "try and link the two", it's who he is! You're being extremely naive

*edit - what Johnno said

JDHD

Juniors
The only reason Langlands is a known person is because he played rugby league for St George. There is no need to "try and link the two", it's who he is! You're being extremely naive

*edit - what Johnno said

It would be like reporting on Don Bradman and ignoring his cricket career

Old Timer

Coach
Fair enough re Rangi Chase, but Langlands is always going to be reported as an ex St George superstar. Irrespective of what he has personally done, that is how the vast majority of Australians remember him.
So that being the case it is worthy of front page status with all the St George trimmings?
Sensationalism at best and many better and fairer ways it could have been reported.

*edit - what Johnno said
you initially tried to make out that we were defending the club at the expense of the claimant which was clearly incorrect. The issue needs to be reported but that must be done in a manner fair to all parties and that is clearly not the case as the paper and TV sensationalised it

Brutalitops

Juniors
Lmao if people think Dragons have any legal path to sue DT over simply links nf a Dragons immortal to.... The Dragons.

They also mentioned he played for Australia, hopefully Australia sues them too!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
So that being the case it is worthy of front page status with all the St George trimmings?
Sensationalism at best and many better and fairer ways it could have been reported.

you initially tried to make out that we were defending the club at the expense of the claimant which was clearly incorrect. The issue needs to be reported but that must be done in a manner fair to all parties and that is clearly not the case as the paper and TV sensationalised it

Really????

As soon as Langlands name was mentioned in Brisbane Magistrates Court, anyone who read that would wonder if its the same Graeme Langlands that played for St George. Fair or not, that is reality. I am not sure how the telegraph reported it, I don't read that rubbish, but I do read the NRL web-site which reported it was indeed the same Graeme Langlands that used to play for St George. As far as I can see, all that has been added is clarity as to the alleged perpetrator.

No one likes the allegations, no one likes seeing a club legend in this position, no-one likes the fact that he is said to be in no position to defend himself. But as JDHD and Grouch have noted, you cannot disassociate the man from the club.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
With such an emotional thread topic, naturally comes emotions from fans & supporters.
Thats' to be expected.
At this point of time, I can't see the sense in arguing between ourselves and what has been put forward by the courts and the media.
Time and patients is needed to assess the the main issues.
We fans in the meantime, sit by and ponder.

Drag Queen

Bench
With such an emotional thread topic, naturally comes emotions from fans & supporters.
Thats' to be expected.
At this point of time, I can't see the sense in arguing between ourselves and what has been put forward by the courts and the media.
I have a bad feeling about this. Call it intuition OKB. I believe this woman, and it'll be hard to prove his guilt unless others come forward. I do have a fond memory of Arthur Beetson though. I was at the Woollahra Hotel in my early 20's when some footy player thought he had the right to grind into my back and grab my breasts. MY BF at the time wasn't huge but Arthur Beetson grabbed this guy around the throat and told him to apologise to me. I didn't even know who he was at the time. Bloody legend. PS Friday wines :)

Drag Queen

Bench
Stop being a dick head
I don't know what rock you came out from but being famous puts you in the spotlight.

Having met the guy a few times I find it very hard to believe.

Am not saying the allegation is not true. He may well have had sex with a minor.

Merely saying it appears to me to be out of character.

At present we don't have any details of the circumstances.

The charge is that he had sex with a person under the age of 16 years.

How old is the complainant ?

Many 15 year old girls look much older.

My point is he may not have realised that the girl was under 16.

It is a defence to the charge if the accused can prove that they believed, on reasonable grounds, that the child was of or above the age of 16 years, provided that the child is actually over the age of 12 years (s 215 Criminal Code Act 1899 (Qld) (Criminal Code)).

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Thats' to be expected.

Well said. Time to watch the footy.

Old Timer

Coach
I don't know what rock you came out from but being famous puts you in the spotlight.
If he is guilty then he is just a 43 year old rock spider who was once a highly respected footballer
If the girl was 15 or less then the chances are she never heard of or seen Langlands the footballer so the enducement is not his fame it is purely a predatory action whereas if he was at the time still playing the game his notoriety or fame well could have been the initial cause for them to meet.

St Georgio

Juniors
If he is guilty then he is just a 43 year old rock spider who was once a highly respected footballer
If the girl was 15 or less then the chances are she never heard of or seen Langlands the footballer so the enducement is not his fame it is purely a predatory action whereas if he was at the time still playing the game his notoriety or fame well could have been the initial cause for them to meet.

if off legal age and of that persuasion and said yes to all then nothing to investigate.
Legal Age?
It is your job to find out!

Belta

Juniors
What a mess

What's missing are the Facts, of which we may never truly get.

Although not always the case, I do feel that where there is smoke there is fire

Don't think for a minute justice is always reached in historical sexual assault cases, many offenders are never convicted, that's just how it goes. To jump up and down on your high horse professing the innocent until proven guilty verdict and suggest the victim could be a liar is ignorant beyond comprehension