What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg 'Brandy' Alexander. How good was he?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
parra_panther said:
I would be interested in reading how Warriors fans rated him in his two seasons over there in the mid 90's. That 1995 side had some awesome talent in it.

Unfortunately for us he never really performed at the same level as he did for Penrith when he crossed the ditch, although considering that he made the move pretty much right after the death of his brother makes that a bit more understandable. I wouldn't rate him as a great Warrior, although looking at his career as a whole he was still a great player.

Caged Panther said:
Alexander by the length of the straight when it comes to him vs gower. Though gower is alot Tougher. .
Agree with all the positive comments about Brandy. Strength in the end let him down when it came to rep matches.

fridge

he had killer instincts, and a deadly step. could always seem to sense where players were around him.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Kelly Patrol said:
Brandy was a competent little player but by no means an Alfie Langer.

Typical Queensland one eyed opinion. Brandy was a phenominal athlete, one of the best I have ever seen, maybe not in Langers class but could easily turn a match in the blink of an eye..

Fibroman

First Grade
On his day, he was the most gifted attacking player that I have ever seen.

He tended to be a bit hot and cold at times, but all players have the odd quiet game.

IMO his greatest attributes were his ability to make time and room for himself (similar to Wally Lewis and Andrew Johns) and his incredible acceleration. His running style and pace was not unlike Rhys Wesser. A sniff of a gap in the opposition line, and Brandy was through it in a heart beat.

Having Sterling, Mortimer and Stuart around at the time hurt his rep career. The fact that rep selectors often seem to stick with the incumbant player ultimately adds up to plain old bad luck for people like Brandy. Not unlike Luke Priddis at the moment who cant get a start due to Buderus.

If I had to be critical of any aspect of his game, it would have been his one on one defence. He wasn't as chunky in build like your Johns, Gower's or Stuart's and struggled a bit with big forwards running at him. For that reason, Gould used to play him in the 2nd line of defence, and I must say, his cover defence was nothing short of sensational.

It would take a brave person to say that he is Penrith's best ever, all the time the name Fittler remains in the history books. Brandy was the most responsible for taking us from chocolate soldiers to premiers.

The tragic death of his brother cut his time short at Penrith and generally hurt his career. He still played some great footy over in NZ, but he wasn't the Brandy of old.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
juggalo_strit said:
Would easily be in my top 5 of the last 10 years for halfback

Mate, Kimmorley has accomplished more and will go down as a better player.

1. Andrew Johns
2. Allan Langer
3. Stacey Jones
4. Ricky Stuart
5. Brett Kimmorley

He ain't going to get in above any of them.

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
Mate, Kimmorley has accomplished more and will go down as a better player.

1. Andrew Johns
2. Allan Langer
3. Stacey Jones
4. Ricky Stuart
5. Brett Kimmorley

He ain't going to get in above any of them.

HA HA HA HA Stacey Jones???? Brett Kimmorley???? Ahead of Alexander???????? wotcha smokin:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Green Machine

First Grade
Greg Alexander was one of those highly talented players who did not go on to fulfil his full potential. In the 80’s, there were a few other highly skilled half’s like Brandy in the game. Phil Blake was one who comes to mind. Phil Blake in 1983 was devastating. He ended up on the wing for Manly(when Des Hasler from Penrith joined Manly), though he did rediscover most of his brilliance behind a monster Souths pack in the second half of the 80’s. For a while a Penrith, Brandy played fullback. Laurie Spina was another but he started with a bang and fizzled out. Wayne Bennett wanted to pick Laurie ahead of Allan Langer for QLD. Steve Morris was lightning fast as well and rediscovered himself on the wing.
In the 80’s, the two top halfbacks were Sterling and Mortimer. Sterling was more of an organising halfback and played behind a small pack of forwards. Sterling was a grinding halfback that organised his forwards and didn’t mind tackling. Mortimer was a flashy halfback who liked to chip and chase and play out of the defensive line and also was an excellent cover defender. Mortimer became a tougher player towards the end of his career. In 1984, Mortimer became a tough bugger.
Don’t get me wrong about Brandy, I think he achieved a lot, but could not get ahead of Sterling, Mortimer, Mark Murray, Allan Langer and then Ricky Stuart for Australian selection. I don’t think he was as mentally tough as Mortimer and Sterling, though that is nothing to be ashamed of. The game I thought Brandy would have stamped his own mark would have been State of Origin II in 1989. He had a good first half, QLD suffered a lot of injuries with Langer carted off with broken leg, but Lewis will be forever remembered as one of his finest games. Under 5m organised defence in the 80’s, holes and opportunities were hard to come by. Players like Brake and Brandy would be devastating in the No.9 jersey in today’s game with their devastating running and kicking skills,

