What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest Kangaroo Touring Party Ever Selected...

The squad is as follows...

Backs: Clive Churchill (captain), Darren Lockyer, Harold Horder, Brian Carlson, Ken Irvine, Eric Grothe, Dally Messenger, Dave Brown, Reg Gasnier, Graeme Langlands, Mal Meninga, Bob Fulton, Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling, Andrew Johns.

Forwards: Wally Prigg, John Raper, Frank Burge, George Treweek, Norm Provan, Ron Coote, Bob McCarthy, Ray Stehr, Duncan Hall, Noel Kelly, Arthur Beetson, Ian Walsh, Steve Walters.

I entered the competition on NRL.com 4 times...3 of my entrys had 23/28 and 1 of them had 24/28...So I'm waiting to see if I won anything :D

The only players selected that didn't show up on any of my 4 lists were Lockyer, Stehr & Grothe.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Parra_Eels said:
no fittler or daley or steve rogers!
jesus!

I sick of these old Farts taking the spots of players like the above.......did anyone see alot of them play noooooooo.....but let me guess??.......you heard they where good!!

The game is alot tougher know then ever.....more skill less Scrums!!

yappy

Bench
You're kidding, who would you leave out for Rogers? Brown, Messenger, Gasnier, Langlands or Meninga?

The only real rip off was Holman. Him being named as one of only two post war players to join the ARL Hall of Fame just shows it. Sterlo was a great half, but Yappy was the only choice for Australian half for a decade. 32 tests, and it wasn't because there was no one else capable of feeding a scrum playing the game during the 50's. Yappy was rorted! ;-)

Razor

Coach
I only put 1 entry in had 20/28

I missed out on Lockyer, Sterling, Burge, Treweeke, Hall, Walsh, Carlson, Kelly

I had Cronin, McKivat, Hey, Boyd, Roach, Elias, Sid Pearce, Kevin Ryan in their place

And ballboy why didn't you enter the competiton? If so you would have got equal 1st. In Big League today. The best person got 26 players correct. 5 Got 25 players right.

simon says

First Grade
I cant believe people keep picking Steve Walters in fornt of Benny Elais.Walters was good,but geez,Elias had the lot.I feel for him,but at least i know(im sure every Raider fan will disagree :roll: :roll: )

Walters is better than Elias fullstop. Not even debatable.

Damn I could of had 25 but I removed Treweek from one of my lists and replaced him with Burge when I should of had both. I also had Kenny, Daley, Vic Hey here and there..And I had Lazarus, Brian Davies & Bob O' Rielly solid on all of my lists and none got picked. I considered Lockyer, but I thought the panel would only choose 2 fullbacks being Churchill & Langlands. I heavily considered Grothe too, but again deicded to only choose 3 Wingers. I went with extra 5/8s who could play Centre instead. I should of entered the maximum 10 times damnitt.

simon says

First Grade
DaleyIsGod said:
Walters is better than Elias fullstop. Not even debatable.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great surprise there,a raider fan who thinks Walters was better than Elias,lol.I used to love watching Benny run rings around all three Walters boys who hated Benny with a passion.....and didnt Benny look good winning SOO games while they tried to bash him.

Elias.....daylight second............................................Walters.

Raider_69

Post Whore
and let me guess your a tigers fan?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

is common knowledge Walters owned Ellis.... simple as that, anyone and im sure even some tigers fasn know this

simon says

First Grade
Raider_69 said:

is common knowledge Walters owned Ellis.... simple as that, anyone and im sure even some tigers fasn know this

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Owned Benny :roll: :roll: ,watch the old SOO taped mate.Benny made Walters look stupid.Way too much skill,and way too clever.

Walters was a good player,ill admit,very strong and aggressive.But Benny changed the role of hooker.Before him hookers just distributed the ball,but he had the lot.Short and long kicks,dummy,rakes,cut outs,flick passes.He was brilliant and won the Tigers plenty of games.Opposition coaches knew how good he was,and vital to Balmain and would try to knock him out,many tried but he was a tough little sucker.

Now they play halves as hookers.

