What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great News: Joey Agrees To Be The Messenger

This is great news for the code.

Joey agrees to be the Messenger
By Steve Mascord and Roy Masters
August 18, 2005

Andrew Johns last night said he would bring down the curtain on his representative career by accepting the role of Dally Messenger in a re-enactment of rugby league's first international tour.

In a gesture that would assure the 31-year-old's place in the game's history as the player of his generation, New Zealand Rugby League chairman Selwyn Pearson confirmed he wanted Johns to play on the Kiwis' 2007 tour of Great Britain. The trek marks the 100th anniversary of the pioneering All Golds, who took Messenger, the father of Australian rugby league, with them.

Johns is due to retire from representative football at the end of next year's Origin series, but said: "I would be honoured if invited to travel to Great Britain with the side in 2007.

"To think that, 100 years after rugby league's first international tour, they would pick me to fill such a historic role is absolutely incredible."

The 1907 "professional All Blacks", dubbed the All Golds by The Sydney Morning Herald because they were accepting money, introduced rugby league to Australia when they stopped here on the way to Britain.

Secretly assembled by promoter A. H. Baskiville and including four defecting All Blacks, they set up games with the internationally isolated Northern Union, which had broken away from English rugby union 12 years before.

League was born in Australia when a team was assembled to play against them en route. Messenger then joined the tourists and was such a phenomenon in England that he was offered association football contracts.

But he decided to return to Sydney, with his popularity ensuring the success of the new code when it kicked off here the following year.

Speaking after a lunch in Auckland to farewell France-bound Warriors great Stacey Jones, Pearson told the Herald: "I'd love Andrew to be available. It will depend where he is at in his career, I suppose.

"He would be absolutely perfect. At Stacey's luncheon today, they did a video link [with Johns]. It's not just Australians who love Joey; we do, too. Obviously we wished he was a New Zealander.

"We are talking 100 years ago with Dally Messenger - Joey Johns, he's right up there."

Johns's representative farewell was tipped to be in Origin III next year, to be held in the far-from-traditional environs of Melbourne's Telstra Dome.

He now has the opportunity to leave a more compelling final memory of his time in the game, one that will be remembered long after the controversy about whether he turns down an Australian jersey on October 15 this year is forgotten.

The idea of his touring with the 2007 Kiwis was first raised at an International Federation meeting in Leeds on November 14, 2003.

In other news, St George Illawarra prop Jason Ryles seems likely to pull out of Sunday's eagerly awaited encounter with Parramatta.

Ryles missed last weekend's triumph against Brisbane with a groin injury, and coach Nathan Brown last night said he would take a hard line on the Test prop's fitness for the Jubilee Stadium sell-out.

"Rylesy will have a fitness test later in the week and … if he's 99 per cent fit, he won't play," Brown said.

And Pearson said NRL chief executive David Gallop had told him there were significant problems with his proposal that Cronulla doctor Peter Malouf rule on the fitness of Kiwi Tri-Nations players, such as Sonny Bill Williams.

Gallop said: "Clubs will alway be reluctant to give up the right to decide if their players are fit, but there may be a role for a mediator of some sort."

Manly centre Steve Matai last night was found not guilty at the judiciary of a careless high tackle, while centre George Carmont (groin) is out of Newcastle's side to play the Warriors on Saturday night. Jarrod Mullen joins the Knights' squad.

Gold Coast have signed local boy Luke O'Dwyer back from Parramatta.

About 500 guests last night farewelled Cronulla prop Jason Stevens at a charity fund-raising dinner.

The Australian rugby league's team of the 1970s will be announced at another function tonight.

DIEHARD

----
I'd prefer a more structured international program for 2007, although it is still up in the air on what Australia will be doing.

I think if the All Golds tour goes ahead, Johns will be the perfect addition.

The Kiwis don't usually get as much media attention as the mighty Kangaroos, but Johns presence assures it.

I'm looking forward to it. I hope he stays fit, healthy and in form.

For once the Kiwis will have a classy and courageous halfback.

Nook

Bench
I reckon the All Golds tour and the inclusion of Johns is a fantastic move. I'm suprised that there many people seem to disagree.

Jono078

Referee
DIEHARD said:
I'd prefer a more structured international program for 2007, although it is still up in the air on what Australia will be doing.

I think if the All Golds tour goes ahead, Johns will be the perfect addition.

The Kiwis don't usually get as much media attention as the mighty Kangaroos, but Johns presence assures it.

I'm looking forward to it. I hope he stays fit, healthy and in form.

For once the Kiwis will have a classy and courageous halfback.

