What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gus Gould in PNG

DC_fan

Coach
I don't often call anyone here stupid and I say this with as much respect to you as humanly possible, but you are so way stupid it is not even funny. Your statements are so profoundly ignorant that to point out the errors in your assessment of what PNG would bring to the table of RL, I believe would be a complete and total waste of my time, so I won't even bother.

I have no problem with you not responding as it will mean I will not have to repsond to yours.

gallagher

Juniors
All we need to know about the PNG bid is if it is funded - and since there are two governments behind it, PNG and Australia, we don't need to know any more.

And of course we all know that governments never go back on their word.

There is no need for Aussie players to go and play for a PNG team. They will be fine just using locals and other islanders. This is not about having a team that will win the comp and I don't know why fans of other teams are concerned about them not having a crash hot side. And even then they will still be competitive at home, just as they are against the Prime Minister's XIII and have been in other internationals.

There is no need for Aussie players to go and play for a PNG team. They will be fine just using locals and other islanders. This is not about having a team that will win the comp and I don't know why fans of other teams are concerned about them not having a crash hot side. And even then they will still be competitive at home, just as they are against the Prime Minister's XIII and have been in other internationals.

They will get flogged week in week out without Australian players. Sure they might get up for the odd game but over a season they will be beaten heavily more often than not.

Port Moresby is consistently ranked as one of the worst cities in the world to live, mainly because of the crime there. PNG is also rife with health problems, such as HIV, malaria, cholera etc. It is very underdeveloped - unemployment in Port Moresby is over 60%. Only about 60% of people are literate, life expectancy is less than 60 and the per capita income is something like $1,200 (I read somewhere that 25% of people live on less than $US1.25 a day).

Also, while PNG has about 6 million people, there are only 300k or so in Port Moresby. Port Moresby is not connected by road to any other major centres and so is not accessible to most of the 6 million people. The main way of getting around is by plane, which the vast majority of people can't afford.

I wouldn't bank on players from other Pacific island countries wanting to play in PNG either. People from Tonga, Fiji , Samoa etc are Polynesians and have significant cultural differences from the mainly Melanesian people in PNG. Also the standard of living in those other countries is a lot better than PNG, so its quite likely the Fijians etc would not want to lower themselves to the level of Port Moresby. Its a bad place even by third world standards.

As for Australians, the only way they'd get them there would be to give them a salary cap of about $20m tax free, and provide them with a secure compound to live in, armed security, etc, etc.

As for people who say we should have a PNG team but based in Darwin, they should realise Darwin is about as far from Port Moresby as Hobart is from Brisbane - can't see any advocates for a 2nd Brisbane team playing in Hobart?

PNG in the NRL is not going to happen in the next 100 years. If government money is put to it ahead of health, education, law enforcement and development that would be a criminal misuse of resources. The promises made by the PNG government are merely attempts by their ministers to get a bit of popularity out of the love of RL thats in the country.

Will the people of PNG really care if they geat beaten in 90% of their games? I'm not sure they will. Their Test team gets beaten in 90% of their games against Australia, NZ and England/GB and it doesn't bother them. So if their fans don't care I don't see why other people are caring for them. Pacific islanders from places like Fiji would kill for a chance to play in the NRL and in any case most Fijians are Melanesian anyway so not so culturally different at all. Crowd numbers for Tests have always been arond the 15,000 mark and that's in a poor facility so I don't think we have to worry about crowds. And the club will have 6 million supporters before a ball is kicked making them arguably the most popular RL club in the world. The poverty and social issues are a problem but not an insurmountable one, and as Gus says, the whole point of the NRL bid is to help fix some of these problems using RL.

chrisc101

Juniors
They will get flogged week in week out without Australian players. Sure they might get up for the odd game but over a season they will be beaten heavily more often than not.

Port Moresby is consistently ranked as one of the worst cities in the world to live, mainly because of the crime there. PNG is also rife with health problems, such as HIV, malaria, cholera etc. It is very underdeveloped - unemployment in Port Moresby is over 60%. Only about 60% of people are literate, life expectancy is less than 60 and the per capita income is something like $1,200 (I read somewhere that 25% of people live on less than $US1.25 a day).

Also, while PNG has about 6 million people, there are only 300k or so in Port Moresby. Port Moresby is not connected by road to any other major centres and so is not accessible to most of the 6 million people. The main way of getting around is by plane, which the vast majority of people can't afford.

I wouldn't bank on players from other Pacific island countries wanting to play in PNG either. People from Tonga, Fiji , Samoa etc are Polynesians and have significant cultural differences from the mainly Melanesian people in PNG. Also the standard of living in those other countries is a lot better than PNG, so its quite likely the Fijians etc would not want to lower themselves to the level of Port Moresby. Its a bad place even by third world standards.

As for Australians, the only way they'd get them there would be to give them a salary cap of about $20m tax free, and provide them with a secure compound to live in, armed security, etc, etc.

As for people who say we should have a PNG team but based in Darwin, they should realise Darwin is about as far from Port Moresby as Hobart is from Brisbane - can't see any advocates for a 2nd Brisbane team playing in Hobart?

PNG in the NRL is not going to happen in the next 100 years. If government money is put to it ahead of health, education, law enforcement and development that would be a criminal misuse of resources. The promises made by the PNG government are merely attempts by their ministers to get a bit of popularity out of the love of RL thats in the country.

Are we seriously still debating this? All your points are spot on (apart from your 100 years estimate).

We need more PNG NRL players, it is that simple. That strengthens the National team. This should be the short to medium term goal, not an NRL team.

