What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great britain team

industria ditat said:

If Harris gets anywhere near this team, we are history - with a bit of luck he will be banned from every stadium hosting all our matches.

I noticed some other comments about harris in earlier posts, mostly against his selection. Is he out of form, past his prime, or what? (I don't get to see games on tv.)

bartman

Immortal
Harris has been better in the back half of the season imo, Bradford were very inconsistent in the early stages. I think if Bradford continue to go well during the finals, it's probably likely they'll go with Harris and his experience to partner a younger half like MacGuire, especially now Long has picked up an injury?

JasonE

Bench
From all reports it sounds like Crabtree did his chances no harm at all after having a great game up against Fielden, Peacock, Morley, Vagana and Lynch.

Scott

Bench
I said a while ago that Crabtree has the goods. He must be in the GB team. He is a massive man.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Just went to the ESL site that Crabtree guy sounds like a beast at 6'6 117kg but does he have any skills? Someone remarked he is a bit like Willie Mason but Mason has more than size he has surprisingly good speed and agility what about this Crabtree guy?

JasonE

Bench
Yes, he does have the ability to off load but he dosen't have the speed or mobility of Willie Mason.

JasonE

Bench
JasonE said:
From all reports it sounds like Crabtree did his chances no harm at all after having a great game up against Fielden, Peacock, Morley, Vagana and Lynch.

I think depending on injuries that Lynch could be a GB bolter, he had a slow start to the year but he is finding form at the right time. He's big and he's got a decent offload.

PARANoIR

Bench
Scott said:
I said a while ago that Crabtree has the goods. He must be in the GB team. He is a massive man.

I agree. He will carve up. He's a gun. Hes the poms version of Mason.

MrCharisma

Bench
I think we've gotta use Kevin Sinfield this year... this man is a gun and I'm suprised to not be used last year.

Lynch is awesome... not sure if he is ready this year, I think the likes to Crabtree definately should see the GB jersey

I think Higham should have a spot somewhere.... either as starting hooker or off the bench as a utility hooker/halfback

MrCharisma

Bench
This is my GB side;

1. Paul Wellens
2. Marc Calderwood
3. Keith Senior
4. Martin Gleeson
5. Brian Carney
6. Kevin Sinfield
7. Sean Long (if fit)
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Kerron Cunningham
10. Adrian Morely
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Garreth Ellis
13. Sean O'Louglin

14. Ryan Bailey
15. Eorl Crabtree
16. Leon Pryce
17. Micky Higham

MrCharisma

Bench
SFW said:
O'Loughlin won't make it, he's still in recovery from a knee reconstruction.

Then I'd go

1. Paul Wellens
2. Marc Calderwood
3. Keith Senior
4. Martin Gleeson
5. Brian Carney
6. Danny McGuire
7. Sean Long (if fit)
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Kerron Cunningham
10. Adrian Morely
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Garreth Ellis
13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Ryan Bailey
15. Eorl Crabtree
16. Leon Pryce
17. Micky Higham

SFW

Juniors
Plenty of players in good form as we move into the finals, below are the players I would consider as certainties for the starting line-up:

1. Paul Wellens (St Helens)
2. Mark Calderwood (Leeds)
3. Martin Gleeson (Warrington)
4. Keith Senior (Leeds)
6. Kevin Sinfield (Leeds)
7. Danny McGuire (Leeds)
8. Stuart Fielden (Bradford)
9. Keiron Cunningham (St Helens)
10. Adrian Morley (Roosters/Bradford)
11. Jamie Peacock (Bradford) (c)
13. Paul Cooke (Hull FC)

A boat load of players have played themselves into contention these past few weeks, here's a rundown of the players that could yet make the 17.

Fullback

Richie Mathers (Leeds) - has come into form these past few weeks, although perversely that has coincided with Leeds' poor run. :lol:

Stuart Reardon (Bradford) - see below.

Wing

Ade Gardner (St Helens) - been solid all season, one of the most improved players of 2005 and must come into consideration when you consider the form of the other options.

Leon Pryce (Bradford) - spent a lot of time in the outside backs in recent weeks and is in excellent form. Has all the attributes to succeed at this level but his temprament remains a danger.