Sorry, but im not 100% understanding the article ? So this means Johns will play halfback for NZ and will verse AUS ? If so I think thats good, hopefully see who can be more dominating out of Lockyer and Johns :).

DIEHARD

----
jono078 said:
Sorry, but im not 100% understanding the article ? So this means Johns will play halfback for NZ and will verse AUS ? If so I think thats good, hopefully see who can be more dominating out of Lockyer and Johns :).

Didn't Messenger play against the All Golds and then toured with them?

If Johns isn't Australian halfback, would he play against the Kangaroos? I don't think so, it didn't happen with Messenger and I don't think it will happen with Johns.

This move will immortalize Johns.

perverse

Referee
jono078 said:
i thought that's what origin was for? :D
and yeah i think it's a great move, any opportunity to see the maestro play gets my approval.

griff

Bench
RL has a history of stupid ideas, but even amongst those what a stupid idea this one is.

RL lacks international credibility, so what do we have? An Australian playing for the New Zealand national team against the Great Britain national team. Absolutely ridiculous.

c_eagle

Juniors
griff said:
RL has a history of stupid ideas, but even amongst those what a stupid idea this one is.

RL lacks international credibility, so what do we have? An Australian playing for the New Zealand national team against the Great Britain national team. Absolutely ridiculous.
You don't quite get it, do you?

griff

Bench
of course I get it, doesn't mean I think it serves any purpose other than further damaging the credibility of international RL and giving Roy Masters wet dreams.

Dally Messenger went on tour to Great Britain with a professional team of rugby players in 1907.

But it aint 1907 anymore. The national representative team should consist of representatives of that nation.

A centenary tour of GB by NZ in 2007 is a fantastic move, and as you may know I have called in the past for a Centenary Kangaroo tour of GB in 2008, a Centenary match against the Maori in 2009, and a Centenary Lions Tour in 2010.

What does having an Australian in the team add that a Centenary All Golds Tour by a genuine NZ national team doesn't, except keeping a bona fide Kiwi out of their own national side?

yakstorm

First Grade
Whilst I personally don't think it should happen, I acctually hoenstly believe it will be huge boost to the tour, and get the NZ and UK press quite interested. Already Johns has almost quadripled Super League's national media coverage with his announcement to play with Warrington, imagine what his presence will do to a tour that has 100 years of history behind it.

This is the type of thing the media loves, hence why RULion tours get so much space, they have all this history behind it that makes people go, 'I want to be part of this'.

I honestly hope all the Nations bring out their old strips for the tournament, if we r recreating the All Golds tour, lets put Australia in the Blue and Maroon, NZ in an All Black jersey and Great Britain in the white jersey with the one red Vee.

griff

Bench
The "history" of the RU Lions tour is pretty dubious, but it is about perceptions and people do see at as a great and historic event. Replica jerseys would be a great idea - an all black Kiwis jumper would be a big seller.

As for a boost to the tour I think it would be, but probably only slightly. Celebrating 100 years of NZ touring Great Britain should be a big event in itself. Even if it does help that particular tour, we have to consider what making an exception for Johns does for the long term health of the international RL "brand".

It is critical that international RL needs to be seen as credible and authentic contests between proud and patriotic nations. The RUWC advertising was all about this - pictures of massive Samoan guys crying during the national anthem did wonders for perceptions of its credibility.

Johns standing there looking awkward during God Defend New Zealand isn't going to do that.

Sun_Down

Juniors
IMO it is brilliant. The exposure that the tour would get would be amazing, it would be a great way to celebrate 100 years aswell. Also, perfect way to send out Johns, making comparison to Dally Messenger. Granted, some may think this will take away creditability, but it is a good idea. But who knows, by 2007, the Kiwis may have a great half and want him instead just before the WC.

Jackal Dog

Juniors
They already have a ex-pat aussie in the side (Brent Webb) all this will accomplish is killing off what little credibility international RL has left.....

Jackal Dog

Juniors
Ok, so sorry, I really want to see Joey do the hakka and sing god save New Zealand great for the code internationally and a tremendous honour to Dally Messenger, happy?

Sun_Down

Juniors
Its a great honor for Joey and a great way to celebrate history, which is very important...wtf is the problem?

bender

Juniors
Leaving aside the credibility issues, if the kiwis are at full strenght with Johns at half back, would they be the favourites against Australia?

screeny

Bench
I am firmly in Griff's corner on this one. Int'l RL is viewed by many, both within as well as outside of the game, as a bit of a joke and what do we do, propose a gimicky showcase like this!

It can't go into the record books, it's a circus, a travelling circus.

We need established, official tests, not monkey manouevring like this.......I despair.