What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Britain and England squads named

Sun_Down

Juniors
Great Britain have included five uncapped players in their 24-strong squad named for the Gillette Tri-Nations Series.

The new faces are Leeds scrum-half Rob Burrow, St Helens prop Nick Fozzard, Hull duo Gareth Raynor and Jamie Thackray and St Helens back-row forward Jon Wilkie.

The squad also includes Bradford scrum-half Paul Deacon, who was not included in the original 40-man squad.

Great Britain squad for the 2005 Gillette Tri-Nations:

1. Rob Burrow (Leeds Rhinos)
2. Paul Deacon (Bradford Bulls)
3. Brian Carney (Wigan Warriors, vice-captain)
4. Keiron Cunningham (St Helens)
5. Nick Fozzard (St Helens)
6. Gareth Ellis (Leeds Rhinos)
7. Stuart Fielden (Bradford Bulls)
8. Lee Gilmour (St Helens)
9. Martin Gleeson (Warrington Wolves)
10. Iestyn Harris (Bradford Bulls)
11. Richard Horne (Hull FC)
12. Mickey Higham (St Helens)
13. Paul Johnson (Bradford Bulls)
14. Jamie Thackray (Hull FC)
15. Adrian Morley (Sydney Roosters/ Bradford Bulls)
16. Jamie Peacock (Bradford Bulls, captain)
17. Leon Pryce (Bradford Bulls)
18. Gareth Raynor (Hull FC)
19. Keith Senior (Leeds Rhinos)
20. Kevin Sinfield (Leeds Rhinos)
21. Chev Walker (Leeds Rhinos)
22. Paul Wellens (St Helens)
23. Stephen Wild (Wigan Warriors)
24. Jon Wilkin (St Helens)

England Head Coach Karl Harrison has named a 21-man squad to prepare for the two international matches against France (October 23 at Headingley, Leeds) and New Zealand (November 6 at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington).

The squad is as follows:

1. Malcolm Alker (Salford City Reds)
2. Ryan Bailey (Leeds Rhinos)
3. Mike Bennett (St Helens)
4. Jamie Jones Buchanan (Leeds Rhinos)
5. Mark Calderwood (Leeds Rhinos)
6. Chris Charles (Salford City Reds)
7. Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield Giants)
8. Ade Gardner (St Helens)
9. Mark Gleeson (Warrington Wolves)
10. Darrell Griffin (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats)
11. David Hodgson (Salford City Reds)
12. Andy Lynch (Bradford Bulls)
13. Richard Mathers (Leeds Rhinos)
14. Lee Radford (Bradford Bulls, vice-captain)
15. Stuart Reardon (Bradford Bulls)
16. Luke Robinson (Salford City Reds)
17. Paul Sykes (London Broncos)
18. Chris Thorman (Huddersfield Giants, captain)
19. Danny Ward (Leeds Rhinos)
20. Ben Westwood (Warrington Wolves)
21. Paul Wood (Warrington Wolves)

The following players have also been placed on stand-by:

Richie Barnett (Hull FC)
Wayne Godwin (Wigan Warriors)
Nick Scruton (Leeds Rhinos)

-superleague.co.uk

ozboy

Juniors
If ever I've seen a larger pile of rubbish ....

That GB squad is the weakest I have ever seen, worse than the teams of the late 90's.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Interesting. I'd have thoughts Calders'd make it. My squad:

1: Paul Wellens
2: Leon Pryce
3: Martin Gleeson
4: Keith Senior
5: Brian Carney
6: Iestyn Harris
7: Paul Deacon
8: Stuart Fielden
9: Keiron Cunningham
10: Jamie Peacock (c)
11: Adrian Morley
12: Gareth Ellis
13: Kevin Sinfield

14: Mickey Higham
15: Jamie Thackray
16: Nick Fozzard
17: Paul Johnson

Sun_Down

Juniors
chriswalkerbush said:
Interesting. I'd have thoughts Calders'd make it. My squad:

11: Adrian Morley

16: Nick Fozzard
17: Paul Johnson

Good team. I don't know about Fozzard though, I don't recall seeing him play, how good is he?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Good team. I don't know about Fozzard though, I don't recall seeing him play, how good is he?

He's solid. You could easily slot someone like Wild or Wilkin for him, though

dingalingbell

Juniors
We've got no chance, no Cooke is a glaring omission, we need someone with a bit of flair due to all the injuries. At least the final shouldn't be as one-sided this year!!

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Sun_Down said:
Where is Diskin by the way?

Injured all year and didn't do much when he came back from the injury. A full off season should see him back to his best next year though.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Anyone naming Iestyn Harris and thinking GB are a chance are kidding themselves.

He did better than any other Great Britain half did against us last year, and he was better (form wise) this season. No McGuire hurts.

nadera78

Juniors
There are four players listed in the GB squad who have absolutely no business being anywhere near international footie.

Iestyn Harris was a flop at international level even before he went to union. Now, he's fat, slow and out of his depth.

