What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand finalists in the NRL vs AFL for the last 21 Years....

King hit

Coach
He’s still the best nine in the game lol. I’m hoping they might spell him a bit this year and give Brandon more time at the nine. I’m concerned he B Smith) is going to burn himself out playing like a prop for another year!
Next minute IBM becomes the Greg Alexander of 2020 and proves you wrong

THE CHAMP

First Grade
He’s still the best nine in the game lol. I’m hoping they might spell him a bit this year and give Brandon more time at the nine. I’m concerned he B Smith) is going to burn himself out playing like a prop for another year!

Don’t worry the merkins will find another pretty quick going on their track record. Brandon Smith is an absolute gun though.

TDD91

Juniors
Could be worse, of the 19 Clubs who've played in Super League since the Grand Final started in 1998, only 8 have made it to the final, with 3 of those making it once each.

Only 4 teams have ever won the Grand Final. On the plus side, it does make Warrington the only team to have multiple appearances and still not win it.

NRL Premiers
2018 Sydney Roosters
2017 Melbourne Storm
2016 Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
2015 North Queensland Cowboys
2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs
2013 Sydney Roosters
2012 Melbourne Storm
2011 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2010 St. George Illawarra Dragons
2009 Melbourne Storm (stripped)
2008 Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
2007 Melbourne Storm (stripped)
2006 Brisbane Broncos
2005 Wests Tigers
2004 Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
2003 Penrith Panthers
2002 Sydney Roosters
2001 Newcastle Knights
2000 Brisbane Broncos
1999 Melbourne Storm

Melbourne - 5 (2 stripped)
Roosters - 3
Manly - 2
Brisbane - 2
Cronulla - 1
Cowboys - 1
Souths - 1
Dragons - 1
Tigers - 1
Bulldogs - 1
Penrith - 1
Knights - 1

11 different Premiers in this period

AFL Premiers
2018 West Coast
2017 Richmond
2016 Western Bulldogs
2015 Hawthorn
2014 Hawthorn
2013 Hawthorn
2012 Sydney Swans
2011 Geelong
2010 Collingwood
2009 Geelong
2008 Hawthorn
2007 Geelong
2006 West Coast
2005 Sydney Swans
2004 Port Adelaide
2003 Brisbane Lions
2002 Brisbane Lions
2001 Brisbane Lions
2000 Essendon
1999 North Melbourne

Hawthorn - 4
Geelong - 3
Brisbane - 3
Sydney - 2
West Coast - 2
Richmond - 1 (+2019)
Bulldogs - 1
Collingwood - 1
Port - 1
Essendon - 1
North - 1

10 different premiers in this period

Just goes to show you can angle any argument in you favour if you use the correct numbers, both competitions are good and a lot better than things like EPL where the top few clubs win everything.
One little thing that gets missed regarding the competition models though, Swans and Brisbane (Also now Suns and GWS) received more money on the salary cap from the AFL (Living away allowance) than what the Storm were over that cost them 2 premierships, so I know which competition has more integrity.
Storm had over $100M funnelled into them by News Ltd and ARLC between 98-18.

I've never seen a team receive as many favourable calls, especially when they need them most, like Melbourne.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Actually, in most years, NRL is much more even than the AFL. Look at the end of year ladders, not just who makes the GF.

They really are, this is when kids are turned into professional athletes.
Below this age it is the job of the State body, NRL and pokie clubs when available to be getting kids to play the game. At 16-17 it is the job of the NRl clubs to pluck out the best of those kids and turn them into 1st grade players. In that regard Storm have no peers in the last 15 years. Who cares where they were born?
Hold on, aren't you and your pro-expansion buddies always arguing we need teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth to get more people playing the game?

Now you're saying it doesn't matter if they produce any players, FFS!

If it's all down to the state body to develop players then stop pretending an NRL team in these regions is needed. VRL are obviously shit at their job. Before you go on to say it's because they're not given enough funding from "above", I will counter it by pointing out the QRL didn't have a sugar daddy fund them from 1909-1987, yet they produced the second largest RL nursery in the world.

If VRL cannot run a chook raffle then maybe Melbourne shouldn't have a team in the NRL. I have no doubt the ARLC would look at the Storm's inability to make serious inroads in Melbourne as a sign that Adelaide and Perth are best left alone. Over $100M in extra funds from News Ltd and ARLC between 98-18 and a golden run like no other club in Australian sport, yet they're well behind the Brisbane Lions, who spent the bulk of the last 15 years at the bottom. I do find it ironic that you support the team that has probably done more to set back expansion in Perth than anyone else.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes roosters and Storm have dominated last few years but over the last decade or so there has been a healthy mix of clubs getting to the GF and winning it. Plenty of clubs have as much, or more money, than the Storm and roosters so it isn't just a question of $'s. There is no evidence the Storm have received $77million from news ltd in a 15 year period.
However It isn't unusual for a clubs owner to pump money into a club. Parramatta Eels has received over $30mill in 4 years from its LC as an example.
Broncos have an expenditure close to double any club every year yet aren't dominant, another example that $ isnt everything!

As for Jnrs, wrong thread, again!

Canard

Immortal
Hold on, aren't you and your pro-expansion buddies always arguing we need teams in Adelaide, Melbourne and Perth to get more people playing the game?

Now you're saying it doesn't matter if they produce any players, FFS!

If it's all down to the state body to develop players then stop pretending an NRL team in these regions is needed. VRL are obviously shit at their job. Before you go on to say it's because they're not given enough funding from "above", I will counter it by pointing out the QRL didn't have a sugar daddy fund them from 1909-1987, yet they produced the second largest RL nursery in the world.

If VRL cannot run a chook raffle then maybe Melbourne shouldn't have a team in the NRL. I have no doubt the ARLC would look at the Storm's inability to make serious inroads in Melbourne as a sign that Adelaide and Perth are best left alone. Over $100M in extra funds from News Ltd and ARLC between 98-18 and a golden run like no other club in Australian sport, yet they're well behind the Brisbane Lions, who spent the bulk of the last 15 years at the bottom. I do find it ironic that you support the team that has probably done more to set back expansion in Perth than anyone else.

Well behind the Brisbane Bears in what exactly?

magpie_man

Juniors
I think that the AFL's player draft is a significant equaliser for their competition and warrants serious consideration from the NRL.
Also worth consideration is that the previous decade contained a notable anomaly in the standard AFL Premiership cycle with the introduction of the Suns and Giants. The nascent clubs sucked the majority of priority draft picks for a number of years which allowed Hawthorn, Geelong and the Swans to sit at the top for longer as the rest of the pack weren't getting the draft picks to close the gap.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everything iun-validated and unproven to you..

No the part about NRL supporting their expansion club with a $4.6mill a year grant for 5 years to get News Ltd conflict of ownership out the way is validated by the NRL. The News Ltd putting in $77million over the other 15 years is not that I am aware of. I have asked him numerous times for a source for this claim which he continually ignores.

The second part is very clearly a perception he has and cant back up with any evidence, because its a perception lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
That's a quality sook.

What's unfair about the comp?

That sht run clubs cant win it very often. You see in some minds doesn't matter how good you are at your business, it should be some utopia where by every clubs wins it on a rotational basis there by giving their clubs fans some glory once every 15 years :)

Latest posts