What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird charged with violent attack

If charges are dropped against Bird, should he return immediately?

• Yes

Votes: 85 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 77 46.1%
  • I don't know/maybe/depends, ie. I'm too weak to have an opinion

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Q

Coach
OK? He brings an alternate and informed way at looking at the bird saga based on the innocent until proven guilty notion. He has broken no rules and is entitled to frequent this forum without being virtually directed to 'f**k off'. As I understand it this is not an exclusive club marked members only .

Thanks, I did think about abandoning the thread because people were being unkind to me, but I hardened up.

millersnose

Post Whore
with due respect dave although i will champion your right to post on topic in these threads all you seem to do is post the same thing over and over again

i think we all understand your view on this now and it is quite unnecxeesary to reiterate that view 4 times a day ...for f**king WEEKS!!!!!!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
with due respect dave although i will champion your right to post on topic in these threads all you seem to do is post the same thing over and over again

i think we all understand your view on this now and it is quite unnecxeesary to reiterate that view 4 times a day ...for f**king WEEKS!!!!!!
but if someone wants to challange his views does not have the right to reply?

Dave Q

Coach

No, thats not true, Ive brought in stuff from the wider media, other threads, law, philosophy, posted photos. Ive addressed different side issues, tried to have a few laffs and generally stuck to this thread.

Gunna would know that when Wes was having troubles at Dragons, I was visiting there too. Not to the same extent mid you, because my blood lines are Blue Black and Grey whether I like it or not. I am from the shire. Thus I feel obliged to take a bit of an extra interest in the sharks more than other sides, and Im comfortable with that.

Maybe you havent been reading the stuff so closely. Thats Ok and thats your prerogative nosey but you dont have to go the extra yard the wrong way.

This year Sharks LU has been a lot more cosmopolitan in getting more visitors and I am part of that and I think thats a good thing.

Some people may not like the fact that I want to see him in the side mainly for reasons other than contributing to the success of the sharks or furthering their interests. Im still on the same path, I just have different reasons for travelling with a the "Co-alition of the willing." ( those who want Bird to play) I understand that makes me a bit mercenary, but I'm just being honest.

Anyway, maybe we are getting off-topic.

Unless it was an accident, a plea bargain is on the cards. Thats my bet.

Last edited:
Cosmopolitan mercenary member of the coalition of the willing?

Have I missed something in my hiatus? The language around here sure has changed. It's a little flowery.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
todays leader. another story in the sports section

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...-alert-waiting-to-hear-from-bird/1280234.aspx

Sharks are still on the alert `Waiting to hear' from Bird
BY GARETH BETHELL
23/09/2008 2:27:00 PM
THE Cronulla Sharks are still waiting to hear Greg Bird's version of what happened in his Cronulla apartment when his girlfriend Kathryn Milligan was allegedly hit in the face with a glass.
Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia is sticking to the club's decision to suspend the five-eighth because, he said, Bird hadn't told the club what had happened early on August 24.
``Greg needs to tell the club what occurred and he still refuses to do so,'' Mr Zappia said.
There is at present no change in the situation, but Mr Zappia refused to rule out Bird playing again this season.
``From a club point of view the club can't review the decision [to stand Bird down] unless Greg advises the club what occurred,'' he said.
He said he had asked the player three times to outline the events.
Police rejected suggestions Sharks fans had been lobbying them to drop the charges.
Miranda police said they had not received any calls from supporters.
Ms Milligan has refused to give a statement to police, saying what happened was a personal matter.
Last week she failed in a court bid for the lifting of an apprehended violence order preventing Bird from approaching her.
Ms Milligan said that she still loved him.
``I'm behind him 100 percent,'' she said outside the court.
Bird has been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Ms Milligan.
In court last month, police alleged that broken glass was found in Bird's bed.
They said neighbours had reported hearing the couple arguing.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/l HYPERLINK l

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/l HYPERLINK l

javascript:changeFontSize('story',1);HYPERLINKjavascript:changeFontSize('story',1);

javascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);HYPERLINKjavascript:changeFontSize('story',-1);

