What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grapple penalties 'stop the flow'

Hellsy

Immortal
Grapple penalties 'stop the flow'
By Dean Ritchie
February 13, 2006

RUGBY league will become like stop-start rugby union if the grapple-tackle crackdown is not eased in the NRL's early rounds, Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy said yesterday.

More than 10 grapple-tackle penalties were issued during Melbourne's 38-18 trial match win over Parramatta in Ballina on Saturday.

Referee Steve Clark caned both sides in the opening quarter, awarding seven penalties for grapple tackles.

Although Melbourne is not condoning the grapple, Bellamy said: "I don't know what the exact penalty count was, but there was plenty and it made for a really stop-start sort of game. "I think if we see that in the opening few rounds it is going to make for some ugly games.

"We all agree that it is something we don't want to see in our game, but it is an area that is very hard to police consistently and the referees have a lot on their plate already.

"The real attractive thing about rugby league is its free-flowing nature. If we start having so many stoppages then it will become like rugby union."

Storm skipper Matt Geyer approached interchange referee Gavin Badger for clarification of the rule at one point.

NRL coaches demanded the NRL ban the contentious grapple tackle at a coaches conference last month in Sydney.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald however said the clampdown was necessary.

"The players must adjust and keep away from the head or neck and I agree with that policy," Fitzgerald said last night.

"Anything near the head was penalised but it was the first trial under the new policy so it was to be expected.

"Melbourne just take longer to adjust because they're not in mainstream rugby league."

One NRL coach said: "It does seem strange Melbourne are upset given they introduced the grapple tackle to the game."

NRL chief executive David Gallop was in Ballina for the match.

"Obviously there were a number of penalties for it, and I spoke to both coaches afterwards because I was keen to get their feedback," Gallop said.

"Clearly consistency is going to be the mission for the refs but there is no disagreement that we need to get defenders away from the head and neck.

"It is going to take some time for everyone to adapt, but I'm sure they will.

"I don't see it as a problem. The referees and co-ordinator Robert Finch are aware of the need to allow games to flow as much as possible and I'm sure that will happen."

About 25 penalties were awarded throughout the Eels-Storm match. There was no grapple-tackle drama during the trial match between Brisbane and North Queensland in Rockhampton in which the Broncos prevailed 36-4.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18124019%255E23214,00.html
There certainly were some penalties given out!

Hellsy

Immortal
Random shot of Delaney trying to tackle Crocker:

0,5001,5108302,00.jpg

strider

Post Whore
I love how Bellamy is worried that penalties will slow down the free flowing game, but he never had a problem when he introduced the grapple tackle forcing the play the ball to be alot slower :lol: :roll:

Them's the new rules Craig - live with it like every other NRL team.

BTW - did we get done for alot of grapple tackles on Saturday? and even split or mainly melb?

MONY

Juniors
even split i believe, a lot of teams do it, its just that the focus is on melbourne cause they apparently introduced it to the nrl.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
what a stupid comment from Bellamy

teach your players to play within the rules, simple

Eelementary

Post Whore
What's considered a 'grapple tackle'? Was that tackle by Delaney penalised? Because that tackle is fine.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
grapple is basically a head high tackle that is normally done by the second tackler, quite often players have been choked in grapples so they submit to enable themselves to breathe again

alot get away with it becuase they are the second tackler, its still a head hi tho

one day some one will get paralised and then they will do something about it

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
grapple is basically a head high tackle that is normally done by the second tackler, quite often players have been choked in grapples so they submit to enable themselves to breathe again

alot get away with it becuase they are the second tackler, its still a head hi tho

one day some one will get paralised and then they will do something about it

I think it has alot to do with the second movement after the tackle, you can hold the person in choking type tackle it becomes a "grapple" if you twist it.

I don't know I'm a little confused by it all..

Hellsy

Immortal
Eelementary said:
What's considered a 'grapple tackle'? Was that tackle by Delaney penalised? Because that tackle is fine.

No. It was just a photo I found on the website

Eelementary

Post Whore
Ah Ok cool lol.

It's just that, under the heading of "Grapple penalties 'stop the flow' ", I thought Brett may have been penalised in that tackle for one!

I think we may have an issue with the grapple tackle...Morrison tends to tackle around chest-high and sometimes extends the completed tackle into the plater's face...

PB

Bench
Why are we even playing Melbourne in not one but TWO trials??? I thought Denis was completely opposed to the team from south of the Murray...

Stagger eel

Staff member
PB said:
Why are we even playing Melbourne in not one but TWO trials??? I thought Denis was completely opposed to the team from south of the Murray...

don't think it had anything to do with Dennis as to who and where play, I'm pretty sure Greg Mitchel and Tony Zappia would of organised all that with Melbourne.

He doesn't seem to be opposed of going into their corporate boxes sipping their chardonay when we play them down there. ;-) ..take what he says with a grain of salt.

Hellsy

Immortal
eelavation said:
were there any other photos of the game?

Nope. Thats why I just randomly posted it!

I took some great shots but just not on my camera :D
I need to get them off Nikki, and Tyler has some good ones as well

Hurriflatch

Referee
There is a photo in the Telegraph of a tackle by Garrett Crossman on Jarryd Hayne that is a grapple tackle and was penalised as such, maybe someone can scan it and post it on the forums.

As for what is a grapple it's as said the 2nd movement if your arm ends up around the players neck but you don't move it thats fine

if you try and work the neck/head in the tackle thats a grapple.

Hellsy

Immortal
PB said:

Because Melbourne is cool :sto: :LOL: :LOL:

No doubt there was money in there somewhere.

John Morris

Juniors
I have to correct Bellamy on one point. The attractive thing about rugby league is not its free flowing nature, but my face. I'm completely in support of the crackdown on grapple tackles.

Latest posts