What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grandparent rule in rugby

carlnz

Bench

russia045.jpg
RUSSIA EXPELLED FROM WORLD CUP
9.00am, Thursday 23 January 2003
An astonishing controversy in the world of rugby with Russia expelled from the Rugby World Cup 2003 qualifying stages following an investigation by the International Rugby Board.

The Spanish Rugby Union requested an investigation into the eligibility of three South African born players who had been representing Russia through the qualification process. The Rugby Union of Russia (RUR) was then asked by the independent Judicial Officer, Tim Gresson of New Zealand, to "provide indisputable evidence to support its claim that, in the case of all three players - Johan Hendricks, Reiner Volschenk and Werner Pieterse - a grandparent had been of Russian nationality".

While copies of documents the RUR had used to deem the players eligible were supplied, Mr Gresson was not satisfied the information could be relied on. In turn he granted the RUR and the three players in question more time to produce satisfactory documentation which they were unable to do. With no further explanation forthcoming from the RUR, Mr Gresson reported to the IRB that the players in question were ineligible to play for Russia.

Mr Gresson ordered Russia be expelled from the qualifying stage of the tournament and that the mandatory fine of £25,000 per player be imposed on Russia.

"This is a serious and saddening development, especially in the run-up to Rugby World Cup 2003," said Dr Syd Millar, acting chairman of the IRB and chairman of Rugby World Cup. "Unions have to go that extra mile to satisfy themselves beyond any doubt whatsoever that players are indeed eligible to play under the national flag.

"It is a matter of the greatest regret that Russia, a fine Union with great promise, should lose the chance of qualifying for the Finals in this way. This should be a lesson for others."

As a result, Spain has been allowed to take Russia's place in the tournament after previously losing their repechage qualifying series in October-November 2002. Russia was due to play Tunisia this weekend (25 January 2003) in the repechage stage of qualifying, a match which has duely been cancelled.

The RUR has two weeks to appeal the decision.

Seams Rugby has the Grand parent rule to??

elBandido

Juniors
Carl just because another sport is doing something badly doesn't mean we have to.Two wrongs don't make a right

bender

Juniors
elBandido said:
Carl just because another sport is doing something badly doesn't mean we have to.Two wrongs don't make a right

That is the spirit El bandido. The other 100 sports in the world are wrong and rugby union are right when they criticise it. Oh hang on, Rugby union still have the GP rule like everyone else. Yeah the Gp rule is a good one, for every sport except rugby league, because it takes away the RL credibility. RL needs exactly the same rules as FIFA, which is the ultimate goal for an international sport. Any qualification rules which are stronger or weaker lack credibility, IMO.

I tryed to point out that Rugby League should set its own standards and not rely on terrible eligibility rules such as other sports.....but my posts (Along with other posts) were deleted for some unknown reason.

elBandido

Juniors
bender said:
RL needs exactly the same rules as FIFA, which is the ultimate goal for an international sport. Any qualification rules which are stronger or weaker lack credibility, IMO.

1. Any player who is a naturalized citizen of a country in virtue of that country’s laws shall be eligible to play for a national or representative team of that country.

2. If a player has been included in a national or representative team of a country for which he is eligible to play pursuant to paragraph 1, he shall not be permitted to take part in an international match for another country. Accordingly, any player who is qualified to play for more than one national association (i.e. who has dual nationality) will be deemed to have committed himself to one association only when he plays his first international match in an official competition (at any level) for that association.

3. The only players exempt from this provision are those whose nationality has been changed not voluntarily but as the result of an international decree either granting independence to a region or ceding part of one country to another.

I want international rugby league to thrive, but I would prefer it took longer and that the development was through domestic competitions rather then any artificial 'national' teams

Copa

Bench
I just think it is crazy to ever get into the situation where one has to ask.."well shouldn't there be atleast person from country X in the team?"

carlnz

Bench
elBandido said:

Mate where did i say that? I just pointed out that not only Rugby League use the Grand Parent rule...people go on about in here that its the end of the world when most sports in the world have this rule. Yes Rugby League did go over board in the Last World Cup, but since then those teams domestic compeitions have grown in most cases..

I have no problems with this rule, but for say Lebanon in the 2008 World Cup or USA if they make it, they should have at least 4 players in the starting 17 that have been born and raised and played in their Countires domestic Competition.

