What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great britain team

bartman

Immortal
Selection usually favours form teams and old favourites.

I'd be surprised to see any selection "bolters" from teams that finish outside the top six?

damo72

Juniors
Rob Burrow from what I have seen has to be right up there, Long has been tried and I cannot recall him being a shining light against the Aussies. Burrow reminds me of Matt Orford and must be doing something right in his combination with Sinfield to keep McGuire out of the side. I was surprised that Deacon and Sinfield weren't involved in the Tri Nations last season but I have been impressed with what I have seen of Richard Horne and Paul Cooke this season. If Carney is fit I can see him being guaranteed a spot, which would probably leave Calderwood, Walker, Reardon and maybe Ade Gardner. Senior has to be in there, more than likely with Gleeson, Sculthorpe, Peacock and Fielden pick themselves, and to really be up for an intimidating battle with both the Kiwis and the Aussies Ryan Bailey, Danny Ward and someone who has taken my eye this season is Jamie Thackray.

bartman

Immortal
Agree with all you've said Damo. It's building into another worthwhile series.

The GB train-on squad (as posted by Sun-Down above) are getting together in a camp this weekend (since Superleague has a week off). All except for the Leeds, St Helens and Hull players who are on Challenge CUp duty.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
My selection would be:

1 - Wellens

He is a cert, surely? Radlinski is about the only other option and he is awful at the moment and forever injured.

2 - Carney

Another cert, if fit. Which with Carney is a big thing.

3 - Gleeson

GB's best centre and another cert who is having a great season

4 - Senior

Another cert, scoring plenty this year

5 - Gardner

Has been superb for Saints this term, pace to burn and helps out the forwards with his kick returns. He is a better bet than playing a poor centre like Chev Walker out of position there, or a fullback like Reardon. Neither are any good on the wing. Gardner may not be perfect, but he is the best young winger, including Calderwood, in my opinion and could thrive next to Senior, who could also cover a lof of his defensive frailties. We have pacy wingers in GB, why play someone out of position like Reardon, Pryce or Walker when they would offer nothing in attack?

6 - Sinfield

A certain starter this time for sure? Only decision is where to play him, 6 or 13.

7 - ?Long?

I wouldn't pick Seany if there was anyone else, but there is not. Burrow, although a difficult player to put down would not phase the Australians and also doesn't have a kicking game. GB are very much lacking in this regard and this is the one position in which we cannot field a single half-decent player.

8 - Fielden

Another cert.

9 - Cunningham

Quite how anyone could not pick him is beyond me. Is easily the form hooker in Super League and starts for me if he feels like playing (He may pull out to prolong his club career, and protect his income). If GB could unleash a fully fit Cunningham on the Tri Nations, it would be a massive boost. He is a player of such quality that even Australia would have to fear him.

10 - Morley

Another cert

11 - Peacock

Another cert

12 - Ellis

Another cert

13 - Sculthorpe

El capitano and GB's finest. The only decision Noble has to make is where he plays, at 6 or 13.

14 - Fozzard - Great for Saints, don't see any reason why he can't be good for GB, provided he isn't given too long in his spells.
15 - Thackray - Having a great season and is a better bet than Bailey, who is nothing but a liability.
16 - Gilmour - Great utility value (All of back line and back row covered)
17 - McGuire - Although Burrow could take his place if in better form.

GB needs a scrum half before we can seriously bother Australia. We have not got a kicking game of any quality and even goal kicking is not going to be great. Sinfield will probably assume both roles, but we are crying out for a Gregory or a Goulding at the moment.

bartman

Immortal
There's a lot of "almost" halves, in the likes of Sculthorpe and Sinfield that can do a lot of the organising. But yeah unless there's a strong third choice in there at no 7, the attack will be too predictable and easy to shut down.

Long will give it his best for GB, but one day soon there needs to be a risk taken on someone else to see if something better is possible? Burrow? Horne?

Noble's bench choices will be interesting... I think he needs to favour impact there rather than reliability. In that light Thackray should be one of the forwards for sure.

D

Deleted member 10972

1. Paul Wellens/Kris Radlinski
2. Brian Carney
3. Keith Senior
4. ? Gleeson, Walker, Gilmour, Pryce ?
5. ? Calderwood, Gardner, Reardon, Walker ?
6. Kevin Sinfield
7. ? McGuire, Horne, Burrows ?
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Kieron Cunningham
10. Ryan Bailey
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Adrian Morley
13. Paul Sculthorpe

14. Gareth Ellis
15. Nick Fozzard
16. ? Burrows, McGuire, Diskin, Newton ?
17. ? Thackray, Ward, Sculthorpe ?

The wing & centre spots are up for grabs between Calderwood, Gleeson (overrated), Walker, Gardner, Pryce & Reardon, maybe even Gilmour. If Radlinski & Wellens are both fit, would one of them slot into centre or wing?

