What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grothe back at Eels vowing not to let last chance slip

The Colonel

Immortal
Grothe back at Eels vowing not to let last chance slip
By James MacSmith
November 2, 2003
The Sun-Herald

Prodigal son Eric Grothe jnr returns to training with the Eels this week knowing 2004 is his last chance at footballing redemption.

The 23-year-old was released by Parramatta in 2001 amid acrimonious circumstances, but said he was happy to be back at the club where his father became a household name.

"I had a bit of a look around again last week and it feels like I never really left," he said. "When I left I didn't burn my bridges. It was all just a misunderstanding. I've got some good mates here and I'm really looking forward to playing some good football."

Grothe has played only 11 first-grade games since being selected for NSW in 2001, before being forced to withdraw because of a knee injury. He has spent the past two years at the Roosters playing mostly in Premier League, and by his own admission failed to reach the heights he had hoped for. But he is confident he can be a force next year.

"In terms of my footballing life I've only got a few years left, so I'm determined to make the most of it," Grothe said. "I didn't reach my goals last year. I didn't put in as much as I should have. I didn't do as many extras as I could have and I want to change that.

"Last year, because of injury, I didn't have a good pre-season and found it hard to catch up all year, so I'm looking forward to getting into training early.

"I've only had three weeks off because I was training with the Roosters up until the grand final in case something happened. So I haven't had much time off, which I don't mind because it hasn't given me time to get fat and lazy. It's kept me in line and sometimes I need to be kept in line."

It was rumoured that a falling-out with coach Brian Smith had led to him leaving Parramatta. But Grothe said he now saw the club as the perfect place to turn his undoubted potential into on-field performance.

"I'm very excited about it all. I've got a good feeling about it. The place seems more relaxed than when I left, there's a great coaching staff and I think we can do something good next year. The only goal I've set for myself is to play regular first grade, which is something I didn't manage at the Roosters."

Eels football manager Greg Mitchell said the club was happy to have a player of Grothe's calibre returning. "He feels at home here, he's happy to be back and we're hoping he can use the experience he gained elsewhere with us," Mitchell said. "He is a super athlete and hopefully we will get the best out of him."

The Grothe name is synonymous with blue-and-gold success, with Grothe snr an integral part of the Eels' premiership-winning sides of the 1980s. But Grothe jnr said he no longer worried about the pressure that comes with carrying the Grothe name.

"When I started playing first grade it affected me but it doesn't any more," he said. "I like it when people say I'm not as good as him because it reminds me what a great player he was.

"He doesn't expect me to be like him and I don't either. If I can be half as good as he was I will be happy."

Eelementary

Post Whore
I saw that too.

And let me say - I am actually thinking 2004 may be a good year for Parramatta.

I mean, Thorman has already proven his worth, Grothe is hungry and determined, I believe Cannings will rip it up and the Cowboys signings will be fantastic for us.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I read the article too.

I find it hard to imagine that a case of "misunderstanding" could cause a club to release a potential SOO player, seems a touch unprofessional to me.

Anyway it's in the past & im really looking forward to seeing him play outside Lyon, Dykes, Vaealiki, Thorman, Witt knowing that all most of these players are more experienced NRL campaigners now.

Could be the buy of the year if he remains injury free.

The Colonel

Immortal
Remebering the tries he scored against Wests in his debut game and Penrith the same year all I can hope is that he can get a combination going with Jamie quite quickly. His speed and in particular strength will be a huge asset.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
Remebering the tries he scored against Wests in his debut game and Penrith the same year all I can hope is that he can get a combination going with Jamie quite quickly. His speed and in particular strength will be a huge asset.

The try he scored against Penrith reminded me so much of his father running down the sideline, i dead set had goose bumps.

That particular try could only be scored by someone with huge potential, you would never see a Joe Bartolo, Robert Muchmore etc score such a try.

Im excited because i know that Lyon, Vaealiki & Grothe have all matured in ways since they last played together....the few seasons of experience ther've had in the NRL is all what they needed.

Throw in a great forward pack, Thorman, Dykes etc...we could see the best year yet of Eric.

