What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great britain team

The Clan

Juniors
It won't be the team that Noble picks but this is mine,

Sykes
Carney
Gleason
Senior/Yeaman
Richards/Senior
Sinfield
Horne
Thackray
Cunningham
Fielden
Morley
Peacock
Ellis

McGuire
Walker
Bailey
Carvell

Heres my reasoning:

Sykes may be unfamiliar to you but he's all quality.
A strong assured defensive player (he brought down vainikolo in full flight, one on one, in a shuddering tackle). very safe under the high ball and returns kicks with interest, pace and is hard to put down. he scores more than his fair share of tries and is a world class goalkicker.

Carney - No explanation needed really, Hardest working winger from his own 20 in the game. Tough, fast and elusive.

Gleason - Great hands and superb feet. A world class wingers centre who just happens to be big and strong with it. Comes into this Tri Series after a good season as opposed to last year when he had'nt played for 4 months.

Senior - Did'nt have his best Tournement last time out but was still more than a handfull for Aus & NZ. Feels he has a point to prove all over again which is bad news for his opposite numbers. Probably the toughest centre in world rugby he is also the consumate professional.

Richards - If he's available PICK HIM. I can't tell you anything you don't know about Richards. suffice to say he's been one of the top wingers in the NRL all season.

Alternatives
Yeaman - the only centre to have nullfied Lyon every time he's played opposite him this season. Young (22 I think) very strong and faultless in defence, Gasnier won't worry him! Good hands and a great provider for his winger.

If Richards can't play for GB then I'd switch Senior to the wing to accomodate Yeaman. With Yeamns service Senior would be devastating out wide with his power and pace.

Sinfield - Quite simply the best player in Super League this year bar none!
Mentaly tough, great defender, superb organiser and a world class kicking game. he plays the game with an intelligence that belies his age (25).

Horne - Just pips Burrow because of his extra maturity (He's only 23 but has been in SuperLeague since he was 16) Good organiser and a top defender, He has a good kicking game but his great strength is his ability to step through a crowd, make breaks and then choose good options when under pressure.

Thackray - revelation this year. Fearless and strong he's a battering ram! Defenders will knock him down but they'll know they've had to do it!
Thackray will still be coming at the line in the 80th minute and if you're tired of defending you're in trouble.

Cunningham - Has been in great form all season. At his best he's a damaging player to defend against. His strength is hard to deal with but if you set yourself to big hit him he'll step and offload while you look rooted to the ground. He needs to be 100% or leave him out for Diskin.

Fielden - Quite simply the best front rower in the game!
Webcke has retired and if the Ausies want to call Price or Ryles over Fielden then They'll have to better him on the field during a Test match.

Morley - No description of Morley's attributes needed but..
he owes GB a big series as he's never shown his best form in the internationals. I'd start him in the back row and move him up to prop at some stage of the game.

Peacock - Hard working, tough tackling very fit. operates at a high standard for 80 minutes of every game. No nonsense from peacock just graft, graft, graft. Then out of nowhere he'll break and the wingers can't catch him, he's that fast when in the open!

Ellis - Hurtfull defender who'll tackle all night. Runs the ball hard and has great hands for a big man. will play 80 minutes and provide high quality in every one. He's tough to stp near the line where his step and size will often get him over.

McGuire - for Mcguire see Marshall!
The simularities between these two is uncanny. Step, hands, pace, Kicking ability. McGuire also posesses that natural ability to be there for the final pass ala Terry lamb, garry Schoffield..

Walker - Big, strong and fast Walker has great utility value. A top centre, winger but is perhaps a bolter as a second rower.

Bailey - 6'4'' and 17.5 stone he's one of those players that no-one likes to defend against. He will have learned a great deal from last year and at 22 he will only get better.

Carvell - Big, tough and suprisingly quick when in open spece or charging at the line. Carvel has learned his trade and knows his job well. He wo'nt do anything fancy, he'll just cart the ball up over and over. Particularly relishes the hard work when driving up from within his own 20 metere.

bartman

Immortal
Interesting idea to have Senior on the wing and Yeaman in the team. Probably too weird for Noble, but could work a treat...

Looking at the Australian squad, I think the front row could be position where GBI hold an advantage, if players selected put in their best efforts.

Charge

Juniors
I actually wouldn't pick Morley. He has looked pretty ordinary when I've seen him back over here recently and when my dad went to Brisbane vs Roosters he said he kept an eye on him cos he was the only British player and he did nothing.

Taking that into account here is my current British team:

1. L. Pryce
2. Calderwood
3. Senior
4. Gleeson
5. Carney
6. Sinfield
7. McGuire
8. Bailey
9. Alker
10. Fielden
11. Peacock
12. Ellis
13. Cooke

14. Crabtree
15. Thackray
16. Johnson
17. Higham

The gameplan with the hookers (I'm sure a few of you are thinking Alker??) Alker is an awsome defensive hooker, easilly the best in his position in England. After 30 mins I would bring on Higham to speed up the ruck greatly.

Guess who topped the Props Opta scores this month: Crabtree.

Charge

Juniors
Phoney MX said:
Just went to the ESL site that Crabtree guy sounds like a beast at 6'6 117kg but does he have any skills? Someone remarked he is a bit like Willie Mason but Mason has more than size he has surprisingly good speed and agility what about this Crabtree guy?

I'm pretty sure that 2 years ago Crabtree was a centre, so he can't be that slow. Also, another beast from GB you should look out for in about 2 years time is Karl Pryce. Winger about the same size as Crabtree, should be ready for the 2008 world cup :)

ledzep

Bench
Charge said:
I actually wouldn't pick Morley. He has looked pretty ordinary when I've seen him back over here recently and when my dad went to Brisbane vs Roosters he said he kept an eye on him cos he was the only British player and he did nothing.
Morley has been awesome all season
You'd be mad not to pick him
He'd be one of the top 5 forwards in the world

Charge

Juniors
roosterbooster1 said:
Morley has been awesome all season
You'd be mad not to pick him
He'd be one of the top 5 forwards in the world

Going off the matches I have seen him in he is possibly the worst Bradford forward, although that isn't too bad because their pack is on fire at the moment. I just think he looks tired and doesn't make the impact he used to, perhaps he just needs a rest. As it is I feel that there are better players than him available at the moment, although I'm sure he will be in the team anyway.

Charge

Juniors
Saints 1st try was scored because Morley missed a tackle because he was out of position. I think he needs a rest.

Latest posts