The halfback position is the key question. Long is far too predictable. Harris is finished. Burrows, McGuire & Horne are probably the best bets. If Horne is to be played, Burrows might starts on the bench, replacing Cunningham at hooker. McGuire would come on at the interchange of Bailey, moving Peacock or (preferrably) big Morley to prop, Sinfield to lock, Sculthorpe into the backrow, & himself to five-eighth. However Burrows is far better at halfback than hooker, & Matt Diskin & Terry Newton would be competing for a bench spot as a genuine dummy-half interchange player.

Jamie Thackray, Danny Sculthorpe (when in form), & Danny Ward would be competing for bench spots, as they have been impressive all year. But the bench make-up may vary depending on whether they choose to play a replacement dummy-half or half off the bench. This, along with the brilliant form of Nick Fozzard, narrowa it down to a single spot to be shared between the three forwards.

Sun_Down

Juniors
My backline:

1. Paul Wellens
2. Brian Carney
3. Keith Senior
4. Leon Pryce/Martin Gleeson
5. Stuart Reardon

shaggy

Juniors
what about switching cunningham 2 prop & diskin @ hooker with fieldon the other prop which frees up morley 2 move into the backrow with fieldon, sculthorpe @ lock, mcgurie @ 1/2s (he was wasted on the bench) with sinfield, gleeson in the centers with harris, canrey if fit on the wing otherwise reardon, with pryce on the other, radlinski if fit @ fulllbk otherwise wellens

havent seen super-league this yr but goin on past form its who i would go with, although im a fan of deacon i doubt hell get picked simply cause he didnt last yr, i cant understand how he hasnt left the bulls yet but thats 4 a completley different topic

bartman

Immortal
Some interesting positional changed suggested there...

I think Sinfield is better closer to the ball, McGuire needs to hit solid form this year before being an automatic selection - as does Harris.

Cummingham is doing good just where he is - if Diskin is on the bench and comes on Cummingham can just switch into the forwards later in the match?

damo72

Juniors
After watching the Dragons Roosters game tonight, I think the Aussies would love to come up against that side as Gasnier would give shaggys centres a hiding. My Great Britain line up would be

1. Radlinski (if fit) Mathers
2. Carney (if fit) Calderwood
3. Senior
4. Leon Pryce
5. Gardner
6. Sinfield
7. Burrow
8. Fielden
9. Cunningham
10. Bailey
11. Morley
12. Peacock
13. Sculthorpe

14. Ellis
15. McGuire/L.Robinson/R.Horne
16. Ward
17. Thackray

I would love to see Lee Briers return to full fitness as he is one player I do enjoy watching.

shaggy

Juniors
fair enough bartman about diskin, he can have impact off the bench, so that means fieldon in @ prop, if i was a selector i would have mcguire in the 13 or not @ all its ridculous havin players like him, long/deacon on the bench they r wasted, most 1/2 backs r 80 min players, the reason i had sinfiled at lock was because i dont think sculthorpe should be in the 1/2s so unless u move him 1 4ward in2 the 2nd row he should stay @ 13, i actually had 12 in my team as writting fieldon @ prop & 2ndrow, ive decided 2 rework my team
1 radlinski
2 carney
3 senior
4 gleeson
5 reardon
6 mcgurie
7 deacon
8 cunningham
9 newton
10 fieldon
11 peacock
12 morley
13 sinfield
14 pryce
15 peacock
16 diskin
17 o'loughlin

by the way damo keith senior is the best center in the world & is a great defender so he will stop gas killin my centers, as 4 coper he won't be in the 17 @ all

bartman

Immortal
Looks close Shaggy, anything's a possibility! O'Loughlin will need to be ruled fit, he hasn't played for a long time.

Sculthorpe's captain so I'd expect him to start, and in no. 13. Gareth Ellis should get a run in the pack too (think you've got Peacock twice ;-)), and so I'd expect them to opt for Morely in front row, despite his ability in the second row like you say.

I'm not sure Newton will rank above Cummingham or Diskin though, especially if Wigan don't make the semis. Sinfield will probably get 6 if not 13, so that means one of McGuire or Deacon gets benched or left out?