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Green Machine said:
Don’t get me wrong about Brandy, I think he achieved a lot, but could not get ahead of Sterling, Mortimer, Mark Murray, Allan Langer and then Ricky Stuart for Australian selection.

Mark Murray??? Don't think Murray was playing when Brandy was around. Mark Murray only played for Australia as a result of State politics. Geez he was an ordinary footballer.

Green Machine

First Grade
Cockadoodledoo said:
Mark Murray??? Don't think Murray was playing when Brandy was around. Mark Murray only played for Australia as a result of State politics. Geez he was an ordinary footballer.

If you don’t think Mark Murray was playing in the 80’s you should do a bit of research before you go off half cocked, c**k. Alexander started in first grade in 1984. Mark Murray played three tests in 1984. In 1985, Murray played two Tests. Murray played State of Origin up to and including 1986. He wasn’t a flashy player, but he earned his spot. My point c**k, in mentioning Murray was with Sterling and Mortimer (the regular halfbacks), they were chosen to play halfback for Australia before Langer and Stuart came along, c**k. For Brandy to play for NSW c**k, he would have had to get in front of Sterling and Mortimer,

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Green Machine said:
If you don’t think Mark Murray was playing in the 80’s you should do a bit of research before you go off half cocked, c**k. Alexander started in first grade in 1984. Mark Murray played three tests in 1984. In 1985, Murray played two Tests. Murray played State of Origin up to and including 1986. He wasn’t a flashy player, but he earned his spot. My point c**k, in mentioning Murray was with Sterling and Mortimer (the regular halfbacks), they were chosen to play halfback for Australia before Langer and Stuart came along, c**k. For Brandy to play for NSW c**k, he would have had to get in front of Sterling and Mortimer,

How old was Alexander in 1984? He was know where near his best back then.. Brandy's peak was in the late 80's, early 90's.. Bit of a stretch to imply he was not good enough to displace Murrat. Murray DID NOT EARN HIS SPOT. He was ordinary and well behind Mortimer, Sterling and a number of other halves. Interstate politics got him the job. Nothing else..

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
dontmakemeangry said:
Murray=Finch

Pretty much a fair summation.. Murray was a gritty player but was not blessed with much natural ability. If he didn't have a big pack of forwards in front of him and Wally outside him he would have been completely

useless..

nqboy

First Grade
It wasn't all interstate politics, Murray's combination with Lewis helped a bit. which leads me to another point, Brandy's lack of a halves partner of his ilk may have gone against him. Sterling/Kenny, Lewis/Langer, Stuart/Daley... selectors like picking combinations where they can.

Green Machine

First Grade
Cockadoodledoo said:
How old was Alexander in 1984? He was know where near his best back then.. Brandy's peak was in the late 80's, early 90's.. Bit of a stretch to imply he was not good enough to displace Murrat. Murray DID NOT EARN HIS SPOT. He was ordinary and well behind Mortimer, Sterling and a number of other halves. Interstate politics got him the job. Nothing else..

See, you are talking garbage again. I was only mentioning the halfbacks who actually played for Australia in the eighties and the halfbacks who played for Australia into the 90’s. I mentioned Murray because he represented Australia in the first half of Alexander’s career. I think if you go back and look what I said instead of trying to take me out of context you would have seen I wrote:

In the 80’s, the two top halfbacks were Sterling and Mortimer.

As for Murray being at Finch’s level, I can never remember Mark Murray letting QLD down at State of Origin level. Go back to dreaming

Focal Point

Juniors
Cockadoodledoo said:

......and an ordinary coach right?

Latest posts