Stuart Reardon (Bradford) - hasn't set the world alight but he's a solid player who knows his way to the try line. Performed well for GB last season and he'd be my choice at the moment. Also a candidate for the fullback berth should Wellens get injured

Centre

Paul Sykes (London) - a superb season, since moving from fullback his attacking game has really come to the fore and he's a superb goalkicker too. Maybe a bit too soon for him though.

Chev Walker (Leeds) - was ineffective from the bench for GB last term but that role isn't for him. A classy centre who will certainly come into consideration should we pick up an injury.

Paul Johnson (Bradford) - another Bull who is coming into form at the right time. Couple this with his solid form for GB and it would surprise me if he wasn't in the squad. Worth a bench space as he can cover back row effectively.

Halves

Richard Horne (Hull FC) - would be on my bench as he can cover all through the backs and at hooker at a push. A good finals could propel him into the 7 shirt though.

Chris Thorman (Huddersfield) - in superb form and has almost carried the Giants to a playoff place. Can play 6 or 7 but would probably find a place hard to come by unless we pick up a lot of injuries.

Prop

Euan Dowes (Hull FC) - tough as teak and has got the stamina to stay out there for long spells, maybe not the type of player to bring off the bench but he's a capable understudy to Fielden.

Jamie Thackray (Hull FC) - has been in dominant form but maybe Hull's recent batch of big games has taken a bit of wind out of his sails? In any case one of the form props of 2005 and he'd be on my bench at the moment.

Ryan Bailey (Leeds) - lack of form and rumours of unrest are threatening his place in the side at the minute. Hasn't got any kind of form together this term and I'd be reluctant to give him a shirt.

Danny Ward (Leeds) - another Rhino who has been performing well while the rest of his team struggles, he's their front line prop now and his game has come on leaps and bounds from last season, where he didn't deserve GB recognition IMO. Would be on my bench.

Back Row

Gareth Ellis (Leeds) - been a bit blunt in an attacking sense this year but defensively he is without equal in SL. Can come on and shore up the defence whilst also providing cover for the centres, a bench spot for him at the very least.

Danny Tickle (Wigan) - Wigan's stand-out player by a mile this season, defensively sound and provides great impact in attack. Not too shabby with the boot either and he would be my bolter in the No. 12 shirt for the first game.

Lee Gilmour (St Helens) - remains to be seen whether he will be available following Thug Newton's antics on the weekend, but he's been consistently good in a dominant Saints pack this season and has never let GB down in a number of positions.

Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield) - perhaos not his most orthodox position but he could cause some serious damage as a wide runner and he has a good offload and defence.

Hooker

Malcolm Alker (Salford) - statistically the best hooker in SL this year and many would say he deserves a run. With Newton out and Diskin in poor nick I think he'll finally make the breakthrough this winter.

Micky Higham (St Helens) - back after injury and straight back into his best form, his pace and directness from dummy-half can cause trouble for any defence and he's a candidate for the bench.

In-goal

Bench
This is only covering a few positions

1. Paul Wellens St.Helens
2. Mark Calderwood Leeds
3. Martin Gleeson Warrington
4. Keith Senior Leeds
5. Brian Carney Wigan
6. Danny Mcguire Leeds
7. Richard Horne Hull (his kicking game in the CC final was long and accurate)
8. Stuart Fielden Bradford
9. Keiron Cunningham St.Helens
10.Danny Ward Leeds
11.Adrian Morley Sydney
12.Jamie Peacock Bradford
13.Kevin Sienfield Leeds

JasonE

Bench
I originally had Ryan Bailey in my squad but i've just finished watching the Wigan v Leeds game on DVD from just over a week ago and I must admit he was rubbish as he has been recently. So at the moment he wouldn't be in my GB team, i would pick 6 props in the 25 man squad.
Fielden, Fozzard, Lynch, Crabtree and Morley with one more out of Carvell, D.Sculthorpe and Thackray.

terracesider

Juniors
I would like to see something like:

1. Wellens
2. Calderwood
3. Gleeson
4. Senior
5. Raynor (Carney will be injured)
6. Sinfield
7. Burrow
8. Fielden
9. Cunningham
10. Anderson
11. Morley
12. Peacock
13. Ellis

14. Thorman
15. Reardon
16. Crabtree
17. Gilmour

But I don't really expect to see Calderwood or Burrow in the side. Noble doesn't do flair or the unexpected.

ESL - Wire

Juniors
Thorman will not make the team, he is poor. I also think Burrow's only place is coming on as a sub.

I'm not to impressed with Anderson either.