What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Club Cronulla - Aren't They?

Frank Facer

First Grade
oh man Id hate to have that FILTH bag here!
I like the look of TIMM much better!
Fifita is probably the number 1 prop in the game right now. If we had Fifita and Vaughan as our starting props, we would have the best pair of props in the game. Fifita provides X factor.

I have only seen Timm play in the Charity Shield and in the trial against Newy. I liked what I saw. I would like to see him get a run off the bench this year. He runs hard and looks tough.

nontime111

Juniors
Fifita is probably the number 1 prop in the game right now. If we had Fifita and Vaughan as our starting props, we would have the best pair of props in the game. Fifita provides X factor.

I have only seen Timm play in the Charity Shield and in the trial against Newy. I liked what I saw. I would like to see him get a run off the bench this year. He runs hard and looks tough.
I just dont like him or his criminal links, Id rather one of our guns be given a go thats all, also I dont think hes too consistent either

possm

Coach

We never really need to extend the likes of Allgood and Latimore. One more good first grade prop along with Vaughan, Graham, K Sims, Lawrie, Kerr and Timm would have don the job. If Millward would have gone this way, I'm sure we would not see a repeat of the mid-season fatigue seen over the past few seasons.

possm

Coach
Cronulla’s 2016 premiership win has been called into question despite the NRL’s insistence the club was salary cap compliant when they won the title.
The Sharks copped heavy fines and have had coach Shane Flanagan deregistered by the governing body after CEO Barry Russell self-reported suspicious payments to players discovered in the club’s server.

Last week the NRL announced it had discovered breaches of the salary cap dating back to 2013 after a list of proposed payments to players outside of the cap was discovered, but insisted they did not affect the club’s premiership year.

“It stepped up a gear in 2017, the year after the premiership. That’s when they formed a separate company with the sole intention of manufacturing third-party sponsorships for the club.”

Including fines for communicating with coach Flanagan while serving an NRL suspension in 2014, the club was whacked with $1.25m in sanctions last week (with $500,000 suspended), and will have a $707,000 penalty imposed on their salary cap to be spread over the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

However, Kent said the penalty did not compare to other clubs who have also breached the rules.

“It’s more systematic than other clubs who have copped harsher penalties,” he said

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/2ad1d5f58844c3413910a8a95b38c118

And the beat goes on!

KiamaSaint

Coach
lol - Sharks didn't merge, not for want of trying. Despite your best efforts, the Rabbitohs didn't want you, the Dragons didn't want you and the Steelers didn't want you. No one wanted the whore of Sutherland, now p!ss off to you own forums you merkins.

Crush

Coach
lol - Sharks didn't merge, not for want of trying. Despite your best efforts, the Rabbitohs didn't want you, the Dragons didn't want you and the Steelers didn't want you. No one wanted the whore of Sutherland, now p!ss off to you own forums you merkins.
This is actually not true regarding St George.
The Dragons were open to merging with the Sharks but the Sharks weren't interested. True fact.
That's why all the Dragons old boys on the Dragons board despise the Sharks to this day.

possm

Coach
The Dragons were open to merging with the Sharks but the Sharks weren't interested. True fact.
That's why all the Dragons old boys on the Dragons board despise the Sharks to this day.

The bad blood between the St George Club and the Cronulla Southerland Club goes back to the days when there was a big dispute at Board level at St George and a few Board members took their ball and went home to plot to form the Cronulla Southerland Club. The split weakend the St George club much to the delight of nearly every club in the league mainly because St George were the bench mark and had a history of 11 wins in a row which was un-matched in the world of rugby league.

KiamaSaint

Coach
I don't know where you get your information from but that is not true.

Smack

Coach
Cronulla’s 2016 premiership win has been called into question despite the NRL’s insistence the club was salary cap compliant when they won the title.
The Sharks copped heavy fines and have had coach Shane Flanagan deregistered by the governing body after CEO Barry Russell self-reported suspicious payments to players discovered in the club’s server.

Last week the NRL announced it had discovered breaches of the salary cap dating back to 2013 after a list of proposed payments to players outside of the cap was discovered, but insisted they did not affect the club’s premiership year.