I agree you can only probably have one spare playmaker (hooker/half) on the bench, you need some forwards to come on and take up the workload.

industria ditat

Juniors
It's impossible to guess what Noble might do, he seems determined at times to stick with his favourites. Hopefully, the team will be something like :

1. Wellens
2. Calderwood/Raynor
3. Gleeson (first name on the team sheet)
4. Senior
5. Carney (if he manages to stay fit)
6. Sinfield
7. Burrow
8. Fielden
9. Cunningham
10. Bailey
11. Morley
12. Peacock
13. Sculthorpe

14. McGuire
15. Gilmour
16. Alker
17. Thackray

An unusual combination on the bench, but starting with lots of big forwards means we need a bit of variety coming off the bench. Using Alker will allow Cunningham the opportunity to move into the back row during the game, without losing out on organisation and defence(we always seem to forget about defence when talking about substitutes)
We still need a miracle to win, but if we pick the right team we might at least go close.

If Harris gets anywhere near this team, we are history - with a bit of luck he will be banned from every stadium hosting all our matches.

JasonE

Bench
My team
1. Richard Horne
2. Gareth Rayner
3. Martin Gleeson
4. Keith Senior
5. Leon Pryce
6. Kevin Sinfield
7. Danny McGuire
8. Nick Fozzard
9. Kieron Cunningham
10.Stuart Fielden
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Gaz Ellis
13. Paul Sculthorpe

reserves: Adrian Morley, Ryan Bailey, Lee Gilmour & Mick Higham/Rob Burrow

D

Deleted member 10972

Note: I am not as yet a fan of ESL for the sheer reason that i live in Australia & it isn't televised. But i've compiled a Great Britain team compiled from what i've gathered through this forum, & the Tri-Series from the last 2 years. All the people in the "Leftover" section at the end are players that i know little to nothing about, & if you feel they should be in either the GB 17 or the Backup team then please reply.

After a lot of deciding...this is what i believe would be the strongest Great Britain team possible (in other words, the team least likely for Brian Noble to choose). It's long, but i'm just giving my opinion on the players & why thy deserve their spots (Italics mean that they aren't in the current Great Britain squad, but i believe that they deserve a spot):

1. Kris Radlinski (Wigan Warriors) - As much as i admire Wellens for his recent performances, Radlinski is just in a class of his own. Relatively quick, with reliable support play, great defence, & a knack of defusing any kicks with superb positional play & catching, he is one of the best all-round fullbacks in the world. Does anyone else think that Wellens or even Radlinski himself might be capable of possibly filling the up-for-grabs spot in the centres? Both are better, in my opinion, than most of the other options. But in the meantime, Radlinski's surely the right man to go to as Great Britain's fullback.

2. Brian Carney (Wigan Warriors) - When fit, he is Great Britain's key finisher, & his speed, strength, & mental toughness make him an automatic pick for any Great Britain side. His only competition includes the likes of Reardon (more of a fullback, but not as good as Wellens or Radlinski), Walker (average, plus he is more of a centre), Pryce (solid, probably the best of the lot), Calderwood & Gardner (their momentary defensive lapses could prove costly, but they have blinding speed & are qualified finishers), & Carney is a class apart from all of them, so when fit his spot is pretty much assured.

3. Keith Senior (Leeds Rhinos) - The team's ever loyal stalwart, amazingly consistent & effective, who might be the only centre in the world able to contain big Mark Gasnier. Need i say more?

4. Martin Gleeson (Warrignton Wolves) - I was somewhat hesitant with this decision, but on looking at the other options, there wasn't much else to choose from. I am aware of his offence: a superb sidestep, along with his strength & a more than capable offload to his winger, but his lack of speed, & his average defence, might mean that he would have trouble against the far more mobile centres of the other nations, & I would suggest Senior mark up against the likes of Vagana & Gasnier. To me, he is a solid, if slightly above average, attacking player who doesn't solve England's centre woes...yet.

5. Leon Pryce (Bradford Bulls) - Well being up against the aforementioned possibilities (see '2. Brian Carney'), I believe he is the best option on wing. Pryce is far safer defensively than the likes of Mark Calderwood & Ade Gardner, plus is far more built physically than the others too. Unfortunately he doesn't have the attacking prowess or speed of Calderwood or Gardner, which may lead to a possible lack of firepower, but nevertheless is a great finisher. Be on the look out for his younger brother Karl, who is absolutely huge for his age, & is a genuine prospect as a GB back in years to come.

