What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Bird

macavity

Referee
Bird is understood to want to be close to his family in Maitland

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...bird-with-strings-attached-20091125-jrus.html

If he wants to be close to his family... we keep him on a very short choke chain and we have a premiership halves pairing.... :-k

He may be a bit of a tool, but he isn't a criminal tool, at least according to a Court of Law.

Cue TJS saying "no way in hell"

Hell, he can live at Telarah to complete the cycle. I am sure his Mrs will love it there....

All I will say is you can take the boy out of Maitland.....

roopy

Referee
As a person he is no better and no worse than Wes Naiquama.
As a footy player, he would equal Kurt as our best.
As a fit for our team, he is the experienced half we need.

He has always been prone to do stupid things when he drinks, but he seems OK otherwise.
I think what says it all is his time at Hunter Sports High - as a sober young man he was he was school captain and a role model for other kids, but in five drunken minutes he nearly got expelled and left in disgrace.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
There is no way we would have the cash to afford him
No one has the salary cap left to give him a big contract this year.
It would have to be a three year contract, with him getting Ben Rogers and at least one other players money for the next two seasons - we basically need to lose two players to make way for him.

antonius

Coach
One of the biggest mistakes the Knights made was letting him go in the first place, he was one of our most promising juniors. I recall the uproar at the time. Who knows how he would've turned out had he stayed here.

Yosh

Coach
Is he a halfback? Not really... We already have a genuine 5/8th in our ranks we need a good halfback.

Would I take him as a fan/coach/management, without a shadow of a doubt. Put him anywhere in our 13 I am a forgiving man.

So can he play halfback or not really?

roopy

Referee
Is he a halfback? Not really... We already have a genuine 5/8th in our ranks we need a good halfback.

Would I take him as a fan/coach/management, without a shadow of a doubt. Put him anywhere in our 13 I am a forgiving man.

So can he play halfback or not really?
He is basically Ben Rogers - only twice as good, younger, and a local.

jb2

Juniors
There is no way we would have the cash to afford him

Not only that, the Knights seem to have a real issue signing name players for whatever reason.
I think there would be far more chance of seeing Paris Hilton on the cheersquad ( drool ) than Greg Bird signing up.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'd love to see it happen, but our club's geniused management won't allow it to happen. Another season of mediocrity for us.

Assah!

Yosh

Coach
jb2 how did you come up with Paris Hilton? There are at least 2.4 billion women who I could name who are much hotter than Paris Hilton seroiusly...

Hmm... Does he really help out the halves problem? Even if he is better than Rogers?

Pumba

First Grade
I'd love to see it happen, but our club's geniused management won't allow it to happen. Another season of mediocrity for us.

Assah!

The Knights are not interested in luring their former junior back to the club.

The Newcastle-born West Maitland product played three seasons in the Knights' Harold Matthews, SG Ball and Jersey Flegg junior representative teams before Cronulla signed him at the end of 2001.

"We don't have any room under our salary cap, and we don't have a position for him on our roster, realistically," Knights football operations manager Warren Smiles said.

It is understood the Knights would not want Bird even if they had a position available because of his controversial reputation, but neither Smiles nor Knights chief executive Steve Burraston would comment when that was put to them. Bird was last night celebrating the court decision at a private party in Sydney but is expected to want to finalise his future quickly after being in limbo since being stood down by the Sharks when charged in August last year and agreeing to a release earlier this year.

To rejoin the NRL, Bird would have to accept a significant drop in his $400,000- a-season deal with Catalans.

Herald

mozza91

Coach
Overpaid,overrated and not needed.
He was a very good lock but pretty average at 5/8 he played one good Origin but was pretty poor in the halves most of the time.

Yosh

Coach
Kinda agree with Mozza... He is aight I guess but nothing spec... If he was a halfback of that kind of quality yeah sure but we already have Mullen...

Burwood

Bench
He has always been prone to do stupid things when he drinks, but he seems OK otherwise.
I think what says it all is his time at Hunter Sports High - as a sober young man he was he was school captain and a role model for other kids, but in five drunken minutes he nearly got expelled and left in disgrace.

I've lost count of the amount of dog acts he's committed on the footy field- his problems aren't only caused by alcohol.

I think the guy is just a genuine dickhead, and one the club is better off not having on the roster.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Simpson hasn't been 'very good' for a few years now. Zeb and Sau remain to be seen. They were good last year, but not the kind of players opposition fans trembled over. If they can do it again this year, maybe.

Latest posts