“It stepped up a gear in 2017, the year after the premiership. That’s when they formed a separate company with the sole intention of manufacturing third-party sponsorships for the club.”

Including fines for communicating with coach Flanagan while serving an NRL suspension in 2014, the club was whacked with $1.25m in sanctions last week (with $500,000 suspended), and will have a $707,000 penalty imposed on their salary cap to be spread over the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

However, Kent said the penalty did not compare to other clubs who have also breached the rules.

“It’s more systematic than other clubs who have copped harsher penalties,” he said

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/2ad1d5f58844c3413910a8a95b38c118

And the beat goes on!

They need to be stripped of their premiership, relocated to Afghanistan, shark park bulldozed and ryles sent to prison

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I just dont like him or his criminal links, Id rather one of our guns be given a go thats all, also I dont think hes too consistent either

Fifita the metre eater is not always as hungry as people make out and has been known to instigate a Jenny Craig crash diet at a moments notice.
A further search on the Lost & Found notice board will highlight many sightings of the one who bears the name of, Fifita ( which country can l play for now! ).

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
$40M windfall turns Sharks one of the game’s financial powerhouse
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
March 14, 2019 8:30pm

Subscriber only
The Cronulla Sharks have secured a game-changing $40 million cash injection that will turn the NRL’s premiership paupers into a long-term powerhouse.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sharks are poised to announce an agreement to fast-track tens of millions of property development dollars, killing off speculation of a forced relocation or merger as the game looks towards the hot topic of expansion.

Under the agreement being finalised by lawyers, the Sharks will receive an immediate $9 million payment to get rid of all debts and cover their recent salary cap fine and a projected $3 million football club loss in 2019.

62d82410b6d4722b5d5c7edabdd16b96

Cronulla look set to keep going up, up. Image: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts
Later this year another $18 million from developers Capital Bluestone will go into a future investments fund that will provide long term income for the football club, estimated at $1.5 million annually to support the NRL side outside of sponsorship, membership and gate takings.

A further $12 million will go into an escrow fund, money held by a third party that becomes available to the Sharks once building work begins on the new Leagues Club and shopping centre on their Woolooware Bay site. The $12 million which must specifically be used for the new Leagues Club, which is expected to be completed in 2021.

9bdd62b33266fdf3047dd83120284dc7

How the Sharks’ new development will look.
The Sharks have agreed terms with Capital Bluestone to sell their remaining interest in the Woolooware Bay Town Centre staged development to get the money advanced.

Cronulla, along with the Manly Sea Eagles and Wests Tigers, have for years been under threat of a relocation or merger as the game looks to expand and include Perth and a second Brisbane team before a new TV broadcast deal is finalised for 2022.

“We’re not going anywhere,” declared chairman Dino Mezzatesta, “This club will carefully invest the money to ensure we have long term income outside of football and poker machines. The board has put in place an investment committee to ensure the funds would be carefully invested.

“It places us in an absolute position of strength for the future and guarantees the Sharks’ future will always be in the Shire.

“We’ve been around for more than 50 years and will be around for another 50.”

The Sharks had been under enormous financial strain without a major sponsor, having to deal with the salary cap scandal, the termination payment to coach Shane Flanagan and calls to strip the club of the 2016 premiership.

This is despite the fact the Sharks were actually $130,000 under the salary cap when they won the competition, although the NRL have since found two non-compliant third party deals, collectively worth $70,000.

The club was hauled before an NRL finance committee late last year to explain their precarious position with a warning from CEO Todd Greenberg of no future bailouts for financially stricken clubs.

Cronulla Sharks Jayden & Blayke Brailey
The new funding deal elevates the Sharks to a powerful position alongside the most secure of the nine Sydney based clubs.

Outside of the $40 million, the Sharks are poised to receive a further $16 million from the State and Federal governments for ground improvements and a high performance facility at the venue they own.

“We will be as strong and secure as any of our rivals in Sydney,” Mezzatesta said.

“We have undergone the most searching compliance overhaul and can now move forward with a new coach and a great roster capable of playing finals football.

