What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Club Cronulla - Aren't They?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Why is it bad news mate?
I'd be spewing if the sharks relocated. I love the club rival tradition we have with them. In fact I'd be devastated.
I don't want any team to leave the NRL particularly those that the Dragons have a rivalry with, imagine if the Dogs left the competition or the Broncos!

This article is good news for me, glad that we get to face the Sharks year in year out.

Yes, nothing beats throwing a bit of dirt at the Narks.
Great area, great surf, nice people, just don't like the club.
Would almost bring a tear to my eye if they were to leave ............. l said, almost!

Wittenberg

Juniors
They are great now! $40 million great and with Todd Greenberg talking once again about relocating teams......here we go again. We are safe probably because of the Illawarra region partnership but there would appear to be some in NRL land who think that the RedV brand is so strong across the nation that it could be grafted onto any region in the country and survive. Our strength could become our weakness sometime down the road.

getsmarty

Immortal
Why is it bad news mate?
I'd be spewing if the sharks relocated. I love the club rival tradition we have with them. In fact I'd be devastated.
I don't want any team to leave the NRL particularly those that the Dragons have a rivalry with, imagine if the Dogs left the competition or the Broncos!

This article is good news for me, glad that we get to face the Sharks year in year out.

The NRL have stated that they want to eventually cull the number of Sydney teams. Better someone else and especially if they are from our area takes the pressure off us....I to enjoy the rivalry but someones got to go..........

The NRL have stated that they want to eventually cull the number of Sydney teams. Better someone else and especially if they are from our area takes the pressure off us....I to enjoy the rivalry but someones got to go..........
I say send the dogs, Manly and Souffs or Easts, one of those 2

BankstownDragon

Juniors
$40M windfall turns Sharks one of the game’s financial powerhouse
Phil Rothfield, Sports Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
March 14, 2019 8:30pm

Subscriber only
The Cronulla Sharks have secured a game-changing $40 million cash injection that will turn the NRL’s premiership paupers into a long-term powerhouse.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sharks are poised to announce an agreement to fast-track tens of millions of property development dollars, killing off speculation of a forced relocation or merger as the game looks towards the hot topic of expansion.

Under the agreement being finalised by lawyers, the Sharks will receive an immediate $9 million payment to get rid of all debts and cover their recent salary cap fine and a projected $3 million football club loss in 2019.

62d82410b6d4722b5d5c7edabdd16b96

Cronulla look set to keep going up, up. Image: AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts
Later this year another $18 million from developers Capital Bluestone will go into a future investments fund that will provide long term income for the football club, estimated at $1.5 million annually to support the NRL side outside of sponsorship, membership and gate takings.

A further $12 million will go into an escrow fund, money held by a third party that becomes available to the Sharks once building work begins on the new Leagues Club and shopping centre on their Woolooware Bay site. The $12 million which must specifically be used for the new Leagues Club, which is expected to be completed in 2021.

9bdd62b33266fdf3047dd83120284dc7

How the Sharks’ new development will look.
The Sharks have agreed terms with Capital Bluestone to sell their remaining interest in the Woolooware Bay Town Centre staged development to get the money advanced.

Cronulla, along with the Manly Sea Eagles and Wests Tigers, have for years been under threat of a relocation or merger as the game looks to expand and include Perth and a second Brisbane team before a new TV broadcast deal is finalised for 2022.

“We’re not going anywhere,” declared chairman Dino Mezzatesta, “This club will carefully invest the money to ensure we have long term income outside of football and poker machines. The board has put in place an investment committee to ensure the funds would be carefully invested.

“It places us in an absolute position of strength for the future and guarantees the Sharks’ future will always be in the Shire.

“We’ve been around for more than 50 years and will be around for another 50.”

The Sharks had been under enormous financial strain without a major sponsor, having to deal with the salary cap scandal, the termination payment to coach Shane Flanagan and calls to strip the club of the 2016 premiership.

This is despite the fact the Sharks were actually $130,000 under the salary cap when they won the competition, although the NRL have since found two non-compliant third party deals, collectively worth $70,000.

The club was hauled before an NRL finance committee late last year to explain their precarious position with a warning from CEO Todd Greenberg of no future bailouts for financially stricken clubs.

Cronulla Sharks Jayden & Blayke Brailey
The new funding deal elevates the Sharks to a powerful position alongside the most secure of the nine Sydney based clubs.

Outside of the $40 million, the Sharks are poised to receive a further $16 million from the State and Federal governments for ground improvements and a high performance facility at the venue they own.

“We will be as strong and secure as any of our rivals in Sydney,” Mezzatesta said.

“We have undergone the most searching compliance overhaul and can now move forward with a new coach and a great roster capable of playing finals football.

“This agreement enables us to de-risk rather than divorce ourselves from the development.

“We acknowledge and thank our partner Capital Bluestone for working towards this successful outcome for both parties and for its ongoing support for the Sharks.”

