What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant, McKendry more fictions of previous administration

Randy81

Juniors
Yet Souths paid that for Grant.... Also had an offer from Sharks of the same. So it's all relative

My issue is lack of props we have rather then him going. Nathan Smith started at prop last week for NSW Cup :lol:

And if he doesn't play to the level they expect then he will be pushed out of there too.

roofromoz

First Grade
The management is trying to change the attitude and philosophy of the squad. Some players aren't going to like the change, some players are getting paid way too much. We were always going to lose some. This will pay off in the end. Remember this isn't the year we were aiming to really succeed, but we get only a sniff and all of a sudden our expectations go into the stratosphere. If we're honest, we are now a mid, maybe upper-mid, level club. This is an improvement, and we are still in the process of long term improvement.

+1. Removing the deadwood has included changing the culture, and it appears that some of the collateral damage has been the departures of some high profile players. If it means a sustained period of success, a-la Manly over the past decade, then I'm all for it.

Randy81

Juniors
No wonder the club jis so happy to get rid of local juniors. The second they do the fans turn on them and act as though our alternatives were/are better

Opinion remains the same as it has for the last 12-18months actually.

In my books, just because your a local junior doesn't give an exemption to playing poorly.

No doubt, at his best he is great......but honestly when was the last time you saw him dominate a game?

meek

Juniors
Geez you guys are getting a bit carried away. He is a front rower! Not the most important position on the field. Check the front row rotations in the Manly and Storm Premiership winning teams in 2011 and 2012.

Grant can't offload or break a tackle. He gets held up by two defenders and never gets to ground for a quick play the ball. Good solid prop but no star.

agree not sure abt solid tho
but the grant fans would have us believe hes the next sam burgess :lol:
btw hope he proves me wrong and sets the world on fire at sths
just dont think hes the star most on here do and imo wont be a loss to us at all

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
agree not sure abt solid tho
but the grant fans would have us believe hes the next sam burgess :lol:
btw hope he proves me wrong and sets the world on fire at sths
just dont think hes the star most on here do and imo wont be a loss to us at all
I agree he is average and it gets worse if you consider how much he has been paid.

In the end, it is his fault he is leaving because he is only interested in money. He was very lucky to get a massive deal off the club because of mistakes made by previous management. He has decided he would rather leave than take a pay cut and fair enough, he is looking after himself. But please, lets not talk about him being badly treated. He has done well out of the club and when it came down to it, is more interested in the money than achieving anything with his junior club. He hasn't been worth the money and has ended up being disruptive to the team.

Pomoz

Bench
No wonder the club jis so happy to get rid of local juniors. The second they do the fans turn on them and act as though our alternatives were/are better.
I think you will find the reason people are not bothered about Tim is because he is on massive dollars and when it came down to it he would rather leave so he can continue to get the big dollars. There has not been any period at Penrith, including when he got picked for NSW, that justifies what he was paid. Now, it is not his fault we stupidly offered him massive dollars, when based on results so far he is a slightly above average prop. He is paid as a superstar, but performs like a support act. But he could have agreed to a deal which would have allowed him to stay and give the club a better salary cap result. He didn't, so its time to move on.

It is sad that a whole crop of juniors have been destroyed by terrible commercial management. Who would have thought that accountants would cause so much havoc? I know ME's coaching and the culture he created hasn't helped either, but I think the players could have been turned around.

It just goes to show that getting the back office right is just as important as getting the front office right if you want to be successful over a long period.

betcats

Referee
No wonder the club jis so happy to get rid of local juniors. The second they do the fans turn on them and act as though our alternatives were/are better.

These guys might not be at peak form, but neither is anyone else. These guys are also part of a team where it's no secret they aren't wanted. As if we can expect to see them play to their potential when they're being treated like this.

8. Kite (another year older and past his peak.
10. Plum (another year older also... Still a gun defender but non existent in metre eating)
14. McKendry (hasnt been the same since his broken neck)
15. Latimore (playing solid footy but not a genuine threat to attract attention)

Grant is by far the best of the group. His form at the moment isnt the best, but he is still our best front rower. Thurston has been well below many halves this year in performance, but you still know he is the best by a long way. Current form isn't representative of a player entirely. Peak form mixed with current form is a better representation. You can't ignore a players best form and say he's the equivalent of a journerman based on 3 games. That's just shit. Or else Soward is better then Carney and Thurston.

You are being ridiculous imo, when is the last time grant played at peak form? 2012? But we should keep him around on 500k+ because he is a local? f**k that im sick to death of watching overpaid guys not perform, it happened for years with elliott and im glad we are forcing guys like jennings and grant out, honestly if mckendry doesnt start performing id be happy for him to go too, pay someone half as much to do his job.

mxlegend99

Referee
You didn't just compare Grant to Thurston right?

