What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis headed to South Sydney - no players to be shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWB

Bench
"We can do something in the big games which Souths can't... defend. Not to mention we actually have a decent set of halves."

that's got to go down in history a one of the best quotes i've ever heard (32-8):lol:

Yet you use one game to back up your argument. At the least you could of pointed out at the start of the season when we got flogged by the dogs and were leaking massive points in a lot of our games. If you're capable of holding memories for that long?

Leading up to that game we conceded an average of 11points in finals games, woeful :roll:

BunniesMan

Immortal
it is ridiculous but it's intended really to stop a club paying a player massively below market value like soufs are trying to do and finding some abckdoor way of paying them. the NRL is flexible however and a good case was john skandalis last year who hadnt intended to play first grade but when injuries occured the tigers spoke to the NRL about what they could do about allowing him to play again without blowing out the cap. but if it's a marquee player wnating to play for peanuts....
I lol'd.

Secondly the clubs (esp sydney ones) are financially struggling as it is. I've ehard Greg Alexander who's on the pantehrs board state the panthers can't afford a massive increas ein the salary cap cos the money isnt there. now this is a club with the pantehrs leagues club behind them, a massive junior base and he's syaing they cant do it
Because clubs are incompetently run. They've been bankrolled by that massive leagues club for years and have done nothing to diversify their revenue streams.

hope thtas just an internet rumour. though i'd be happy to be at any club other than soufs just to see bunniesman turn his manlove into hate
I've said repeatedly I don't only care about my club, I care about the entire NRL. And if we don't get him I hope he goes to another club before he goes to AFL. I have the ability to recognise that Inglis staying in the code (at any club) is a good thing for EVERYONE involved in the code. There are a lot of idiots out there who just don't want us to get him because it's not their club and they'd prefer he go to AFL. I'm not like that.

Actually I would say that the NRL need be wary. It only takes one of these companies to claim a restraint of trade due to the decision of the NRL and the third party stuff will all fall in a heap. Any company has a right to pay whoever they want what ever they want especially as the company has no legal contract binding them with the NRL and its by-laws.

If the company says that the contract is given independent of the Club then (and have been willing to sign stat decs) then the onus will be on the NRL to prove otherwise.

Despite GI being a pain, this whole rubbish around Third Party deals needs to be fixed. Plenty of companies want to throw money at NRL players BUT WE STOP THEM.

'we will do better off without these players, there's always another coming through' - I for one have not seen another SBW, have you? Look up big hits on youtube and half are SBW. (and yes we need 'villains' and 'heros' in the comp. players you love to hate are good for the game)
Common sense overload. You're going to hurt the heads of some of the backwards 1950 morons on here.
Essentially Souths can have Greg Inglis, but they have to free up salary cap space to do so.

I don't see what the issue is with this?
We shouldn't have to free up salary cap space when the 3rd party deals were legit.
Yes, the fact that the NRL aren't telling them anything. The NRL aren't dealing with or talking to the sponsors at all. They're talking to Souths and Souths only. The tendency to keep blaming the NRL is misdirected. The rules exist, Souths are a party to the agreement, it's up to Souths to adhere to them. The NRL have indicated how this can be done, that is by including the relevant amount under the cap. This done, GI plays for Souths, the sponsors get their man, and all is rosy with the world. The ball is in the Souths' court, simply do the right thing and the game carries on. It is certainly not up to the sponsors to dictate to the game how it should manage it's salary cap.
We did do the right thing you idiot. You keep ignoring the important bits that everyone is quoting, like where multiple sponsors say they did the deals the right way, not through souths. That's why people "keep blaming" the NRL. They f**ked this up out of sheer incompetence.

Have a read of the papers. They are almost universally against the NRL on this issue, and we know from past history they are hardly supportive of us, so the criticism is fair. Anyone with a brain can see they f**ked up.
you are claiming lack of depth hurt your side?

what will removing 3 players to include one do for your depth?
The salary cap ensures a lack of depth. You have an above average injury toll and just about every team has their season ruined.

Besides, centre and backrow is the 2 places we do have depth, and that's where the players we are rumoured to be losing are.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
lol, yeah we saw what happened on GF day in regards to defence;-)

You're talking about Souths NYC shellacking? Good point.

As for NRL GF's.....WTF would you know about them. You're teams been on holidays for a month for all but 1 year since before the internet existed.

big country

Juniors
Yet you use one game to back up your argument. At the least you could of pointed out at the start of the season when we got flogged by the dogs and were leaking massive points in a lot of our games. If you're capable of holding memories for that long?

Leading up to that game we conceded an average of 11points in finals games, woeful :roll:

please refer back to your original quote - i cant think of any other bigger game (as you put it) in season 2010 that the GF and you leaked 32 points and your halves were nowhere to be seen :oops:

big country

Juniors
You're talking about Souths NYC shellacking? Good point.