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
Raider_69 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Owned Benny :roll: :roll: ,watch the old SOO taped mate.Benny made Walters look stupid.Way too much skill,and way too clever.

Walters was a good player,ill admit,very strong and aggressive.But Benny changed the role of hooker.Before him hookers just distributed the ball,but he had the lot.Short and long kicks,dummy,rakes,cut outs,flick passes.He was brilliant and won the Tigers plenty of games.Opposition coaches knew how good he was,and vital to Balmain and would try to knock him out,many tried but he was a tough little sucker.

Now they play halves as hookers.

so you are a tigers fan....... give yourself an uppercut, walter was better than ellis as is shown by this prestigous selection.... handle it

Matt23

Staff member
Steve Walters was easily a better player then Benny Elias...not even close.

simon says

First Grade

so you are a tigers fan....... give yourself an uppercut, walter was better than ellis as is shown by this prestigous selection.... handle it[/quote]

I know who Id like to give an uppercut to. ;-)

You dont even have an argunment,did you ever see ELIAS(yes thats how you spell it not ELLIS)play,i dont think so,you sound about 13 with this owned stuff.

Id say ive forgotten more about footy than youll ever know.Stick to basketball and wearing your hat backwards mate. :lol: :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No Fittler?????

I was quite suprised Johns was picked over him, nearly every game Fittler played for the Kangaroos he was a standout. I know a lot of good games where he was outstanding:

1992 vs Great Britain, Brisbane
1993 Vs NZL, Brisbane
1994 vs Great Britain, Manchester
1995 WC semi vs NZL, Huddersfield
1995 WC final vs England, Wembley
1999 vs NZL, Sydney
1999 Vs Great Britain, Brisbane
1999 Vs NZL, Auckland
2000 Vs NZL, Sydney
2000 World Cup every game he played in, except Russia
2001 vs Great Britain, Bolton
2001 vs Great Britain, Wigan

there maybe more...............

Plus i remember the 1994 Kangaroo tour, where he, Meninga, Daley and Stuart had a great combination.

I know he probably didnt rate as much as the likes of Lewis, Churchill, Langlands and Fulton, but I you're gonna pick then surley Fittler must be there. If it weren't for Fittler, the Kangaroos wouldntve been that far.

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
Raider_69 said:
so you are a tigers fan....... give yourself an uppercut, walter was better than ellis as is shown by this prestigous selection.... handle it

I know who Id like to give an uppercut to. ;-)

You dont even have an argunment,did you ever see ELIAS(yes thats how you spell it not ELLIS)play,i dont think so,you sound about 13 with this owned stuff.

Id say ive forgotten more about footy than youll ever know.Stick to basketball and wearing your hat backwards mate. :lol: :lol:

first of all im 17, 2nd basketball is one if not the worst sport i have ever watched. 3rd i have watch quite a bit of benny elias and i know that he wasnt as good as walters, thats why walters was in the australian squad, when teams were acually picked on form

so answer the queation, who do you support? [/quote]

simon says

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
first of all im 17, 2nd basketball is one if not the worst sport i have ever watched. 3rd i have watch quite a bit of benny elias and i know that he wasnt as good as walters, thats why walters was in the australian squad, when teams were acually picked on form

so answer the queation, who do you support?
[/quote]Youve waqtched a lot of Elias eh.Funny that considering he retired in 92 when you were....what,6 years old,hahahahahahaha!!!!

The defense rests. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
Raider_69 said:

so answer the queation, who do you support?
Youve waqtched a lot of Elias eh.Funny that considering he retired in 92 when you were....what,6 years old,hahahahahahaha!!!!

The defense rests. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

point 1. you still are yet to answer my question, could that be because if you answer it will indicate that you are biast to elias because your a tigers fan?

point 2. i spent alot of time at my pops house when i was 13, he was a mad tigers fan (rufuses to support the wests tigers) and he had about 100 odd games of the tigers on tape, now there isnt all that much to do out at my pops house so i watched most of those games...... including several origins and tests..... elias although a good player wasnt not at the level that walters was