Timbo

Staff member

I've been reading the first few pages of this thread shaking my head and finally came across a post that made sense.

Everything in this post is 100% true.

I mean, I had a friend who went scuba diving up there last year and his hotel room door had a 'rape gate' on it. That is, a heavy iron gate with a deadlock on it to prevent rapists from getting in.

Well, not just rapists. Also thieves and murderers.

This bid is absolute insanity. I'm surprised that the PMs XIII game ever got off the ground with the conditions in PNG, let alone any sort of momentum for an NRL club.

Perth. Sunshine Coast. Central Coast. Adelaide.

These are achievable goals. Papua New Guinea is a pure fantasy.

Eion

First Grade
I've been reading the first few pages of this thread shaking my head and finally came across a post that made sense.

Everything in this post is 100% true.

I mean, I had a friend who went scuba diving up there last year and his hotel room door had a 'rape gate' on it. That is, a heavy iron gate with a deadlock on it to prevent rapists from getting in.

Well, not just rapists. Also thieves and murderers.

This bid is absolute insanity. I'm surprised that the PMs XIII game ever got off the ground with the conditions in PNG, let alone any sort of momentum for an NRL club.

Perth. Sunshine Coast. Central Coast. Adelaide.

These are achievable goals. Papua New Guinea is a pure fantasy.
Spot on. Does anyone who has actually been to png (other than gus) think otherwise?

Timbo

Staff member
I love dickheads who bag bids like PNG but reckon the Sunshine Coast is up to hosting a franchise! FMD.

Oh f**king lol.

Were you in a massive motor vehicle accident in which you sustained serious head trauma?

If so, I apologise. If not, then you are a category A moron if you think that PNG is a more viable option than the Sunny Coast.

Does the Sunny Coast have two federal governments backing it? Does it have a brand new stadium ready to be built? Does it have 6 million potential fans and a junior nursery in the tens if not hundreds of thousands? Does it have a bid team sponsored by some of the biggest companies around like Coca Cola? Does it have a bid team backed by people like a Prime Minister, Paul Broughton, Mal Meninga, Gus Gould, or in fact anybody at all? Do they even have a bid? The answer to every question is NO. So there's your answer. But I'm sure you know more than these people who know the ins and outs of RL from every angle.

Timbo

Staff member
Does the Sunny Coast have two federal governments backing it? Does it have a brand new stadium ready to be built? Does it have 6 million potential fans and a junior nursery in the tens if not hundreds of thousands? Does it have a bid team sponsored by some of the biggest companies around like Coca Cola? Does it have a bid team backed by people like a Prime Minister, Paul Broughton, Mal Meninga, Gus Gould, or in fact anybody at all? Do they even have a bid? The answer to every question is NO. So there's your answer. But I'm sure you know more than these people who know the ins and outs of RL from every angle.

How are these 'potential six million fans' going to get to or even watch these games?

How are the ones who will live within walking distance of the stadium afford to get through the front door?

How will a government who can't even provide clean water to it's own country organize a football team?

Shall I name the next fifty million problems with the bid or would you like to continue your 'PNG is the only country with RL as it's national sport therefore can support a professional club' wankathon?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Get the Australian Govt, UN, WHO, whoever to throw in $10mill a year and they can have a team. Anything else is pipedream stuff. I'd love to see it but the obstacles are so massive that I very much doubt I ever will.

Will each game draw 6.6 Million people? Yes.

Will you be able to charge more than about 10c entry fee? No.

and here's the issue, i dont know how they'd be able to financially sustain the team, not just the salary cap but all the other running costs involved from flights to accomodation, to getting all the sports med staff that the other teams have

they'll be flogged by 60 points a game with just locals (yes i know the PNG team doesnt always get flogged by the PMs XIII), it's about the weekly grind,... i thjink the idea behind the warriors has always been the hope they'll be 100% kiwi's but we've seen they just ahvent been able to compete doing it that way

How are these 'potential six million fans' going to get to or even watch these games?

How are the ones who will live within walking distance of the stadium afford to get through the front door?

How will a government who can't even provide clean water to it's own country organize a football team?

Shall I name the next fifty million problems with the bid or would you like to continue your 'PNG is the only country with RL as it's national sport therefore can support a professional club' wankathon?

and sadly though i think it'd be great to one day see a PNG team all these issues are what will stop it.

werent they talking about trying to put a PNG in the qld cup a few years ago?

beave

Coach
They couldn't afford a QLD cup team back in the early 2k's.................. i think the Vipers only lasted 1-2 years.

Tell that to the far more qualified people who fully support the bid. "Some nuffy on a forum says it won't work fellas so we might as well give up. Tell PNG their nation's dream is dead."

Scarves

Juniors
Tell that to the far more qualified people who fully support the bid. "Some nuffy on a forum says it won't work fellas so we might as well give up. Tell PNG their nation's dream is dead."

Many people dream of winning the Surf Association Bullion Lottery... doesn't mean it's going to happen. I'm all for keeping the dream alive, but their national dream should consist of many other priorities rather than getting a team into the NRL. PNG should tackle the big issues first, and then second, and then third... and so on.

jim_57

Staff member
Didn't they say no to QLD Cup because they wanted them to pay for all teams flying over aswell as their own costs?

QLD Cup would be the first step, that and getting more juniors into NRL clubs. I find it amazing that there are very few PNG NRL products when the country has 6million people that are RL nuts. Screams of laziness from the NRL and it's clubs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having had the pleasure of meeting Stanley Gene and watching him play we could do with a whole NRL full of players of his calibre. The guy was a real gentleman and a great club player. There must be heaps more like him over there.