As for NRL GF's.....WTF would you know about them. You're teams been on holidays for a month for all but 1 year since before the internet existed.

I didnt make the original quote about defence - and dont you get all cocky after winning your first one after god knows how many attempts - your still StChoke

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Got to be the worst way to compare teams. Reminds me of high school days or something.

We can do something in the big games which Souths can't... defend. Not to mention we actually have a decent set of halves.

Just search avg missed tackles and you'll see Souths have 2 in the top 5. That's HUGE, and they're full time players. Souths have too many liabilities right across the park. Defence wins you the big games... people should stop ignoring that.

On a side note the fact that Soward comes in as the Dragons worst at #105 is freakish, just shows why they were so hard to beat this year.

Haha. I'm not saying one team is better or worse ... the ladder at the end of the year is the only measure of that.

The point is, a salary cap cannot ensure that teams are equal ... all it can do is TRY to distribute individual playing talent more or less equally between the teams.

Comparing the individuals in the Rabbitohs team and Roosters team, I'm simply saying that the Bunnies aren't currently a team that needs to lose a player to gain a player like Inglis to remain "fair". This is separate to the actual application of the salary cap - the rules of which should be enforced equally across the competition. I'd argue that's not currently the case. Mostly I'm saying I think it's a flawed system that isn't really working to achieve its goals anyway.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hahahaha, Souths fans giving it to Roosters fans?? Souths didn't make the 8, while the Chooks played some fantastic footy to make it all the way to the grand final (Where they led at half-time). Souths have been sh*t for 40 years!

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm hearing Champion to the Storm rumours. That would be ironic. The club that caused all these issues might just be the one to solve it.

haha

Juniors
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225974637179

Car Dealer Rage As NRL Rejects Greg Inglis Offer

* Jon Geddes
* December 22, 2010 12:00AM

PRESTIGE Sydney car dealer Christian Saap is no South Sydney supporter, but he thought it was a good business move to offer Greg Inglis a new BMW and $25,000 in a third-party deal to join the Rabbitohs.

Now the devoted Bulldogs fan, who owns Saap Auto in Glebe, has been left so disillusioned by the continuing saga he doesn't want to sponsor another NRL player.

The frustrated businessman's plans are in limbo and Inglis's future uncertain after the NRL ruled a number of the Test star's third-party agreements had to be included in the Rabbitohs' salary cap.

"If it is this hard, I wouldn't go down that path again," Saap admitted as the current 3 Series BMW earmarked for Inglis still sits in his caryard.

Saap claims he explained to NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert that his involvement with Inglis was independent of Souths but that Schubert chose to ignore him.

The car dealer's involvement with Inglis began when he was reading the paper while having coffee with a mate.

"There was a story that he was maybe coming to Souths and we thought it could be good for me," Saap said.

His mate rang Souths with the club directing him to Inglis's manager Alan Gainey. Saap said that was the only contact he had with the Rabbitohs throughout the negotiations. "We spoke to him [Gainey], he gave us a guideline of what they would want and it flowed from there," Saap said.

"I have never been a Souths fan, it is all commercial for me. Redfern is one minute from my business and I was excited about the opportunity to be associated with one of the the game's marquee players."

Saap said he was questioned about the deal in a conference call with Schubert and lawyer Tony O'Reilly.

"I have been open with them the whole time about my involvement," Saap said. "I have signed a stat dec confirming all my dealings with Inglis and his manager [Gainey] are above board and invited the NRL to take a look at my books."

Saap is a rugby league supporter and father of four who grew up playing in the Parramatta juniors.

"Greg Inglis wants to play for Souths, they obviously want him and I think most people would think it was a good move for the community - in an Aboriginal sense and a football sense," he said. "He has been brought up through the system and it would be a tragedy if he left the game."

But Saap said the NRL's third party rules made things very difficult commercially. "There have been a lot of blockages, it's just made it a lot of hard work," Saap said. "I think it was a pretty clear-cut deal I did with Greg and his manager."Saap met Inglis when he popped into his dealership and the star back made a strong impression.

"I think he is quite marketable and good for me to be involved with, but I wouldn't go out and chase another rugby league player," he said. "The NRL is in the business of entertainment but here we are potentially driving a box office hit away."

Saap's comments come after Sol Bellear, chairman of the Aboriginal Medical Service - whose organisation had a third-party deal with Inglis - criticised the NRL's handling of the salary cap, also claiming his organisation wanted Inglis independent of Souths.

Ian obviously thinks the sponsors filled out stat decs for sh*ts and giggles.

I am starting to think the whole situation is designed to lessen the amount the storm have to pay on the difference between the two contracts.

kbw

Bench
If I was a Souths supporter I would be calling for Sandow to be discarded for GI.
He is without doubt the worst half in the game.