Parra could well & truley be the best exciting attacking side again in 2004, the only concern is depth.

The Colonel

Immortal
I wouldn't underestimate depth. Admittedly Kativerata, Stapleton, McKinnon and Moi Moi will probably be fringe players at the very best - there are some young kids in first division who will make more of an impact than can be imagined. Cordoba, Dillon, Delaney Lantry and Hinchcliffe will push for first grade this year. Williams will put plenty of pressure on Grothe, Burt and Petersen and Prince, Graham, Armit and Tsoulos have all shown more than just promise.

Forward depth will not be an issue next year - Pai will cover the centres particularly well but watch for Wade Russell to come into the side if we have any long term injuries.

parra_princess

Juniors
Colonel, interesting you pick Wade. I've seen him play but I honestly can't see him cracking first grade, if ever he was going to do it it would have been this year or 02 and I heard something that he wasn't gonna be with Parra or something next year anyways.

And as for Grothe, I am so excited about that article. I'm so excited about 2004 and I just can't wait to see the new look eels go around in 2004 hopefully playing finals footy i'm expecting a much bigger improvement for next year.

bartman

Immortal
Grothe Jr was really something in the lead-up to being picked for SOO, but then something went horribly wrong? He was mysteriously absent from the semis campaign that year, even after having been selected.

If he's sorted out whatever went on, then good on him, and Parra/Smith wouldn't have him back if there was any ongoing issue. It's good he sounds keen, but he still has to prove he's back in that vintage form before he'd be a walk-up in my first grade side....

Redback71

First Grade
here here man im starting to get itchy feet i hope next year holds up to our expectations and isnt another fizzer. wish i had a time machine so i can fast foward to march

Phillips

Referee
im more exited that wade mckinnon and eric grothe came back then the other players we signed

The Godfather

Juniors
Great attacker, but needs to improve his defence.

Not on making the tackles, but in terms of reading the play, knowing when to come in or when to stay out on his man...and that is where Moodie was really solid.

People have already mentioned the great try that he scored against Penrith. In that same game, he also cost us a try by coming in too early off his wing, giving the Panthers an overlap.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
The Godfather said:
Great attacker, but needs to improve his defence.

Not on making the tackles, but in terms of reading the play, knowing when to come in or when to stay out on his man...and that is where Moodie was really solid.

People have already mentioned the great try that he scored against Penrith. In that same game, he also cost us a try by coming in too early off his wing, giving the Panthers an overlap.

I remember that.....it was Chris hicks that scored the try.

But you have to remember he was only 20 at the time which is very young.

I do agree that his positional play can be very bad which is wierd considering his father was not only dynamic in attack but made some of the best try saving tackles ever to be seen & prevented many.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Grothe Snr was phenomenal. Sattler's tackle was the noly time someone has approached what Guru could do game after game. Grothe would come across field tocut down wingers that Hunt/Liddiard missed.

Don't think that having Eric Grothe on the win means that we will have the Guru back. .Just give the kid a chance, and enjoy whatever he does that is good.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
Grothe Snr was phenomenal. Sattler's tackle was the noly time someone has approached what Guru could do game after game. Grothe would come across field tocut down wingers that Hunt/Liddiard missed.

Don't think that having Eric Grothe on the win means that we will have the Guru back. .Just give the kid a chance, and enjoy whatever he does that is good.

I remember as young kid going to Parra games & vividly remember when the opposing side made a break the crowd standing up all as one when they saw Eric start his journey from the other side of the field & with only metres out he'd cut them down around the legs with one of the most stylish tackles you'd ever see.

Misty you canot doubt that Jr does display many of his fathers traits eg Speed, size, strength & that fend.

Eelectrica

Referee
MR GEORGE said:
hope he beats his fathers feats.
As awesome as that would be, I'd settle for accomplishing a half or even a quarter of what his father did.
Let's see, that would be 1 or 2 premierships, some origins and perhaps play for Australia if he did a quarter or a half. I'd take that.

noosa-eel

Juniors
I too remember eric jr's first game and it was like watching his father all over again...spooky.

I'm glad he has come home.. :D