What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final starting time - back to 3:00pm when the tv rights is up again?

RL1908

Bench
It barely reaches 30 in early October... more like 25-28, which will be cooler past 3pm as 11am-3pm are the hottest parts of the day.

There have been plus 30 degrees days at that time of the year - http://www.bom.gov.au/announcements/media_releases/nsw/20051101.shtml -all I was suggesting was that support for a day-time GF will be lost if it ever coincides with a 30+ afternoon.

The fans would mostly be in their seats at 2pm an hour before a 3pm kick-off (as it is daylight saving time, fans would be in their seats at the equivalent of 1pm).

It may never happen - hopefully not, as high temps don't make for good RL, especially for a GF to decide the premiership - but if it does, then those wanting a twilight or night GF would have all the ammo they need.

bobmar28

Bench
Hi everyone. Now I know we're all just about sick to death of the tv rights deal threads, but this one is a little different.

Do you guys think that when the current 9 deal expires, the GF airing time will be on the cards again? I mean, surely with 7 and 10 to make massive plays for the hosting rights, the NRL will hold the cards. From what I know, they originally wanted to move it back to 3:00pm, but 9 didn't want this as it would have meant less viewers? So the 5:00pm 'twilight' slot was introduced.

The NRL will have the power to change it back to 3:00pm, and with 7 and 10 both experienced in hosting AFL GFs, they surely would be flexible and allow this option.

Thoughts?

What a good idea, lets go for less money. Less viewers means less money. Imo we should go back to a night GF.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Saturday 7.30pm would be the best option - Sunday twilight/night is not convenient for anyone outside NSW when there is no public holiday the following day!
So finishing at 7.30 on a Sunday night is too late for you? Stupid bloody Queensland git. Get a life and stay up til 8 on Sunday night ffs!

RufusRex

Post Whore
The NRL wont hold the cards, they will just bend over and take whatever the highest paying TV station want.

NRL = Ultimate Prostitute

chrisc101

Juniors
I can't describe how much I hate the current timeslot. It just feels like a nothing time to have the match. I'm interested to hear why people like it?

I used to love the night Grand Finals but also wouldn't mind a traditional 3pm kickoff, either way just get rid of this 5pm rubbish.

Mortar

Juniors
So finishing at 7.30 on a Sunday night is too late for you? Stupid bloody Queensland git. Get a life and stay up til 8 on Sunday night ffs!

People want to celebrate long into the night and not have to worry about going to work the next day tanked Dumbsh*t. :roll:

Paulie Jay

Juniors
For me it's got nothing to do with tradition, I just prefer day games. Even though it is the norm these days, night football feel like novelty football to me.

meltiger

First Grade
the next day is a public holiday

^ LOL ... NATIONAL Rugby League

I like the twilight GF myself, middayish kick offs for the lower grades, and a 7.30ish finish for first grade. Allows those of us travelling (From anywhere bar Perth/NZ) to do the trip in a day and not have to worry about hotels etc.

A true night GF sucks for the simple reason of QLD/Melbourne/NZ teams making it - A 9.30ish finish is terrible for families with young kids, and we simply don't have the public holiday that NSW has.

parano1a

Juniors

Actually I'm Victorian and have travelled to Sydney to watch the Storm for the last 4 Grand Finals. Having to get out of work on the Monday is difficult when it's not a public holiday. It's about time the NATIONAL Rugby League should start focusing NATIONALly rather than just focusing on NSW.

Scarves

Juniors
Massive fan of the twilight GF. Initially I had doubts but I reckon now it's a massive goer. The conditions are still good at that time of the afternoon, by half time you are well and truly into prime time viewing. IT finishes in the darkness and at a time that isn't too late. Keep it.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I really wish the game would go back to 3pm. It has over 90 years of history and it will encourage the typical sunday bbq followed by the game. Watching a game go from day to night (5:30) is not as good as you need to contend with the shadow moving across the ground and this affects the video cameras.

hellteam

First Grade
Keep it as it is. I can travel down to Sydney in the morning, get there 20 min into the NSW Cup, watch all three games and be back in Brisbane in bed by 11pm.

Perfect

Keep it as it is. I can travel down to Sydney in the morning, get there 20 min into the NSW Cup, watch all three games and be back in Brisbane in bed by 11pm.

Perfect

Sounds like a well thought out plan.:clap: I don't mind the time... 3 or 5 in the afternoon doesn't really phase me. As long as it is a spetacular and not a Grand Final with a blown-out lop-sided contest. Now that sucks.

Loudstrat

Coach
People want to celebrate long into the night and not have to worry about going to work the next day tanked Dumbsh*t. :roll:

Actually I'm Victorian and have travelled to Sydney to watch the Storm for the last 4 Grand Finals. Having to get out of work on the Monday is difficult when it's not a public holiday. It's about time the NATIONAL Rugby League should start focusing NATIONALly rather than just focusing on NSW.

For the hard drinker and the travellers, I agree. But to suggest that - as you did - that the time is no good for ANYONE not in NSW is rubbish.

Hellteam found a way out.

And if you want the GF moved to make it easier for you to get pissed you are a lunatic.