I may be wrong, but it looks like this is being reported as fact already.
With the current property and construction markets on the decline and Australia entering a mini recession, this venture/project may not be as lucrative or successful.
There is already a massive over supply of units, both residential and commercial.

Anyway good luck to them if it's true.

possm

Coach

And the old boys club at SGI, sit with their head in the sand guarding their protected privilege and resisting any change for the good of the Club. A day will come when the real desires of the NRL are revealed, it won't be re-locating SGI, it will be restricting our catchment area to the Illawarra area.

Yes our St George district to be carved up to the benefit of Sharks, Rabbits and Dogs.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I may be wrong, but it looks like this is being reported as fact already.
With the current property and construction markets on the decline and Australia entering a mini recession, this venture/project may not be as lucrative or successful.
There is already a massive over supply of units, both residential and commercial.

Anyway good luck to them if it's true.
That is actually part of the reason why we struck up this deal (property market downturn) as well as the fact we're 9 mill in debt. We have foregone ownership of the retali sector in exchange for the 18 million payment later this year. Another 12 million is set aside for the leagues club upgrade and the other 16 mill is for the centre of excellence. As far as clubs relocating etc.... I'd be gutted if the Saints were relocated....one of the greatest derbys in the game. With the right management there is no reason why any club should be forced to relocate given the Nrl pays the clubs 120% of the salary cap.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Sorry to Shark Supporters, but they are the easiest to be moved. I could see them going to Perth.

• They need a new start;
  • have financial trouble;
  • can't attract a sponsor;
  • have the least political power in the NRL;
  • Are reliant on the NRL to fund operations;
  • have a small junior area
  • have been involved in enough scandals over the past decade.
  • Have now won a premiership for the area.

I can also see the West Tigers getting pushed to partly relocate to western Sydney eg Liverpool, Prestons and Campbelltown.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Sorry RedV but not politically strong? Look at the salary cap scandals. Merely slaps on the wrist and Greenberg constantly defends them with the ‘self reporting ‘ of $50,000 line. Not financially strong? Well they are in a far better position than us now, far better. With developers after a slice of the action sponsors will be no issue in the years ahead. The NRL will no longer ‘own’ any part of the Sharks by the end of next year and would the NRL move the club away from the land it is providing for development? I doubt it. No the Sharks are now untouchable in Sydney. Illawarra is the crucial card helping us not being in the firing line. The nightmare I have is that the NRL might expand the Illawarra area while the ownership of our spiritual heartland will decrease and perhaps become merely symbolic rather than real. Do you think I am just depressed? I hope so.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Hey Wittenberg, hear what your saying just be very careful with these developers over the next 12 months. They can very easy walk away as the housing market implodes.

I actually like Cronulla, they are my second favorite team, but I see them in a lot of trouble in the not too distant future. Sorry.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Good timing gummies. Usual bs this club comes up with and ofcourse Buzz is the media, mediator and informer.

1.So who will "buy" the units in this climate?
2. If the developer stuffs up in this high risk market gummies go down too.
3. It's a big gamble and I hope the NRL see it.
4. I still believe NRL want sharks to join Sgi. It makes sense as it was once our turf.
5. Make it happen NRL along with a super stadium in the South

SaintPauli

Juniors
Other consolidation should be,
South/Roarters - like to see that happen !!!
Manly will fold and then join above

Canterbury and Parra

Penrith ok.

West tigers ok

Then add another 2 Queensland teams
I.e. 2nd Brisbane team and Ipswich
And Perth.

Good timing gummies. Usual bs this club comes up with and ofcourse Buzz is the media, mediator and informer.

1.So who will "buy" the units in this climate?
2. If the developer stuffs up in this high risk market gummies go down too.
3. It's a big gamble and I hope the NRL see it.
4. I still believe NRL want sharks to join Sgi. It makes sense as it was once our turf.
5. Make it happen NRL along with a super stadium in the South
Not sure to many are understanding what’s going on here.

Sharks are mitigating their risk on future sales etc. we are taking a sizeable $ amount which ultimately would be lower than the original expectation from sales. We probably have agreed to the expected rental going or reduced.

So in fact we have reduced risk to convert to cash which we will invest and put $ in a futures account to upgrade the leagues club.

So, forget the property market concern or developer pulling out etc etc, we are removing that risk to the club

possm

Coach

Canterbury and Parra

Penrith ok.

West tigers ok

And Perth.
Maybe a North Brisbane team and a Perth team to enter the competition.
I'd like to see a Nth Island and Sth Island NZ team competing in a second tier comp.

A joint venture between Parramatta and Canterbury is a great idea.
I also like the idea of a Souths and Easts joint venture.
I'd love to see Manly and Central Coast have another crack at a joint vernture.

The Dragons and Tigers have already done their duty and gone through the pain of a joint venture. Both experiments not very successful.

Ritzley

Juniors
Not sure to many are understanding what’s going on here.

Sharks are mitigating their risk on future sales etc. we are taking a sizeable $ amount which ultimately would be lower than the original expectation from sales. We probably have agreed to the expected rental going or reduced.