6. Kevin Sinfield (Leeds Rhinos) - He has been a revelation this year, & seems to be a more than worthy successor to Andy Farrell. Where Farrell failed (we all know that Farrell was a second-rower or even prop), Sinfield has all the ingredients to succeed, & succeed in style. He has a brilliant passing game, a kicking game of genuine potential, solid ball-running skills, & is a VERY good goal-kicker on his day. He lacks the bulk that Farrell had, but Sinfield's mobility in the forward pack, along with his ball-playing skills, earned him his spot as Great Britain's standoff. Can play at lock if required.

7. Danny McGuire (Leeds Rhinos) - The livewire, he did not get anywhere near enough game time during the last Tri-Series, & although his form this year has been up & down (due to injuries & inconsistency), he is an amazing talent, & hopefully the future of the GB team (fingers crossed). His speed off the mark is dangerous to lazy marker defence & in a broken field, while his passing & kicking games have been very strong in recent times. He can create something out of nothing, especially when he chooses to run the ball, & always has the defence on their toes. Can also play at hooker.

8. Stuart Fielden (Bradford Bulls) - Stuart is, when fired up, one of the best props in the world today. Capable of playing out the full 80 minutes from up front, his size, strength & momentum give him the ability to break tackles & offload with relative ease. He also tackles himself to a standstill if it means victory for his team, & never lays down & gives up. Fielden eats up the metres & is rarely ever dominated or intimidated by the opposition pack. Adding to that is the fact that he is still relatively young, & for years to come should be a certainty for selection in the strongest Great Britain 17.

9. Kieron Cunningham (St Helens) - When he puts his mind to it, Cunningham can be the most destructive dummy-half in the world. He runs the ball like an extra forward, passes & kicks like an extra half, can hit up & offload freely due to his large frame, & can even generate surprising pace off the mark when he's on his game. Add to that his useful short kicking game, & his trademark dummy-half barges from close range, & he SHOULD be an automatic selection. Can play in the backrow if required, due to his size & power. Now, about his fitness & commitment to the game...

10. Ryan Bailey (Leeds Rhinos) - Bailey can have extreme impact at international level, if he can keep his cool. The Great Britain firebrand is known for his sheer aggression & power, shown in his determined charges, destructive tackles, & thunderous hits. GB may have finally found a forward with the "intimidation factor" that New Zealand & Australia have had for so long. He lacks fitness, being only effective in short spells, & his tendency to give away stupid penalties from losing control of his temper are liabilities, but i believe he can get the job done, & leave a permanent mark too.

11. Jamie Peacock (Bradford Bulls) - The wholehearted second-rower & vice-captain is a quality player, & a certainty for England selection. He hits up with brute force, is very strong in defence, & is one of the premier backrowers in the world of Rugby League. It usually takes quite a few defenders to bring the big man down, & he plays with the aggression & go-forward of a frontrower. He rarely fails to perform on the big stage, & is supported by an already brilliant forward pack, including a second row that is nothing short of spectacular, both in skill & leadership. Can play at prop if required.

12. Adrian Morley (Sydney Roosters) - Whether it be his inspirational bustling runs, his crunching, bone-rattling hits, or his habit of stepping up when the going gets tough, Adrian Morley has matured into a leader. Having tamed his tendency to self-implode in the NRL, he has tightened his tackling technique, gives away far less penalties, & has gained a yard or two in speed, & as improved his match fitness to being an 80 minute backrower. He has now matured into a leadership figure in the Great Britain outfit, & would have genuine impact throughout. Can play at prop if required.

13. Paul Sculthorpe (C) (St Helens) - The captain, & one of the worlds finest. He tackles like a machine, runs hard at the line in search of valuable metres, passes & kicks with undeniable skill & accuracy, & is possibly the best lock forward in the world, #1 in defence & #3 in attack (behind Ben Kennedy & SBW). He never ceases to try his hardest, giving 100% in every one of his performances. He is also a brilliant captain, who shoulders the leadership & can motivate his team when things seem grim. He has always been more talented than Farrell, & deserves his spot more than anyone.

BENCH:

14. Nick Fozzard (St Helens) - Fozzard has outdone Jamie Thackray, Danny Ward, Danny Sculthorpe (most effective when fit, which unfortunately for GB is a rarity), Keith Mason, Paul King, Eorl Crabtree & Ewan Dowes at claiming a spot on the Great Britain bench. The powerhouse prop is capable of damaging runs, stinging defence, & I believe he will pick up the reigns where Terry O'Connor & Barrie McDermott left off. His own spot, though, will be under heavy competition from the aforementioned forwards in the years to come, & will need a standout Series to cement his position in the GB 17.

