What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird - $500 000 for 3 years

Just been told from a good source that the sharks are going to offer Bird a new contract for the nct 3 yrs worth $500 000

What does everyone think about this, i dont even think its enough, hes playing better than 150 odd a year

what u rekon?

mr_sharks

Juniors
Just been told from a good source that the sharks are going to offer Bird a new contract for the nct 3 yrs worth $500 000
What does everyone think about this, i dont even think its enough, hes playing better than 150 odd a year
what u rekon?

The good source being the Daily Telegraph!!?:lol: :lol:
You're right he is worth more than 150 per year, it works out to be closer to 170 if you do the maths.

The Dodger

First Grade

what u rekon?

would this source be the telegraph?

Shark

Bench
It's fair if he pulls his head in, keeps playing well and stops being a prat.

Certainly not stupid money, but I reckon $150K a year is getting too high for a kid like him. We'd have kept him for $120-140K per year no probs I reckon.

He should e way over 200 a year.

hes got talent and he'll be in that 13 for some time to come.

hes strong, can offload(only lately), can step and hes not bad looking either!

SirShire

First Grade
What is it with people still obsessed with the Birdie 'problem child' image?

FFS he is one of the friendliest blokes in the team (after Big Reece), I've seen him out alot this year, and this season he has been a great ambassador for the club in this respect.

He's lost the fuggwit image, he's doing his job. Lets not forget that he wasn't the one who:
* punched a woman out
* pizzed on the wall of a night club

SirShire said:
What is it with people still obsessed with the Birdie 'problem child' image?

FFS he is one of the friendliest blokes in the team (after Big Reece), I've seen him out alot this year, and this season he has been a great ambassador for the club in this respect.

He's lost the fuggwit image, he's doing his job. Lets not forget that he wasn't the one who:
* punched a woman out
* pizzed on the wall of a night club

yeh good points

hes definately lost his bad toouch.

Reminds of that song by the blood hund gang

SirShire

First Grade
And FTR, how is 150k NOT a steal!!!

I thought that given his last month of footy, he'd be driving the price up to around ~180k per season. 500k looks the goods for 3 years service, lets hope he keeps up the good work, obviously captaincy is the big motivator now, not the coin.

It looks like a steal of a contract considering that myth Galloway is on a $219k salary.

ghoti

Bench
I think a $500 000 deal is far too much. He's playing very good at the moment, but he's replaceable. I'd have Williams in there ahead of him and he probably would be if he wasn't versatile enough to play at prop when he comes off the bench.

I really do hope we re-sign him, I think it's important for the club to keep him...but 170k a year is a bit much...that's how much Thommo should be on, and he's leagues ahead of Bird in all facets of his game.

I agree that we should be trying to keep him, but at $170k a season him and his manager are playing us for fools.

Back to my original point:

The bloke would stay for $100K a year, considering all the other lifestyle benefits he enjoys of living in Cronulla, so why pay more?

I know you claim to be Russian but this isnt a communist country and it's pretty f**king simple to understand market economics, you daft spud.

As for the players, why would you talk to them if they dont know who you are?

Send this dumb merkin to the gulag.

Inferno

Coach
I don't think he would have stayed for 100k King.

I'd be guessing Thommo would be on a lot more than 170 - 180 as well. Souths would probably offer him closer to 300.

Special K

Coach
I don't think it is overs. To get him to sign his next 3 years away you have to put a bump in the price from what he'd want for two years. Bailey is worth 220k. We are losing Bails as a 2nd rower and sticking Bird in there for a cheaper price. I don't have a problem with it.

I think a young player like Bird with 61 first grade games would demand 170 a season on the open market. You have to cough up the money or you'll lose the talent, you have to pay what the market value is. I hate using other players as bench marks but look at the figures Aaron Cannings is on at Parramatta, Galloway at the tigers and Mapp with us. Bird is cheaper and better then all of the above.

Since 73

First Grade
I'm seldom wrong, so I'll go out on a limb here.
We should have let the bloke go and spent that $170,000 elsewhere.
let Covell go and vags and throw the lot at Lyons perhaps.
He will win you more games than Bird. One on one with his opposite is all you need.

I'll go further out on the limb. Within 12 months Bird is playing PL.
And the forum is awash with, "Why did we sign him?" posts.