So in fact we have reduced risk to convert to cash which we will invest and put $ in a futures account to upgrade the leagues club.

So, forget the property market concern or developer pulling out etc etc, we are removing that risk to the club

That's a fair assessment - the Shark's Board obviously saw what happened to the Tigers and the promises of unlimited wealth they were promised - you know at some point in the future......

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

Canterbury and Parra

Penrith ok.

West tigers ok

And Perth.

What about Dogs & West Tigers?
ANd Parra and taking over Campbelltown?
Souths and Rosters?
Along with Shark and Dragons?

Leading to second Brisbane team and Perth/Central Coast

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This is actually not true regarding St George.
The Dragons were open to merging with the Sharks but the Sharks weren't interested. True fact.
That's why all the Dragons old boys on the Dragons board despise the Sharks to this day.
That's not correct. The opposite is true.

It was Peter Gow who initially approached St George through Barry Pierce. The Sharks even mocked up a 'confidential poll' to try and say Saints supporters supported the merger, effectively showing that they were willing to lie to make it happen.

The proposed deal itself was pretty pathetic, but Saints officials, and also Illawarra officials, looked at it before sending Gow and his 'vision' on their way.

From Ian Heads' book, Saints: The Legend Lives On:
(Pages 283-285 - most relevant extracts)

Sometime in late November 1994, Warren Lockwood took a call from an old workmate - Cronulla official, later president, Barry Pierce. The Sharks wanted to talk "partnership" ...could that be arranged? Soon afterwards a highly confidential document arrived at the club - from Cronulla's controversial, high energy chairman, Peter Gow. It was headed "St George/Cronulla - The Future", outlining a scenario of league's "new future" and sharing "the following findings, many of which have been confirmed by a current (unnamed) NSWRL Director". The document postulated: "It may not be the ARL or (Kerry) Packer calling the shots, but NEWS LIMITED. There would be only four teams in Sydney. Whether we like it or not, or think it a good idea, it will happen. We cannot stop it," the document continued. "Therefore we must be pro-active in positioning ourselves so our individual clubs are appropriately represented." At some length, the document proposed a joint Sharks-Saints team. St George's Geoff Carr was to be CEO of the new club and on a day that Sharks marketing man Richard Fisk (representing Gow) met Lockwood for an informal talk, Carr lunched with Gow, who outlined his "vision". A confidential poll, conducted on behalf of Cronulla in early December, was announced to have revealed an overwhelming desire among St George supporters to merge with Cronulla rather than any other club, should Super League become a reality.

On January 16, 1995 Peter Gow came to the St George boardroom and presented his proposal. His theme was: "It's going to happen whether you like it or not - you might as well join us now and get in on the ground floor." Warren Lockwood recalled how the Sharks chairman had a jumper already "dollied up" for the new team. "It was mainly bloody blue," said Lockwood. "Imagine how that would have gone over." The new team was going to be called "The Gladiators".

...[Meeting with News Limited]...

Warren Lockwood recalls [David] Smith raising his voice in disagreement in the face of Gow's strident incidence that he should have the franchise for the "new club". Shortly afterwards it was suggested that Illawarra should be in the mix too. "News were pushing for it ... they were adamant that Illawarra couldn't stand alone," said Lockwood. In the car on his way back from the meeting, Lockwood rang Illawarra chairman Bob Elvy. Elvy was to say to Lockwood later: "I nearly fell over when you told me Gow was in the same car." Illawarra wanted no truck with Cronulla - but their representatives Elvy and Peter Newell came up for a preliminary meeting anyway, a small seminal moment considering the events to come several seasons later. The meeting was held late afternoon on Monday January 23, 1995 in the board room at Saints Leagues Club, involving Cronulla trio of Gow, Crowley and Pierce as well as the Illawarra officials - Plus News Limited representaitives David Smith and Robert Topfer. At the meeting, Smith was adamant that Illawarra could not go it alone. Their "spot" had gone to Adelaide. Join St George and Cronulla in a Southern franchise or be left out - that was the stark message.

Saints-Cronulla-Illawarra of course never happened, and was never going to. Warren Saunders: "To be honest there was never any chance of St George and Cronulla voluntarily getting together. Our board were adamant they wouldn't touch it ... wouldn't have anything to do with it."

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Why is it bad news mate?

I suspect the Sharks see Saints as their number 1 rival but for Saints they are about third on the pecking order. We have two bigger rivals in Canterbury and Souths, and those rivalries have been around for much longer.

possm

Coach
What about Dogs & West Tigers?
ANd Parra and taking over Campbelltown?
Souths and Rosters?
Along with Shark and Dragons?

Leading to second Brisbane team and Perth/Central Coast
  • I think you are right the Western Bulldogs - Dogs and West Tigers make a lot of sense to me.
  • Then you could have Balmain, Wests, Parramatta and Penrith as a joint venture. Maybe called ?
  • Easts, Souths and Newtown called Sydney City.
  • St George, Cronulla, Illawarra called St George Dragons.
  • North Sydney, Manly, and Central Coast called?