“This agreement enables us to de-risk rather than divorce ourselves from the development.

“We acknowledge and thank our partner Capital Bluestone for working towards this successful outcome for both parties and for its ongoing support for the Sharks.”

getsmarty

Immortal
$40M windfall turns Sharks one of the game’s financial powerhouse
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
March 14, 2019 8:30pm

Subscriber only
The Cronulla Sharks have secured a game-changing $40 million cash injection that will turn the NRL’s premiership paupers into a long-term powerhouse.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sharks are poised to announce an agreement to fast-track tens of millions of property development dollars, killing off speculation of a forced relocation or merger as the game looks towards the hot topic of expansion.

Under the agreement being finalised by lawyers, the Sharks will receive an immediate $9 million payment to get rid of all debts and cover their recent salary cap fine and a projected $3 million football club loss in 2019.

62d82410b6d4722b5d5c7edabdd16b96

Cronulla look set to keep going up, up. Image: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts
Later this year another $18 million from developers Capital Bluestone will go into a future investments fund that will provide long term income for the football club, estimated at $1.5 million annually to support the NRL side outside of sponsorship, membership and gate takings.

A further $12 million will go into an escrow fund, money held by a third party that becomes available to the Sharks once building work begins on the new Leagues Club and shopping centre on their Woolooware Bay site. The $12 million which must specifically be used for the new Leagues Club, which is expected to be completed in 2021.

9bdd62b33266fdf3047dd83120284dc7

How the Sharks’ new development will look.
The Sharks have agreed terms with Capital Bluestone to sell their remaining interest in the Woolooware Bay Town Centre staged development to get the money advanced.

Cronulla, along with the Manly Sea Eagles and Wests Tigers, have for years been under threat of a relocation or merger as the game looks to expand and include Perth and a second Brisbane team before a new TV broadcast deal is finalised for 2022.

“We’re not going anywhere,” declared chairman Dino Mezzatesta, “This club will carefully invest the money to ensure we have long term income outside of football and poker machines. The board has put in place an investment committee to ensure the funds would be carefully invested.

“It places us in an absolute position of strength for the future and guarantees the Sharks’ future will always be in the Shire.

“We’ve been around for more than 50 years and will be around for another 50.”

The Sharks had been under enormous financial strain without a major sponsor, having to deal with the salary cap scandal, the termination payment to coach Shane Flanagan and calls to strip the club of the 2016 premiership.

This is despite the fact the Sharks were actually $130,000 under the salary cap when they won the competition, although the NRL have since found two non-compliant third party deals, collectively worth $70,000.

The club was hauled before an NRL finance committee late last year to explain their precarious position with a warning from CEO Todd Greenberg of no future bailouts for financially stricken clubs.

Cronulla Sharks Jayden & Blayke Brailey
The new funding deal elevates the Sharks to a powerful position alongside the most secure of the nine Sydney based clubs.

Outside of the $40 million, the Sharks are poised to receive a further $16 million from the State and Federal governments for ground improvements and a high performance facility at the venue they own.

“We will be as strong and secure as any of our rivals in Sydney,” Mezzatesta said.

“We have undergone the most searching compliance overhaul and can now move forward with a new coach and a great roster capable of playing finals football.

“This agreement enables us to de-risk rather than divorce ourselves from the development.

“We acknowledge and thank our partner Capital Bluestone for working towards this successful outcome for both parties and for its ongoing support for the Sharks.”

Thanks for posting....Bad news if correct.

Crush

Coach
Why is it bad news mate?
I'd be spewing if the sharks relocated. I love the club rival tradition we have with them. In fact I'd be devastated.
I don't want any team to leave the NRL particularly those that the Dragons have a rivalry with, imagine if the Dogs left the competition or the Broncos!

This article is good news for me, glad that we get to face the Sharks year in year out.

Coffs dragon

Bench
They'll be no parking at that monstrosity & probably have to walk a few K's....like the rest of an overdeveloped Cronulla!
Look it all sounds good on paper & in theory, but in reality it's a stay of execution IMO!!