Stephen Wild isn't even good enough for the Wigan team. They have just off loaded him to Huddersfiled. Brian Noble is the only man in the world to think Wild is good enough to be ther, even his family must know he isn't.

Peal Deacon? Well, I don't even know where to start with that one.

Nick Fozzard is a poor footballer. Likes to throw punches though.

Micky Higham is a very average player indeed. Not someone who has ever stood out even at club level.

And Wilkin, Raynor and Johnson can consider themselves very lucky to be there.

TBH I'm quite pessimistic now about GB's chances.

Scott

Bench
If the Poms name Harris and Deacon in the halves then they won't score a single point!

Burrow and Sinfield should be at 7 and 6.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Scott said:
If the Poms name Harris and Deacon in the halves then they won't score a single point!

Burrow and Sinfield should be at 7 and 6.

Harris and Deacon are a far more effective combination than Sinfield and Burrow. Bradford just won the Grand Final, coming from 3rd to do it. They have hardly lost a game since Harris got his fitness back.

To be honest this kind of reaction is always going to happen. 99% of the opinions on here so far are farcical, spouted by people who have no knowledge of the players involved.

The only player in the squad who does not deserve to be there is Stephen Wild. All the others, particularly Fozzard, Wilkin and Johnson of those criticised above have either great form going into the Tri-Nations orhave had a great season.

It is possible to pick a decent 17 from that squad. Cooke is booked in for surgery so couldn't be selected and McGuire is also injured.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Horne and Deacon should be 6 and 7, they're the only halves who offer anything.

Burrow's VERY overrated, he's far from international quality. Iestyn Harris goes missing, he couldn't set up a children's toy let alone a try at International level, too fat/slow and talentless.

And Keiron Cunningham.. I just don't rate this bloke, he's a prop who can pass the ball, I don't think he should be there but there aren't many options.

1 - Paul Wellens
2 - Leon Pryce
3 - Martin Gleeson
4 - Keith Senior
5 - Brian Carney
6 - Richard Horne
7 - Paul Deacon (GK)
8 - Stuart Fielden
9 - Keiron Cunningham
10 - Jamie Peacock (c)
11 - Paul Johnson
12 - Gareth Ellis
13 - Kevin Sinfield

14 - Adrian Morley
15 - Mickey Higham
16 - Jon Wilkin
17 - Jamie Thackray

Morley benched to keep Fozzard out of the side, he's worth 2 penalties a match and not much else.

bartman

Immortal
With Cunningham the only hooker, I think that guarantees Higham a bench spot, as someone will need to give him a break and come into dummy half.

So then I don't think GB can afford to go into a match with a half/back on the bench as well - it must be three forwards, as Sinfield picked at lock can cover halves if needed and there'll be someone in the 17 who can shift from back row/centre.

So I think they'll now go with:
11: Paul Johnson

16: Adrian Morley
17: Lee Gilmour/Jon Wilkin
18: Chev Walker/Richard Horne

coldhardbitch

Juniors
My GB Team

1.Wellens
2.Carney
3.Gleeson
4.L Pryce
5.Raynor
6.Harris
7.Deacon
8.Fielden
9.Cunningham
10.Morley
11.Peacock
12.Wilkin
13.Sinfield

14.Burrow
15.Thackray
16.Ellis
17.Johnson

this would be my starting 17, and despite the whinging, I actually am confident that this is a very good side and can go all the way.

Key men are Cunnigham at hooker, who will be dynamic, and not give away penalties such as newton.
Another is Rob Burrow, who will have a Matt Bowen like effect off the bench, and can fill many spots. he is quick and elusive and could prove an exiting handful.

Wilkin and thackray are great inclusions and will do their country proud. I'm suprised other Hull forwards are not included, but maybe next year.

Johnson and Pryce have been great in the back half of the season, and should be an asset.

The Gleeson-Carney combination is (IMO) the best centre-wing combo in the game, and Sinfield is the best player in Britain (Add his kicking game with Deacons, and many of the problems they had with Long last year will be eliminated). Add experienced forwards such as Morley, Peacock and Fielden and there is a pretty good team there.

Barring key injuries, i think we may be looking at our tri-nations champions

Jackal Dog

Juniors
What a sh*t squad no Cooke, Calderwood, Yeaman, Bailey, McGuire, Sykes, Crabtree and no second established hooker (unless Burrow can play there). I honestly don't know who is worse anymore Bennett or Noble.

Harris/Deacon is a laughable combo to put up against Lockyer/Johns.

ali

Bench
I for once am not too impressed with this squad either. Anyway, I'd go with Sinfield and Horne as my halves with Burrow on the bench. I don't rate either of Deacon or Harris. They still manage to look average behind Super league most intimidating pack of forwards. What are they going to look like if GB lose the battle in the middle?

Good to see Wilkin selected. He was very impressive for Saints in their finals match the other week.

I can't see GB winning it this year.

Latest posts