What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Sporting Venues

greeneyed

First Grade
There was an interesting discussion on great sporting venues in the world on 2UE Sports Today tonight. My views:

Madison Square Garden, New York: I went to see a normal Stanley Cup fixture involving the New York Rangers and Chicago. What an incredible atmosphere. The giant jerseys of the great basketball players and ice hockey players hung from the ceiling. The music in the build up extraordinary. A laser light show off the big mirror ball. Then all lights turned out. Suddenly an intense shaft of light came down over the ice while all the players swarmed onto the rink. It was my first and only ever ice hockey game live, but what a surprisingly emotional experience. The Americans really know how to stage a sporting event.

Wembly Stadium, London: I went to the first Rugby League Test, Australia v Gt Britain in 1994. It was ageing and the seating primitive, but with 80-90,000 Englishmen and a few Australians it was fantastic. What a moment when the two teams walked onto the field to the strains of Land of Hope and Glory. Not fair on us, but a real moment. Steve Renouf won us the match, as I recall, and the few Australians walked out singing "One Stevie Renouf, there's only one Stevie Renouf...." Now it is demolished....

SCG: I, my father and brother went to see the 1986 Rugby League Grand Final, Parra v Canterbury. I had been before, but when you walked in that day you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

Canberra Stadium: for a Raiders fan, what a great night, the opening of the then Bruce Stadium for rugby league. Raiders versus St George in the opening round of the 1990 season, with the Raiders returning to Canberra for the first time as Premiers. And we won!

Raider Ultra

Bench
The best I've been to are probably Real Madrid's home ground (the Bernabeu) and Barcelona's (Nou Camp) and I think Stadium Australia is a world class facility. I'm going to Old Trafford in about 6 weeks, so my opinion may change.

DJ Raida

Bench
All ive seen is this years GF and the international game between australia and turkey, they were fantastic- but i want more. Cant wait to go to england to watch some soccer.

the raiders final this year was also a fantastic expereince

Anonymous

Juniors
The Sydney Cricket Ground is and always be my favourite ground.

I'd love to go to some grounds like Lords, Eden Gardens, The Wanderers, Sabina Park....(Who wants to guess what my favourite sport is?)

greeneyed

First Grade
I have been to Lords in about 1992 or 1993. It was a good day, though it was the worst day of the Test - we won eventually.

thickos

First Grade
The Olympic Stadium at Homebush is incredible at capacity. I was at this year's GF and the roar that goes up when the teams come out is nothing short of spine-tingling. It is a nice change for league games when you struggle to hear the person next to you over the noise. Closing the ends in of that ground was the best thing they have done in terms of atmosphere.

The only other 'famous' venues I have been too are Lord's and the SCG, plus Munich's Olympic Stadium which is also quite impressive.

Canberra Stadium struggles for size but for a Sydney boy there is nothing like watching a league game amongst the home crowd.

GreenGuy

The MCG rocks at capacity during a ODI but even more so in a big AFL match ie. Carlton v Collingwood.

I would love to get to Old Trafford for a Man U. game one day.

greeneyed

First Grade
GreenGuy said:
The MCG rocks at capacity during a ODI but even more so in a big AFL match ie. Carlton v Collingwood.

I would love to get to Old Trafford for a Man U. game one day.

The Tri Nations Final will be at Old Trafford. I would love to go....

Raider Ultra

Bench
The tri-nations final is at Elland Road in Leeds. I'm going to Old Trafford in 6 weeks to see Man U play the mighty Palace, can't wait!

greeneyed

First Grade
Ah... you are right... it was originally going to be at Old Trafford... and it switched to Leeds.

hrundi99

First Grade
greeneyed said:
Madison Square Garden, New York: I went to see a normal Stanley Cup fixture involving the New York Rangers and Chicago. What an incredible atmosphere. The giant jerseys of the great basketball players and ice hockey players hung from the ceiling. The music in the build up extraordinary. A laser light show off the big mirror ball. Then all lights turned out. Suddenly an intense shaft of light came down over the ice while all the players swarmed onto the rink. It was my first and only ever ice hockey game live, but what a surprisingly emotional experience. The Americans really know how to stage a sporting event.

A couple of points... :twisted:

1. The NHL's head office is in Toronto, so thought leadership is essentially Canadian. ;-)

2. You ain't seen a hockey game until you've been to Air Canada Centre to watch the Leafs play a finals game. When people pay $30 for standing room tickets as the place is sold out (and you have to bend over for 150 mins to watch the game), you know you're getting a good show.

3. I'm sure it was a great time at the MSG but I bet it wasn't at capacity. If you go and see another NHL game in the future, promise me it'll be in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver (or Detroit).

Otherwise, you are totally correct. The relatively small size of the stadium (around 19,000 capacity) ensures you feel part of the action, and most of the fans are very passionate. The entertainment and DJ work is also very good.

greeneyed

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
greeneyed said:

A couple of points... :twisted:

1. The NHL's head office is in Toronto, so thought leadership is essentially Canadian. ;-)

2. You ain't seen a hockey game until you've been to Air Canada Centre to watch the Leafs play a finals game. When people pay $30 for standing room tickets as the place is sold out (and you have to bend over for 150 mins to watch the game), you know you're getting a good show.

3. I'm sure it was a great time at the MSG but I bet it wasn't at capacity. If you go and see another NHL game in the future, promise me it'll be in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver (or Detroit).

Otherwise, you are totally correct. The relatively small size of the stadium (around 19,000 capacity) ensures you feel part of the action, and most of the fans are very passionate. The entertainment and DJ work is also very good.

It was complete capacity. Great day. I was lucky to get tickets not high up.... friend of a friend.... And the game was great, even though I didn't really understand the rules. The half time entertainment was great, and the girl behind us won a trip to Hawaii for two as a result. There were 6 original teams and 5 of them were in the USA.... New York being one of them.....

hrundi99

First Grade
My non-NRL favourites...

1. SkyDome, Toronto - Final game of the 92/93 World Series, Blue Jays vs the Philadelphia Phillies. My Mum had to go back to Sydney as her sister was very ill with cancer. I was with my Dad in a company box (he basically gave his customers the finger so he and I could watch and enjoy the game together). The game was in the balance and I actually talked to the man upstairs and asked hm to let Joe Carter hit a homer for my Aunty. Next pitch he hit the series-winning homer and it landed about 10 metres under our box. I kid you not. I bawled my eyes out.

That's the first time I've ever told that story and now I'm :cry: :oops:

2. Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto - first NHL game after having moved to Canada, and it was the Western Conference finals game 5. The Leafs went down 2-0 early to the LA Kings but fought back to win the game 3-2 in overtime. I also saw about another 6 or 7 games there. You can't beat walking home from the hockey after a win and the beer coat in -30 temperatures.

3. Highbury, Arsenal - My in-laws are mad Arsenal supporters and we had tickets especially organised for us (a lot of grovelling by the family to Arsenal management) and we ended up with seats in the middle of a sea of red. Who were they playing? Newcastle of course, and Newcastle won. And I made it out alive. :)

4. Air Canada Centre, Toronto - The pinnacle of NHL stadiums (they played the recent World Cup final there) and an awesome place to see hockey. They have a great guided tour of the facilities and a phenomonal atmosphere (they sell out every game and there's a very long waiting list for season tickets; these things are handed down from generation to generation). I've seen 3 or 4 games there.