At best Grant has had a nice 6-10 game run
No . I compared his situation to Thurston. Being down on form but knowing his peak form is so much ahead of where he is at the moment, that you don't rate him exclusively on current form.

Although comparing him to Thurston is no worse then people claiming Latimore is better.

Opinion remains the same as it has for the last 12-18months actually.

In my books, just because your a local junior doesn't give an exemption to playing poorly.

No doubt, at his best he is great......but honestly when was the last time you saw him dominate a game?
Probably the last time he was wanted at the club. The guy has put in extra for our club for a long time before our current management came in. I don't know what has gone on behind the scenes, but this guy was a local junior who played Origin and was better in his time there then any of our front rowers has ever been in rep footy. Kite was an epic fail in rep footy. But his form has gone down as the current management have come in and he has been moved to the bench, dropped and been shopped around because he was perceived to be earning too much.

He was delivering for us until the day all our overpaid guys were told to take pay cuts or look elsewhere. One by one these guys have been gotten rid of, and in the case of Grant we're losing him the year he is eligible for a cap discount and could be brought back to his true cap value. I blame our current management and the way he has been treated for his form. I guarantee he will be back to his best for the Souths.

darkbloom

Juniors
The club will move on without him, just like after Lewis, just like after Jennings.

The club moves on without <insert any name you like>, it is a simple fact of life.

The important thing is how they get to move on - it is that that shapes the future of what is left behind.

meek

Juniors
No . I compared his situation to Thurston. Being down on form but knowing his peak form is so much ahead of where he is at the moment, that you don't rate him exclusively on current form.

Although comparing him to Thurston is no worse then people claiming Latimore is better.

Probably the last time he was wanted at the club. The guy has put in extra for our club for a long time before our current management came in. I don't know what has gone on behind the scenes, but this guy was a local junior who played Origin and was better in his time there then any of our front rowers has ever been in rep footy. Kite was an epic fail in rep footy. But his form has gone down as the current management have come in and he has been moved to the bench, dropped and been shopped around because he was perceived to be earning too much.

He was delivering for us until the day all our overpaid guys were told to take pay cuts or look elsewhere. One by one these guys have been gotten rid of, and in the case of Grant we're losing him the year he isp6 eligible for a cap discount and could be brought back to his true cap value. I blame our current management and the way he has been treated for his form. I guarantee he will be back to his best for the Souths.

what was he doing at his best
breaking tackles ? Offloading .?
major metre gainer , maybe on rare occasions
please dont paint hin to be what he is not imo
showed a lot of early promise yes , but since then has not shown much imo

lucky we are not the side losing burgess, you lot would bd all jumping of the bridge
hes not that good !,,,,,,,,,,,!

Last edited:

meek

Juniors
Oh god if we end up losing a REAL talent like DWZ
Nepean better set up a ward for all the hysterical fans LOL

Randy81

Juniors

He was delivering for us until the day all our overpaid guys were told to take pay cuts or look elsewhere. One by one these guys have been gotten rid of, and in the case of Grant we're losing him the year he is eligible for a cap discount and could be brought back to his true cap value. I blame our current management and the way he has been treated for his form. I guarantee he will be back to his best for the Souths.

Whilst I haven't read every post I don't think anyone thinks latimore is better. Simply that he provides the same output - so why pay the big $ if someone on a far lower wage currently is providing more worth.

So your point is that his poor form is everyone else's fault not his. Got it.

roofromoz

First Grade
That it does as another junior bites the dust.
One day I might see a player break it and go one to 250 or even 300 but I doubt it.

If Lewis stayed (and based on the number of matches he has played at the Sharks and factoring in his current injury layoff), he would have been a chance maybe towards the end of this season of breaking Scarter's record.

Jennings may have been an outside chance if he stayed, as he had chalked up 122 matches.

If Grant plays every match, he will have 131 clocked up by the end of Round 26. I honestly thought he was the most likely to do it.

McKendry is 9 matches from 100 appearances, but given the cloudiness of his future, don't bank on it.

Simmons (67) and Plum (60) are next in the current ranks, but that ain't gonna happen.

There are a cluster of players around the 30 match mark, such as Mansour, Docker, Wallace, Whare and Segeyaro. And the rest, such as the 2014 recruits aren't worth mentioning.

So in conclusion - it is unlikely before 2025 in all possibly. By then, we could all be toasting Bryce Cartwright or someone else from the 2013 Holden Cup premiers.

Big Mick

Referee
I heard somewhere that rcg is cousins with the Sims. Does anyone know if that's true?

When I was doing the Sonny Fai charity and I was selling the wristbands at Penrith Park Sims mother bought one and she was living in the area at the time.

So maybe true.