15. Robert Burrow (Leeds Rhinos) - The little jack-in-the-box of the ESL, he is a dangerous ball-runner who can fill in as one of the halves, or at hooker. His recent displays along Sinfield (during the McGuire injury) have been amazing, as he has displayed stunning all-round skills, including a pinpoint passing game, quick acceleration & footwork, & sound organisational skills. His kicking game still needs to be worked on, but there is plenty of time & talent to work with, & the Great Britain team with him & McGuire gives it a certain spark that neither Long, Horne, Diskin, nor Newton could produce.

16. Gareth Ellis (Leeds Rhinos) - Ellis's utility value would be superb in this already powerful team. His ability to play all over the park, whether it be in the backs or up front as a backrower, would give Great Britain an advantage, & a safety net to fill-in for any on-field injuries suffered during the course of the game. Possesses solid ball skills & is a strong runner on the fringes of the ruck, much in the mould of a Shaun Timmins, Steve Simpson, or Matt Gidley. Due to his stellar recent performances, he has cemented his spot, & the selectors consider him a certain selection in the Great Britain 17.

17. Lee Gilmour (St Helens) - Another utility in the mould of Gareth Ellis, he is also a great player capable of filling in at either the centres or in the backrow. He has earned his place through sheer consistency, though his position though might be under pressure for the inclusion of another prop, namely Jamie Thackray, Danny Ward, or Danny Sculthorpe (when fit he is brilliant). But with the current forwards such as Adrian Morley & Stuart Fielden being able to play for extended periods, along with the option of playing Cunningham as a running forward, Gilmour's opportunity is beckoning.

Back-Up - The "Shadow Team:

1. Paul Wellens (St Helens)
2. Mark Calderwood (Leeds Rhinos)
3. Ade Gardner (St Helens)
4. Gareth Raynor (Hull FC)
5. Stuart Reardon (Bradford Bulls)
6. Richard Horne (Hull FC)
7. Lee Briers (Warrington Wolves)
8. Jamie Thackray (Hull FC)
9. Matt Diskin (Leeds Rhinos)
10. Danny Ward (Leeds Rhinos)
11. Gareth Hock (Wigan Warriors)
12. Danny Tickle (Wigan Warriors)
13. Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan Warriors)

14. Chev Walker (Leeds Rhinos)
15. Terry Newton (Wigan Warriors)
16. Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield Giants)
17. Danny Sculthorpe (Wigan Warriors)

Leftovers: Sean Long (St Helens), Kevin Brown (Wigan Warriors), Mickey Higham (St Helens), Paul Johnson (Bradford Bulls), Paul Cooke (Hull FC), Iestyn Harris (Bradford Bulls), James Langley (Bradford Bulls), Steve Wild (Wigan Warriors), John Wilkin (St Helens), Dave Hodgson (Salford), Chris Thorman (Huddersfield Giants), Paul King (Hull FC), Shaun Briscoe (Hull FC), Paul Deacon (Bradford Bulls), Richard Mathers (Leeds Rhinos), Michael Withers (Bradford Bulls), Keith Mason (St Helens), Luke Robinson (Salford City Reds), Ewan Dowes (Hull FC), Karl Pryce (Bradford Bulls)

TOTAL SQUAD NUMBER: 54 (14 TO BE OMITTED)

NB: When Karl Pryce matures, i believe he will play as a Great Britain back, with Leon dropping down to the reserve team, & hopefully Calderwood dropping out of the frame completely (don't know what people see in that guy, Ade Gardner is a far better prospect in my eyes).

Phillips

Referee
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
14. Nick Fozzard - Fozzard has outdone Jamie Thackray, Danny Ward, Danny Sculthorpe (who is probably the more effective forward when fit, which unfortunately is a rarity), Keith Mason & Michael Korkidas at claiming a spot on the Great Britain bench

he's Australian, can he be picked for England?

shaggy

Juniors
bloody hell
i meant 2 put sculthorpe in the 2nd row & leave peacock on the bench
also get rid of o'loughlin from the bench & replace him with ellis
i put morley in the 2ndrow because i think hes wasted in the front row & with my bench u can bring on a backrower & move him 1 foraward when fieldon or cunningham get tired

Latest posts