What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ground Annoucer

Mickyd39

Juniors
I just want to put this out there

Who likes Maxie Bowen as our ground annoucer?

For the people who don't know Maxie, he is the bloke that is supposed to rev up the crowd at Parra home games.

I don't think he revs up the crowd, no one responds to him what so ever.

He uses the same old schtick every home game.

I thought i was the only one that felt this way until i heard people around me comment on how dreadful he is. They are of the same opinion as myself.

I have travelled to many away games up and down the east coast and all of the other ground annoucers leave him for dead.

They rev up the crowd before and during the game.

Maxie just blurts out the same old stuff before each game and at half time. I have yet to hear him during the game rev up the crowd in any way.

He is terrible, lets get someone that can get the crowd going before and during the game.(the team is not doing that at the moment)

I know this might be feeble to some on this forum(considering how the team is going) but i believe it is important to fire up the crowd so the players can get a lift of some kind knowing the crowd is revved up and fully behind them.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

GO THE EELS.

Last edited:

BD5733

Juniors
Is there a harder job in rugby league atm though?

As Eels fans, we have pretty high expectations of the team and when you consider what we are currently going through, it's always going to be an uphill battle revving us up before a game when all signs point to an Eels loss.

Kornstar

Coach
I have been feeling the same way!!!

At the Raiders & Dragons game he had to read from a piece of paper for the names for the team and he couldn't keep up and stuffed it right up.

Surely there is a passionate Parra fan out there who they could get for free to do this????? There are people who would love this guys job and he has no idea and gets paid!!!!

MrT

Juniors
I have been feeling the same way!!!

At the Raiders & Dragons game he had to read from a piece of paper for the names for the team and he couldn't keep up and stuffed it right up.

Surely there is a passionate Parra fan out there who they could get for free to do this????? There are people who would love this guys job and he has no idea and gets paid!!!!

You want to know something else about him?
He's a die hard ROOSTERS SUPPORTER
He's not even one of our own

bartman

Immortal
Is there a harder job in rugby league atm though?

As Eels fans, we have pretty high expectations of the team and when you consider what we are currently going through, it's always going to be an uphill battle revving us up before a game when all signs point to an Eels loss.
The question is... is it a necessary job at all?

In the stadium's first year, all we had was a ground announcer in the grandstand, to make announcements as needed, and read the team lists. I think his name was David Collins, he was a DJ on 2WS and despite not knowing what he looked like, he had a good voice and did a great job.

There was no revving up, and there didn't need to be. That's hwat the players are meant to do - excite us with their skill and effort!

Nowdays we have a video screen, and imo the club shoudl make better use of that, in preference to employing this Maxie Bowen to scream and screech at everyone for 20 minutes before the game. Just employ someone to edit together highlights of the matches since our last home game (yeah I know, lowlights atm), add in some history clips (from the DVDs), some interviews with players and coach filmed mid-week... wouldn't take much to get 20mins of that on the screen to rev people up, while kids footy went on in the background.

Spend the same money they spend on Maxie but devote it toward this mini-ParraTV (in terms of skills needed), which would be primarily for gameday to fill in that 20mins. Could also be made available on the website that day or once it's finished editing on say Friday that week. :thumn

TheParraboy

Staff member
All you eels fans show me how to wave a flag, ready, 1 ,2 ,3 .....lets see all those flags flying whilst im shouting from the top of my lungs

:crazy:

](*,)

[-(

KMP08

Juniors
Nowdays we have a video screen, and imo the club shoudl make better use of that, in preference to employing this Maxie Bowen to scream and screech at everyone for 20 minutes before the game. Just employ someone to edit together highlights of the matches since our last home game (yeah I know, lowlights atm), add in some history clips (from the DVDs), some interviews with players and coach filmed mid-week... wouldn't take much to get 20mins of that on the screen to rev people up, while kids footy went on in the background.

Spend the same money they spend on Maxie but devote it toward this mini-ParraTV (in terms of skills needed), which would be primarily for gameday to fill in that 20mins. Could also be made available on the website that day or once it's finished editing on say Friday that week. :thumn

I've been to a few english premier leagues games and this is what they do. it is all about the game, there are no add-ons like on field announcers, cheerleaders, half time games, etc. at one before the game the big screen showed a video of the team getting ready for a game, getting off the bus, walking the corridors of the stadium, getting in their kit, running onto the ground, etc, and too some good music it was pretty stirring.

that being said, the crowds there are a lot different. they entertain themselves with all the singing and insults traded with opposition supporters who all get shepharded into their own section. i'd love to see this at nrl games but i dont think aussies have the same personalities.

Parra Steve

Juniors
You'd think being a ground annoucer he'd be able to pronounce some of the names right as well.

He'll be out of breath on friday night trying to rally the 2k strong crowd.

Parra Guru

Coach
I know, can you imagine him with a big "MAKE SOME NOISE FOR TODD LOWRIE"

He is a bore, but then again, Parra stadium rarely goes off with excitement.

salvy71

Juniors
trying to rev up the crowd at parra stadium would be as tough as getting George w. bush and osama bin laden round to your house for a game of scrabble .........

PJ Marshal

Coach
he's better than Mark Webber....Mark Webber is sh*t at everything...i bet he doesnt even finish his breakfast

Parra Guru

Coach
trying to rev up the crowd at parra stadium would be as tough as getting George w. bush and osama bin laden round to your house for a game of scrabble .........

Even though he probably can't speak English, my money's on Osama

Bush_Reading_Upside_Down.jpg

bush.jpg

george-bush-cartoon-1.jpg

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
this thread has already been done yea?

I would defend Max again, but meh -
Gronk said:
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showpost.php?p=5510623&postcount=1

grapeape

Juniors
the announcer is a goose

as useless as the cheerleaders and as boring as the kids who play at halftime.

also sparky the eel is a invalid reminds me of Abraham Simpson.

same dumb sh*t every week, watch american sports on youtube. they know what they are doing. or english rugby league, only small crowds but they are crazy and noisy.

parra managment are crap.