What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus at it again

ollie515

Juniors
Dead set.. Goose Gould is as predictable as they come.
The Finals roll around and an "expert" opinion piece all about the Sharks negative tactics. Hoping to influence the ref's as usual...

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...-way-from-manly/2008/09/07/1220725856794.html

LEAGUE fans - stand by for wrestlemania. That's it folks; we now spend the next month working out which team has the best wrestling technique in the NRL.
Big matches these days all come down to the wrestle. You must win the wrestle. Football skill and tactics take a back seat to slowing the play-the-ball and stifling your opponent out of the contest.
Traditionally, referees reduce their penalty counts at this time of year as they look to make themselves less conspicuous.
Coaches sense the change of attitude from the whistleblowers and start to push the boundaries of what is legal and what is necessary to win.
As the games become more important, the wrestling becomes more prominent.
On Friday night, frustrated Newcastle coach Brian Smith claimed the Broncos had dealt his men "the slowest game of football that we have played in this year … it was pathetic at times, just the length of time it took for the play-the-ball to take place."
Just 24 hours later, Cowboys coach Ian Millward went out of his way to accuse Cronulla of illegal stalling tactics in the play-the-ball. "The amount of times they weren't pretty in the play-the-ball, especially hands on the ball, squeezing and spoiling, was incredible," he said.
Sharks coach Ricky Stuart responded in his usual "thou shalt not criticise me" manner by saying his rival was "not the full quid". Let me tell you, coach Millward is more than a full quid. More like a crisp new $100 bill.
The winner of this year's premiership will come from the top three teams: the Storm, the Sea Eagles or the Sharks. They have been the best sides all year, and two of the three will be there on grand final day.
Defence will hold pride of place, and there's no defence these days without the dreaded wrestle.
When it comes to the art of wrestling, the Storm wear the bulk of the criticism. There's no doubt they've mastered the art of tying up an opponent and restricting their attacking flow. However, the fact they score so many tries with their well-constructed attack means not all their success can be attributed simply to their Greco-Roman tackling styles.
The Sharks are regarded by all as the undisputed kings of wrestle-mania. This team had scored fewer tries than any other team coming into round 26, yet shared the lead in the competition with the two teams who regularly score the most tries.
Ten of their 17 wins this season have been by six points or fewer. This shows great attitude and grit, but also highlights how they strangle the life out of most games with their boa constrictor tactics.
NRL coaches point to statistics showing the Sharks make more three- and four-man tackles than any team in the competition.
The key to the gang tackle is the way they meticulously peel off the tackled player one at a time, rather than two at a time, as stipulated by the referees at the start of the season. Every fraction of a second they can add to the play-the-ball, gives them more time to reset their defensive line and rush on the next play.
Manly have scored a whopping 118 tries this season, and rely far less on the wrestle than other teams. They have great hitting technique and really back their ability to dominate without gang tackles. They also put most of their energy into the reset and coming forward as quickly as possible.
Manly forwards also have a great ability to find their feet quickly after the collision, and a couple of them can actually put a ball-carrier to the ground while remaining on their own feet. It's quite a skill.
Of the three top teams, Manly are probably more deserving of a premiership given the fact they actually try to out-play their opponents rather than out-wrestle them.
Those teams outside the top three will require a crash course with the judo instructors if they are to compete for the major prize.
My money, though, is on the teams who have practised the art all season.

Squae

Juniors
I have no idea how he gets away with his' bias crapp. U would of thought the SBW slam on Gallop would of been enough to f**k him off.

carcharias

Immortal
funny how when he was pissing in Rickys pocket at the rorters that this exact style of defence was ok then.

Goulds kids are gonna have a fugged time in school.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
did anyone hear his comment during the titans/tigs game yesterday where he claimed 3 teams ( the sharks would be one of em!) in the finals are less deserving of their spot then the titans.

DJDL

Bench
funny how when he was pissing in Rickys pocket at the rorters that this exact style of defence was ok then.

Goulds kids are gonna have a fugged time in school.

Uh-huh.

Season '02 and the Rooters start complaining of tactics of "surrendering" in tackles. They get the rules changed to allow for "surrender" and "dominant" tackles to be called, which allow the defensive teams to slow the play the ball down.
Now every team is trying to get the refs to call "dominant", and they do it by wrestling the crap out of the ball carrier.

You made your bed, Phil....

Eion

First Grade
The Gus rants are getting a little sad now. In his old age he's losing his subtlety - but at least everyone can see through his pathetic agendas. Does anyone really think that article would have been written if Sticky wasn't coach of the Sharks? Gus is starting to panic now and thinks the Sharks may actually be in contention, so now he's trying to take the gloss of any success. I used to really hate this guy's guts, but now just see him as a gutless, gormless little worm who should be pityed.

PJ

First Grade
did anyone hear his comment during the titans/tigs game yesterday where he claimed 3 teams ( the sharks would be one of em!) in the finals are less deserving of their spot then the titans.

Perhaps we should just have a finals series made up of who Gus thinks deserves to be there.

dannyboy

Juniors
2002 - The Sharks mastering the art of surrendering to tackles and quickly rising to play the ball - quick fast flowing attacking play
Result: Gus whinges that the play is too offensive/fast (his Roosters are not as fleet footed as the faster & smaller teams) and mid season we see the arrival of gang tackles slowing attacking play down - Sharks little fast men out muscled and play the balls slowed down.
2008 - The Sharks mastering the art of gang tackles and slowing attacking play down - gruelling fight to score many points against the Sharks)
Result: Gus whinges that the play is too defensive/slow......

Eion

First Grade
Perhaps we should just have a finals series made up of who Gus thinks deserves to be there.
Yeah Roosters play Roosters on Friday night, followed by Roosters vs Rooster on Saturday. Then come the sudden death nail biters of Roosters vs Rooster on Sat night and Sunday..... p.s. I just dropped a little line to the SMH telling them what I thought of it and suggest we all take a little time out of our day to spread the love.

dannyboy

Juniors
Yeah Roosters play Roosters on Friday night, followed by Roosters vs Rooster on Saturday. Then come the sudden death nail biters of Roosters vs Rooster on Sat night and Sunday..... p.s. I just dropped a little line to the SMH telling them what I thought of it and suggest we all take a little time out of our day to spread the love.

Gus would still whinge that the Roosters lost

TheShiftyShark

Juniors
This team had scored fewer tries than any other team coming into round 26, yet shared the lead in the competition with the two teams who regularly score the most tries.

So what? Is it compulsory to score the most tries to lead the competition?

Isnt Gould the one always wanking on about "the good old days of football"? The days when there were fug all tries scored.

"Defense wins championships"

millersnose

Post Whore
this is a worrying development

last time he singled out the sharks in his media attacks the rules were interpreted differently, to our detriment, in a finals series

PJ

First Grade
true Millers, but I think gus holds less sway in the media now.

Channel 9 seem do deliberately keep him away from calling Roosters games and I don't think the current administration is as influenced by him.

Maybe years of constant whingeing is finally coming back on him.

He is bagging off stick again. Man, Ricky must have really p###ed him off at the roosters. Truth be told he is still seething that my boys missed the eight for the warriors sake. Not saying I agree, but the Knights played much harder all year than the Warriors. The Sharks deserve their spot. No argument from me.

sladden road

Juniors
millers is spot on here..

the worrying part is where he singles out the one person peeling at a time..etc..which is a direct comment to the refs..and the last time this kind of bs went on was directly before sharks v roosters 2002..and we lost when our style suddenly became illegal...

f**king merkin

Latest posts