Then the following World Cup double it to 8 players.

screeny

Bench
Don't the IOC and FIFA use the GP rule, too? Apologise for slovenly research (none, actually) but I'm convinced they do. Both those bodies' eligibility criteria is hardly something to be proud of. Look at the Olympics there're always a heap of athletes who have been naturalised, usually East Europeans or East African runners....and in the African Cup of Nations last year the best player was a Tunisian who in fact was a Brazilian who the Tunis govt naturalised so he could play.

RL's problem is we don't seem willing or able to police anything. Look at the controversy surrounding Holland v Serbia. There should be no controversy whatsoever, and in this case the Serbs were clearly unhappy with the way the RLEF 'handled' it.

Woods99

Juniors
Whatever the rights or wrongs of rugby union's grandparent rule, at least the IRB had the balls to drop Russia from the last world cup because they transgressed the rule. Russia would have been here instead of Georgia, which would have given rugby union a huge boost in Russia.

elBandido

Juniors
carlnz said:
Mate where did i say that?

You said it in one of the now deleted posts,it was something along the lines of

Rugby Union has a much higher international profile and it is good enough for them

jvujosevic

Juniors
carlnz said:

russia045.jpg
RUSSIA EXPELLED FROM WORLD CUP
9.00am, Thursday 23 January 2003

An astonishing controversy in the world of rugby with Russia expelled from the Rugby World Cup 2003 qualifying stages following an investigation by the International Rugby Board.

The Spanish Rugby Union requested an investigation into the eligibility of three South African born players who had been representing Russia through the qualification process. The Rugby Union of Russia (RUR) was then asked by the independent Judicial Officer, Tim Gresson of New Zealand, to "provide indisputable evidence to support its claim that, in the case of all three players - Johan Hendricks, Reiner Volschenk and Werner Pieterse - a grandparent had been of Russian nationality".

While copies of documents the RUR had used to deem the players eligible were supplied, Mr Gresson was not satisfied the information could be relied on. In turn he granted the RUR and the three players in question more time to produce satisfactory documentation which they were unable to do. With no further explanation forthcoming from the RUR, Mr Gresson reported to the IRB that the players in question were ineligible to play for Russia.

Mr Gresson ordered Russia be expelled from the qualifying stage of the tournament and that the mandatory fine of £25,000 per player be imposed on Russia.

"This is a serious and saddening development, especially in the run-up to Rugby World Cup 2003," said Dr Syd Millar, acting chairman of the IRB and chairman of Rugby World Cup. "Unions have to go that extra mile to satisfy themselves beyond any doubt whatsoever that players are indeed eligible to play under the national flag.

"It is a matter of the greatest regret that Russia, a fine Union with great promise, should lose the chance of qualifying for the Finals in this way. This should be a lesson for others."

As a result, Spain has been allowed to take Russia's place in the tournament after previously losing their repechage qualifying series in October-November 2002. Russia was due to play Tunisia this weekend (25 January 2003) in the repechage stage of qualifying, a match which has duely been cancelled.

The RUR has two weeks to appeal the decision.

Seams Rugby has the Grand parent rule to??

That is story that I mention when I have discussion with YANTO about grand parents rule.

YANTO

Juniors
jvujosevic said:
That is story that I mention when I have discussion with YANTO about grand parents rule.

FFS GRANDPARENT RULE Jovan.?????
Alex Smits mother and father were BOTH born in Holland and Alex has a Dutch passport.BEST PLAYER ON THE DAY

As I have stated on a previous thread ALL our players were cleared by the RLEF as eligable for the games.

Jorik Moree plays in England and is no different than Soni and Zoran playing at the Skolars.
Nathan Gee was the ONLY Grand parent rule .

Get over it mate as we have beaten you twice (home and away)and once with a lot of top players missing.
We arrived in Belgrade with a weaker team that lost at home to Georgia and still played well enough to win.

Instead of dragging up the past look forward to improving your game.

This continuous pulling down of a progressing Netherlands side is not good for the future of developing nations.

Rules are rules and we broke NONE.

Any way congrats on the result in Tbilisi.
it looks like you were very competative.

carlnz

Bench
Mate i said that International Rugby is light years ahead of league and they use it so does Cricket, B Ball, Soccer and every other sports so why does League Fans have a problem with this rule? Is it because they over kill it?

Latest posts