What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grass roots

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Morrinsville never had a team, so closest I have is Kurri Kurri Bulldog!
Side note without hijacking post would things like Magic round, or say 25% of Warriors away games being playing around NZ in 2023-24 (so Aussie team has to take 1 home game to NZ in the next 2 years v Warriors) help with some grass roots?
NRL surely do not want the NZ talent pool to dry up to much.

it still grates me that in Christchurch in the last 20 years I have seen ‘home’ games from Sharks, Tigers, Panthers and Manly and the Warriors have stuff all presence at all other than sending a couple of wider squad members down for a junior morning every couple of years

the last game Manly played here in 2019, Manly arrived on the Tuesday and spent the week doing school visits etc. The Warriors arrived on Thursday afternoon for their Saturday game

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Have been a regular at Tat Roosters games the last 3-4 years. Team looking very strong this season and easily beat Otahuhu yesterday. I do worry for the state of club footy generally but the Roosters club is strong and has a good culture.

Have been a regular at Tat Roosters games the last 3-4 years. Team looking very strong this season and easily beat Otahuhu yesterday. I do worry for the state of club footy generally but the Roosters club is strong and has a good culture.
I read the results from yesterday. Some team lost 120-0
Whats the go there

Diesel

Referee
No there are firmly setup with the new facilities now, not sure what the plan is in regards to the Showgrounds but the way our useless council operates that’s probably 15 years away !!

Lancaster Park has just about returned to sporting fields with the Lancaster Park Woolston Cricket Club due to open their season their season there in October as the new tenants, not sure if winter sport will be played there but I imagine it will
I’d guarantee if it was the CRU, the council would have it sorted within two years

Diesel

Referee
Morrinsville never had a team, so closest I have is Kurri Kurri Bulldog!
Side note without hijacking post would things like Magic round, or say 25% of Warriors away games being playing around NZ in 2023-24 (so Aussie team has to take 1 home game to NZ in the next 2 years v Warriors) help with some grass roots?
NRL surely do not want the NZ talent pool to dry up to much.
Most of us got into league when it was visible and on TV2 in the 90’s, the Warriors obviously helped but haven’t been as successful. Surely more games in NZ will get more new fans and rekindle a fewer of the older fans lost. No doubt a Canterbury-based NRL team would help push the Warriors too

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Time for the 2 year bump, anyone been getting out and watching local footy ?

Canterbury comp was reduced from 8 teams to 6 last season, and that has certainly helped the strength and quality of the competition. This season we lost Kaiapoi but gained the Greymouth Greyhounds who entered into an agreement with the Papanui Tigers

15 game regular season concluded last week, with 5 teams in the hunt for finals. Eastern needed to win their final 4 games to make it and knocked the first 3 off, went down 18-4 fairly early on, then found a way back into the lead at 20-18 with 4 mins to go, then had their hearts broken by a 60m try in the final minute to end their season

Finals footy starts tomorrow

Linwood (1) v Hornby (2) to make the GF, Linwood looking for their 10th straight

Halswell (3) v Riccarton (4) in the elimination final

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Te Atatu Roosters

I’ve been to most games this year. Roosters are strong this year, a bit unlucky that they’ll probably only qualify 3rd for the finals.

They played the Sky TV game on Wednesday night and unfortunately despite winning it was probably their worst game of the season (albeit resting a number of players).

Fine Vakautakakala is the best club player in Auckland.

Latest posts