What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*GreenGuy's Gob*

GreenGuy

This will be my wekly post after each game we play, summing up my thoughts on what happened, and what needs to happen if we are going to improve. I need a name for my piece- i'm thinking something along the lines of GreenGuy's Gob? I'll go with that this week...

Todays game:

Attack

The game plan for our attack was either not followed or was a crap one. Offloading whenever we had a chance caused errors and led to a 60% completion rate.

The forwards laid a decent platform with everyone contributing except for Thompson, who should be a benchie at best, and Tongue. He was useless today, a waste of a bench spot.

The backs did a good job of relieving pressure on the big men with Schif gaining 200+ metres being the best of them.

Defence

Right from the word go we focused on gang tackling. It worked for a while, especially the first 10 minutes of each half, but it multiplied the fatigue factor towards the back end of the first half especially. It was only our first serious hit out so we can put it down to that, although it could cost us if it's still happening later on in the season against more potent attacks.

Withers was superb in defence, he plays well above his weight in that area. Also, we saved some blushes with the wide men running out of the line quickly to avoid line breaks, but this could become very risky as the season wears on.

Also, Frawley snuffed out a few chances that could have become trys for the Knights and i thought that deserved a mention.

The Halves

When the halves took control we seemed to be patchy and set moves like inside balls need to be practised a bit more in training.

Lincoln may have played well with plenty of enthusiasm, but he is not the organiser we need in the 7. Eventually the load on Jason Smith's shoulders is going to be too heavy, and Carney will have to start games.

Smith proved his worth as the leader by instructing players on what needed to be done ie. After his try. He seemed to know what he was doing by gliding around the field and popping passes but as i said, it needs to be rehearsed a bit more to work.

Overall

6/10

A very patchy performance, but considering we had the bye in round 1 it gets a pass mark. After all, a win is a win.

Next Week

9 days to wait until our next game against Souths. Rothery can't be dropped after today and Hodgo has to be there somewhere. Hindmarsh may get a bench spot, hopefully in place of Tongue. If Elliott is going to live up to what he said, he's going to have to bite the bullet and pick the team on form. (I don't expect him to)

My line up for next week:

1. Clinton Schifofske
2. Phil Graham
3. Craig Frawley
4. Adam Mogg
5. David Howell
6. Jason Smith
7. Lincoln Withers
8. Ryan O'Hara
9. Simon Woolford
10. Michael Hodgson
11. Matt Adamson
12. Alan Rothery
13. Jason Croker

14. Michael Weyman
15. Josh Miller
16. Ian Hindmarsh
17. Todd Carney

That's GreenGuy's Gob, cheers ;-)

raidersfan

Juniors
I thought our attack was good. we actually looked dangerous and we actually played some entertaining footy, tries from kicks etc. Last year the only way we got trys was from sloppy directionless passing and running.

GreenGuy

Most of our tries came from Knights mistakes. It would have been great to see if we were capable of putting on a decent last tackle play but our tries from kicks were more flukey than tactical.

raidersfan

Juniors
Still the knights attack tonight reminded me of how the raiders played last year. We look 10 times better than 2004. I'm excited. Plus are most tries etc half flukes anyway??

Kris_man

Bench
i'll agree with GreenGuy here, i think we need more fluency in attack. i think it can almost exclusively be attributed to ball-hogging and bad tactics. i don't know why we do all this one-out stuff with the forwards we've got. we only just managed to contain the Knights forward pack, i dare say that had we come up against one of the better teams, we would have got well wnd truly rolled. the ball has to be given out more, particularly by our fullback and by our backrowers, and we have to stop basing our attack around our forwards.

if Thompson and Tongue are the ones who drop out of the team next week for Hindy and co, i'll be very pleased.

GreenGuy

Thanks for the support Kris_man. It's still early days and i'm not convinced of our attacking display yet. I said it before and i'll say it again, Tongue wastes up a bench spot. Sometimes enthusiasm isn't enough for a 1st grader- actually almost 100% of the time enthusiasm alone shouldn't get you there.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I disagree with you on that tongue comment hes a hard working player who does alot of good defence work across the feild

Raider_69

Post Whore
One thing ive always said is that its often the 1 percenters thats wins footy games, jumping on lose balls, making that desperate tackle etc, tongue is our 1% king and i think he is a strong reason we won alot of our close games in 03 whilst in 04 we often went down

GreenGuy

Well if that changes in '05 remains to be seen. The question is, what value does having Tongue on the bench hold ahead of having a Miller or a Carney?

brenno

Juniors
Tongue's abit of liability imo. He's strong and a great worker but, he's undersized and has no real skills or a true position. He's kind of like Rod Jensen just without the speed or utility value. Every club should have someone like him but, he should only receive limited game time at best. I've heard Hindmarsh may be out for a couple of weeks at least. I'd stick with pretty much the same team. Although, i would probably drop Tongue off the bench.

thickos

First Grade
Nice read Greenguy, well done :clap:

For the life of me Tongue looks smaller and leaner. Why would he do this besides losing muscle mass with his injury layoff? If anything he needs to pack on the kilos. I know he tackles above his weight, but a good big guy normally beats a good little guy.

Anyone else think he is smaller in 2005?

Besides that, considering it was first game of the year, we scored 6 tries (YAY!) and defended pretty well... i'm ecstatic with the start.

Now to build some momentum.

Panjabi

Juniors
Thompson:
Tackles: 31 (Top)
Hitups: 16 (Second behind Schifoske)

Warrants his selection next week.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
lol 5.5 is pathetic...

Tounge is ok but i really would prefer if he was dropped..he doesnt do enough in my mind and is way to small to play in the forwards...this year everyone has size and speed..personally i dont think tounge fits into any of these.

legend

Coach
Rhino looks enormous to me and if Croker and Hodgson are back, then Tongue and Thommo make way.

What's happened to Terry Martin?

Raider_69

Post Whore
From NRL.com

O'Hara: 15 Hit ups for 128 metres @ an average of 8.53m per hit up
Tompson: 17 Hit ups for 82 metres @ an average of 4.82m per hit up
Adamson: 9 Hit ups for 75 metres @ an average of 8.33m per hit up
Weyman: 12 Hit ups for 113 metres @ an average of 9.41m per hit up
Kahler: 13 Hit ups for 81 metres @ an average of 6.23m per hit up
Tongue: 6 Hit ups for 42 metres @ an average of 7.00m per hit up
Miller: 8 Hit ups for 85 metres @ an average of 10.62m per hit up
Rothery: 7 Hit ups for 57 metres @ an average of 8.14m per hit up

Bolded are my stand out stats, obvisously stand out for different reasons

thickos

First Grade
legend said:
Rhino looks enormous to me and if Croker and Hodgson are back, then Tongue and Thommo make way.

What's happened to Terry Martin?

Terry's done his shoulder...not sure when he will be back.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Raider Ultra said:
I thought Josh Miller has been overlooked a bit, I thought he had a top game. Definetly has to play next week.

totally agree
he carved it up, he, adamson, weyman and ohara were all tops IMO

Latest posts