What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird - $500 000 for 3 years

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Sutho_Sharks said:
We paid about the right price.... certainly not more than he's worth. Off current form at least, its a bargain

Is it? How much would you have offered? Just interested.

sharkadelic

Juniors
I reckon he is probably worth about $125 a season with perhaps a bonus element written in if he has no more lengthy suspensions over the 3 years - say 6 weeks in total over the 3 years another $50,000.

I have never been a Bird fan but the kid is producing the goods and really seems to have worked his sh*t out. I think Thompson, especially with Bails leaving becomes invaluable at teaching this young guy with his experience and competitiveness much like BK at Manly. Through in Weirdo and Gallen and we look very good.

Sutho_Sharks

Juniors
Is it? How much would you have offered? Just interested.

Well lets not take my post out of context.... I said we paid the right price, so therefore the clubs decision would be the same as mine :sarcasm:

HOWEVER, if you were for some ridiculous reason base it SOLELY off his current form, I would pay around $200,000 p.a.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
I'm glad you're not in charge of the $$ then. We'd never stay under the cap.

If you had Bird on $200k what about Gallen, Thompson, Douglas, Williams, Kingston etc

Remember we have Noddy on $500k and Ross on $400k

Vicious

Bench
I`d be very surprised if Greg Bird isn`t offered in the vicinity of $250,000 per season elsewhere ??? He`s an emerging Green & Gold back rower in my opinion.

imasharkie

Coach
Surely said:
we have had the best centre pairing in the comp during a couple of periods in the past and never got the prize.

What makes u think tonga and webster could do it !

Yes we have but not the forward power to match our brilliant backs.

Isn't it a coincidence that when we have a great forward pack we don't have the backs to take advantage of them.
Then we have a brilliant and speedy backline and a forward pack which didn't compliment them.
So how good would it be to have both?

Jimbo

Immortal
Noddy is on a five year deal worth $1.5 million

During 2003 and 2004 we were under the cap, so the club paid him more to free up cash in 2005/06/07

He is not on $500k per year

Inferno

Coach
He knocked back 560 000 with the northern Eagles back in the day.

I seriously doubt he would have signed for anything less than 400 - 450k.

White Poiner

Coach
That would play a part.. But he was a current Aus player at the time.
I think.

He would of had enough money offered.

Jimbo

Immortal
Inferno said:
He knocked back 560 000 with the northern Eagles back in the day.

I seriously doubt he would have signed for anything less than 400 - 450k.

He was looking for a long-term deal and a fresh start

Kimmorley is not as greedy as his press-created reputation suggests

Special K

Coach
year 1 he signed for peanuts - 2002

he re-signed for 2003 on big bickies to make up for 2002 [and he did so on like boxing day 2002 as he had to wait for his old managers contract to end so most clubs had their books tied up for 2003 - clearly he came to terms with our club before hand just hadn't made it offical]. I didn't know it went down with the years. All I know is 2003 was loaded big - hence we had no backline!

Latest posts