He set some amazing records in 2010, all for missed tackles and ineffective defense.
He probably set them for poor kicking options as well

haha

Juniors

Irate players' union joins fight to keep Inglis
Glenn Jackson
December 22, 2010

THE rugby league players' union has stepped into the Greg Inglis saga, requesting files from the NRL's salary cap audit into the centre's deal with South Sydney.

The chief executive of the Rugby League Players' Association, David Garnsey, said he would view the details of third-party sponsorships that were ruled to be included in the Rabbitohs' salary cap by NRL auditor Ian Schubert. Garnsey described as ''untenable'' the revelation that Inglis is without an income, as disclosed in yesterday's Herald.

As Inglis prepares to meet Essendon coach James Hird today, Garnsey has taken up his case with a view to investigating whether an appeal against the NRL's findings is possible.

''I've got no real knowledge of those agreements and I've got no preconceptions about them,'' Garnsey said. ''The NRL may have done a good job with it, and I'd certainly be surprised if they'd be trying hard to knock it back. But the RLPA has the right to engage in the process and I've requested that information today.''

Garnsey also had discussions yesterday with Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson and Melbourne boss Ron Gauci about the claims by Inglis's manager, Allan Gainey, that the Queensland star was still owed $270,000 by the Storm - and had not been paid while he awaited a resolution to his contract wrangle.

''My objective in all this is to safeguard the welfare of my member,'' Garnsey said. ''I don't claim to know the ins and outs and I can't yet dispute the ruling that's been made, but what I am concerned about is that he's got no income coming in, living in the front room of Shane Richardson's house, he's newly married and he's having to borrow money. That's a terrible scenario for anyone, let alone one of our marquee players. That's an untenable situation, and somehow some heads have got to get together and ensure that he gets some flow of money coming in. And if that drives him to the AFL or anywhere else … that would be a disaster for all concerned.''

On that front, Inglis is set to meet Hird today. NRL chief executive David Gallop said yesterday the development would not alter the administration's stance. ''Speculation about the AFL doesn't mean we should change the ruling we've made,'' Gallop told AAP. ''The [NRL] ruling reflects the true nature of the arrangements that were put in place to secure Greg Inglis's signature at Souths.

''I hope for his sake his situation is resolved but I can't imagine the reaction if we were to suddenly toss the rules out the window, irrespective of who the player is.''

John Byrne, of The Food 2U Group, was willing to offer up $50,000 a season to top up the Test and Origin star's contract with the Rabbitohs, but he told the Herald he would investigate a deal with the AFL unless the stand-off over the three-year Souths deal was sorted out.

He added he was ''astounded'' that his company's commitment to Inglis's deal was ordered by the NRL to be included in Souths' cap. ''We saw Greg as an opportunity to get involved in rugby league in Sydney, but with this other club [GWS] coming to town, Israel [Folau] definitely strikes a chord,'' Byrne said.

''Greg is our number one preference, but the other one is definitely an alternative.'' Byrne said the Inglis deal was ''purely through Greg and Allan Gainey'', and that ''Souths weren't really involved''. ''Whether he played for Souths wasn't of any great concern to us,'' he said. ''I rang Souths to get Allan's number, so I could discuss with him whether he was coming to Sydney. I thought it was pretty straightforward. I've got a business, and we sponsor Danny Green, we've got an involvement with the Perth Wildcats and the World Sailing Championships. I thought this was a great opportunity to add to them. But with none of those organisations have we had to go through the scrutiny that we have in this instance.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oins-fight-to-keep-inglis-20101221-194hh.html

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
[/INDENT]hang on, when did the car dealers suddenly shoot up the credibility stakes?

don't people rank them along with real estate agents & door to door salesmen?
That's used car salesmen. Not brand new luxury car salesmen.

haha

Juniors
[/INDENT]hang on, when did the car dealers suddenly shoot up the credibility stakes?

don't people rank them along with real estate agents & door to door salesmen?

No, you are confusing him with dodgy used car salesman types like uncle nick.

Ian must have some good proof though if he disregards a stat dec, I wonder when he is going to let us know what evidence he has that indicates souths arranged those deals.

adamkungl

Immortal
If the sponsor has dealt directly with Inglis' manager, honestly what grounds do the NRL have to knock it back? This is starting to look bad for everyone involved. Souths for sh*t talking before getting anything checked and the NRL for blocking money from entering the game on dubious grounds.

big country

Juniors
If the sponsor has dealt directly with Inglis' manager, honestly what grounds do the NRL have to knock it back? This is starting to look bad for everyone involved. Souths for sh*t talking before getting anything checked and the NRL for blocking money from entering the game on dubious grounds.

hey we played by the rules - everything was above board.......suddenly the rules changed and no wonder our 3rd party sponsors are wondering what the f*uck kind of piss poor organisation this NRL is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts