What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Gould ----> Cowboys

Charlie124

First Grade
NORTH Queensland have called on premiership-winning coach Phil Gould to help save them after another disastrous season.

Gould will fly to Townsville after the NRL grand final to review the entire Cowboys set-up. He met North Queensland coach Neil Henry in Canberra on Friday before the Raiders-Wests Tigers semi-final to discuss plans for his visit.
Gould may also stay involved with the Cowboys in some capacity next season.
The former NSW and two-time premiership-winning coach will sit down with Cowboys chairman Laurence Lancini and football manager Peter Parr before helping to plot the Cowboys' revival.

"The Cowboys wanted an independent person in to assess the football program from staff, to their roster, coaching and preparation," Gould said yesterday.
"I will run my eye over their operations. North Queensland are very important to the game and they need to be successful.
"I will help assess the whole program. I had a sit down with Neil Henry in Canberra on Friday.
"He is a good man and a good coach. After the grand final I will go up there and talk to them as a group and about the role I may or may not play.
"Nothing is finalised yet."
Gould said he was unsure if it would be an ongoing role.
"That is to be discussed," he said.
"It's about what they need to be done and if I can help. It will depend on logistics and whether I have the time. If it's not me it will be someone else. If I can help, I will.
"If I can't I will let them know.
"I will go up there and have a look at the set-up."
North Queensland finished 15th this season and were embarrassed by a drunken incident involving their skipper Johnathan Thurston last week.
The Gould development comes as North Queensland yesterday appointed Peter Jourdain as the club's new chief executive, replacing Parr.
Jourdain, currently company secretary and business development manager with News Limited and a former Cowboys board member, said: "I have a great love of rugby league. I look forward to working with the whole Cowboys team, including our members and sponsors, to improve results from next year and to help build a long and successful future."Jourdain was previously NRL general manager and Super League general manager.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eensland-cowboys/story-e6frexnr-1225926999137

Im surprised there isnt a thread about this already.

Ive got to say im happy with this move, Gus might be a tool sometimes but he has a great football mind and i think his advice and input into the running or oporation at our club can only be a good thing.

W.Smith

Juniors
Xcellent move by the Cowboys, good to see how active they are being trying to get things sorted out and make this club a true RL power as it should be given the set up

mrpwnd

Bench
There can only be a positive benefit from all this.
Gus has a talented squad to work with in the Cowboys, despite the underperformance of 2010.
Despite his reputation as a tool, there's no doubt he can nurture talent.

Shorty

Staff member
Just asking because I haven't see your name there and since you aren't you should prolly join a lot more cowboy fans there and a lot more discussion.
Yeah but people are a bit more precious, like it's illegal to have a harsh opinion on any player.

This is a good move, the team is ratsh*t atm.

Talanexor

Juniors
If Gus joins you guys, there is no excuse why you can't be top 8.

Dunno about that, we're still the Cowboys after all...

In all seriousness, do you think Neil Henry must really be looking over his shoulder? If the board had plenty of faith in him, why would they look at bringing in someone like Gould to straighten things out?

elyod138

Bench
Gould is being brought in to do a review on how the whole footballing department is run, he's not going to be an assistant coach. He may be an extra ear for Henry during the season, if he takes up a continuing role.

Every club would do an end of season review.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I still can't believe the second rate hacks on your board (and resident simpleton Tallis) knocked back the opportunity to sign Bennett when they had the chance. Fair dinkum they should all immediately resign what a bunch of unprofessional merkins, look at the rabble you've been left with.

Shorty

Staff member
LOL Wobbygong you wouldn't be a Sharks fan would you? Because the Sharks are going just fine themselves!

applesauce

Bench
Phil Gould has some brutal advice for the Cowboys: "Dig your own way out.''
November 10, 2010
The Daily Telegraph

IF the North Queensland Cowboys turn their fortunes around, it will be without the help of coaching guru Phil Gould. And that goes for the NSW Blues as well.

A brutally honest Gould said he would not continue to help the Cowboys after recently running the rule over the battling NRL club's operation, claiming it was up to them to "dig their way out".

Gould had been offered a 12-month consultancy role but said he had every faith in Cowboys coach Neil Henry.

However, he had a crack at the Cowboys player recruitment, saying it was catering for players looking for a second chance or "pension money".

NSW's most successful Origin coach also categorically ruled out any future involvement with the battling Blues, admitting "I have had my time".

Gould had been seen as the Cowboys' saviour after North Queensland's woeful 2010 in which they only missed out on the wooden spoon thanks to the salary cap-rorting Melbourne Storm.

But instead of offering a rescue plan, the two-time premiership coach provided some tough love.

Gould said he had done all he could after North Queensland made changes to their front office, support staff and player roster.

Gould said the Cowboys faced an uphill battle but hinted that as soon as they addressed recruitment they would turn things around.

"They have their work cut out for them," he told a Men of League charity function in Brisbane.

"What they need to do is get players playing to their potential, and they may become a club players will go to.

"At the moment I get the feeling that the only players going there are looking for a second chance or at the back end of their career looking for a bit of pension money.

"That's not a healthy recruitment drive.

"I don't think development has really kicked in up there.

"But they are aware of all this."

Gould believed if he hung around at the club he would only be undermining the under-pressure Henry.

"I told them on Friday I wouldn't be back," he said.

"I have done virtually all I can for them.

"Neil Henry has to dig his own way out.

"And I hope they turn it around - North Queensland is so important to the NRL.

"Neil is a talented bloke - he just has to extract it from the players and get them doing what he wants.

"If not, they will get another coach I guess."

Gould had also been thrust into the Origin limelight after Queensland romped to a record fifth straight series win this year.

But Gould - now a media personality - said he had no interest.

"It's six years since I last coached the Origin side and 10 years since I last had a club side," he said.

"Things have changed so much since then.

"It can be turned around quickly but someone has got to have the passion for it (but) I have had my time to be honest."