Dave Q

Coach
todays leader. another story in the sports section

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...-alert-waiting-to-hear-from-bird/1280234.aspx

Sharks are still on the alert `Waiting to hear' from Bird
BY GARETH BETHELL
23/09/2008 2:27:00 PM
THE Cronulla Sharks are still waiting to hear Greg Bird's version of what happened in his Cronulla apartment when his girlfriend Kathryn Milligan was allegedly hit in the face with a glass.
Cronulla chief executive Tony Zappia is sticking to the club's decision to suspend the five-eighth because, he said, Bird hadn't told the club what had happened early on August 24.
``Greg needs to tell the club what occurred and he still refuses to do so,'' Mr Zappia said.
There is at present no change in the situation, but Mr Zappia refused to rule out Bird playing again this season.
``From a club point of view the club can't review the decision [to stand Bird down] unless Greg advises the club what occurred,'' he said.
He said he had asked the player three times to outline the events.
Police rejected suggestions Sharks fans had been lobbying them to drop the charges.
Miranda police said they had not received any calls from supporters.
Ms Milligan has refused to give a statement to police, saying what happened was a personal matter.
Last week she failed in a court bid for the lifting of an apprehended violence order preventing Bird from approaching her.
Ms Milligan said that she still loved him.
``I'm behind him 100 percent,'' she said outside the court.
Bird has been charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on Ms Milligan.
In court last month, police alleged that broken glass was found in Bird's bed.
They said neighbours had reported hearing the couple arguing.

The club have no legal right to force Bird to make a statement to them, unless perhaps its in his contract with them.

This case might set a new precedent for a new clause in player contracts:

234.2 Within 3 days of being requested, and to the clubs satisfaction as determined by them, the player agrees that he shall do all such things and acts as required by the club to explain and account for, in written or verbal form, any conduct of the player that gives rise to criminal charges.

Although I feel confident that conduct clauses exist anyway.

lol fans ringing the cops, is this suggesting that the charges are some kind of popularity contest?

The cops think they have a case, they dont usually back down without a fight because someone has authorised and backed the charges and their reputation is on the line.

Im still trying to figure out what they will do with a reluctant victim and no other witnesses.

I suppose they subpoeana her, get her on the stand, wait for a few "wrong" answers, declare her hostile and go for the throat.

It wouldnt surprise me if the cop's silks are writing the cross examination questions.

Having an alleged victim change their tune.... probably happens.... every day.

The sharks can stand down from their alert!

Last edited:

spider

Coach
The club have no legal right to force Bird to make a statement to them
and im sure they have not forced him to do so

but he is the one claiming to be innocent yet keeps the cards close to his chest while waiting for the case to fold without stating the 'truth'

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Having an alleged victim change their tune.... probably happens.... every day.
I don't think she's sung a tune yet. she's a smart bird.

You see people should not misinterpret defending your right to silence as obstructing justice because any statement you do make may be misinterpreted.

Dave you would agree that the police will be directed to serve a full copy of their brief of evidence at some future date. Is it not therefore fair that bird makes no comment, especially on legal advice, until that evidence is examined by his counsel?

Inferno

Coach
The club have no legal right to force Bird to make a statement to them

No one is forcing him to do anything, but surely you can understand the club's position wanting to know the full story before considering selecting him.

Personally I'd think the board/ceo was an incompetent fool, if they were willing to select a player embroiled in some sort of controversy if the player refused to co-operate and let the club know what the situation was.

It is not like Bird can do much about the Clubs stance anyway. He has not been financially disadvantaged by the Clubs decision as he remains on full pay under his contract.

The only point I was making Reefy is that they are paying him, so that would make it near impossible for him to sue the club. We all know he would rather be on the field and being paid.

Actually it is also a positive,as it shows the club is wanting to maintain the contract in tact. That would suggest they want to keep him with the club

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
part of that contract is allowing him to play.
Either way, they are up for 1.4 million if they play him or not & our cap is in the negative of the same amount.
I have been thinking what would happen if Bird went & played Union in France, if he would be able to use match fitness as a reason &then receive payments from both.
Could be a nice little earn for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.