What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grey "cited" for racism

rugged

Juniors
Hope he is suspended - I'm not a Waratah supporter.

Just on another note, would a black person be able to call someone a "white merkin"?

Copa

Bench
rugged said:

Just on another note, would a black person be able to call someone a "white merkin"?
I doubt it. It would be really offensive.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
rugged said:

Definitely. And I'd expect similar actions to be taken.

skeepe

Immortal
Harrison stands down
March 17, 2005

WALLABY lock Justin Harrison has voluntarily stood down from the NSW team until a disciplinary hearing is convened over the racial comment he admitted making to a South African player in the Super 12 match in Johannesburg last weekend.

In a statement issued today, Harrison said he was still coming to terms with the ramifications of what he had said and he believed it was in the best interests of the Waratahs team that he did not play in Saturday's match against the Stormers in Sydney.

In another twist, NSW Rugby Union chief executive Fraser Neill says the two South African players who initially attributed the racial slur to Waratahs centre Nathan Grey – Cats fullback Conrad Jantjes and winger Chumani Booi – continued to maintain it was made by Grey, not Harrison.

Rookie second rower Alex Kanaar was named to move off the bench and replace Harrison in the Waratahs starting side.

This just gets more interesting by the minute. I wonder what really happened out there? At least Harrison has done the right thing for once.

taipan

Referee
Thomas said:
There was a similar case in the NRL a few years ago when a player was called a black c#$t. Anyone remember the case and the outcome?
yeah know the case involved Mundine,I cant remember the player accused,except that he denied saying what was supposedly said,and it went back and forth .He says,he says so no formal charge.
Bit different here Harison has admitted he said it,sorry mate it is there by public admission,dont try and cloud the issue.
If a rugby league player admitted it ,sorry it is not only againt the law but contrary conduct.See you later contract torn up. Just ask the Newcastle prop what happens when you step out of line now,no room for flexibility.
Harrison is 30 years of age,not 19 ,he should know better.
Even the union journos of the SMH and telegraph stated he is an experienced S12 player ,and has no excuse.End of story.

So what do you want Taipan ? For the ARU to put Harrison in jail or maybe exile him to PNG where he would be cut up and cook for dinner . :mrgreen:

ThrashViking

Juniors
He desreves a lengthy spell on the side lines.
Didnt he call Dave Hewett "a f**king jew!" 3 years ago? The mans an idiot.

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
So what do you want Taipan ? For the ARU to put Harrison in jail or maybe exile him to PNG where he would be cut up and cook for dinner . :mrgreen:

PW Apart from your demeaning almost"racist" comment about the PNG people,its simply for the ARU to act promptly and not dither,every union journo Jenkins,Growden is saying he should have been stood down straight away,instead Harrison stands himself down.
The Newcastle Knights acted swiftly,the ARU and NSRWU(who state that it is under investigation),are twiddling their thumbs like amateurs.
Mate Harrison didnt have the guts to apologise to the bloke after the game,which would have helped a little. Read the comments by union letter writers in the Herald about Harrison.
But then again according to PW attitude, nothing like this ever happens in union. :lol:

taipan

Referee
Isnt Harrison centrally contracted to the ARU ?.Isnt the ARU the head body of the game in Australia?.Shouldnt the head body be seen to be proactive ?.
Maybe the recent comments by Garry Ella concerning racism is rife in rugby union,may get them off their backsides.

Lego_Man

First Grade
Get a life people.

You're all far too precious, this is a storm in a teacup if you ask me.

Fine him? Yes
Suspend him? Perhaps

Fire him? **** off

Copa

Bench
I think a public beheading and his body offered up as the secret ingredient on the Iron Chef tv show would be sufficient punishment. Who will conquer the kitchen stadium??

Matt M

Juniors
taipan said:
Ignore it and it will go away.
What happens on the field stays on the field.

That is the worst saying ever. Are we supposed to just go out on the field and smash somebody's head in then come off and its all over? Its just ridiculous...but thats a different story altogether.

As for the Harrison thing. It crossed my mind that perhaps both players said something offensive. The SARU have said it was Grey, then Harrison admitted to it, then the SARU came out and said they were sure it was Grey. Maybe they only complained about Grey and then Harrison came forward to protect Grey but it sort of backfired because nobody else knew about him saying anything. Just a theory but its a possibility.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Lego_Man said:
Get a life people.

You're all far too precious, this is a storm in a teacup if you ask me.

Fine him? Yes
Suspend him? Perhaps

Fire him? **** off

while I don't disagree with you, your living in the past

you just cant do this shit nowdays

I had a instance with one of my kids at primary school, who called his mate brown, because he was part aboriginal.

My son could not see the problem, because his mate is brown. He was just stating a fact, and it was not meant to be an insult.

THe school principal overheard it and my son got detention over it, he had to stay in at lunch time for a week.

I rang the school and told the principal what I thought and asked him why he was making a racist issue out of it, when my son clearly wasn't. The principal was worried about being sacked if the parents found out and he did not act.

It just a sign of the times.

The irony of it all is that when my son was detained from lunch for 5 days, his "brown" mate spent the 5 lunch hours with him, because they were mates.

My son and his mate were about 7 or 8 at the time, and did not understand any of it.

Hulk Hogan

Juniors
What ever happened to 'what happens on the field, stays on the field'?

Players of all types colours, sports have abused each other in that way over all time.

On telly here the other night a couple of ex NZ cricketers said that whenever they toured India/Pakistan/Caribeean etc, they were always called white 'insert all names here'.

It was part of it they said, no big deal.

What a ridiculous situation the Harrison thing has turned into.
Reading some of his comments, you'd swear he had committed murder, and saying stuff like, he'll regret it for the rest of his life blah blah blah....ffs :roll:

PC gone insane.

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
If Jugde Judy thinks the ARU are soft then I guess the ARL should have kicked out Hopaate years ago .

Exactly the NRL not the ARL old son should have axed Hoppa years ago.
At last we are in agreement,the NRL and Manly should have realised he was an accidert waiting to happen.Just like Julian O'Neill never learns.
OK Juged Dredd ?

Latest posts