What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan facing Dilemma

xr62nv

Juniors
Hagan facing Eels selection dilemma

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan faces a major selection dilemma ahead of Saturday's semi-final with the Bulldogs, with two of the biggest talents in the NRL at the centre of his predicament. Hagan is in a Catch-22 situation after losing centre Ben Smith to a knee injury on Monday - deciding where to play his star in making Krisnan Inu while nullifying the destructive powers of the Dogs' Sonny Bill Williams. Inexperienced back Joel Reddy will come into the squad for Smith but it would be a major gamble to play him in the centres, a position he's yet to start in first grade.

Hagan's other option is to switch Inu from the left wing to a right sided centre role. But playing the green Reddy on the left has its complications - most notably exposing him to Williams and his dangerous offloads. Hagan admits he's still undecided about how the Eels will line up for the semi final clash - with the winner to progress to an imposing preliminary final with Melbourne at Telstra Dome. "I haven't really thought about that much yet to be honest," said Hagan.

"I think Joel will be good for us. He's played well all year when he's come in and we're confident in the fact he can get the job done." But Hagan admits the loss of Smith will hurt the Eels. The 22-year-old, who looks more like a forward than speedy outside back, is ranked second among centres in the NRL for most tackles this year. "Defensively he's been excellent," said Hagan. "He and (winger) Eric (Grothe) are good on that side. "It's disappointing for him. His season is not over yet but it's going to be difficult for a week or two for him.

"It is possible (he will play again in 2007). But I think we would know more about it tomorrow (after an arthroscope)." The Cowboys meanwhile cling to some hope of having Queensland Origin prop Carl Webb on the paddock against the New Zealand Warriors on Sunday. Webb looked long odds of taking on the Warriors when he limped off with a calf injury midway through his side's 20-18 win over the Bulldogs, but North Queensland boss Peter Parr admits the club was sweating on the results of scans taken on Monday. "It would be a big blow but he is not out yet," Parr said.

"If he is ruled out we have got enough depth there I think to cover it again. "As I said a few times over the last few weeks you just play the cards you are dealt and that's what we will do again this weekend." The loss of Webb would be a devastating blow for the Cowboys, who are already without first-choice forwards Luke O'Donnell, Steve Southern, Shane Tronc and Sione Faumuina for the remainder of the season. "I don't think you could get five better players to be sitting on the sidelines if in fact Carl is ruled out," Parr said.

"But we have been handling it really well and Carl went off with 25 minutes to go on the weekend against one of the best packs in the competition and the boys handled it really well so if he is out it's just a little bit more adversity to handle." Manly duo Glenn Stewart and Chris Hicks both received positive news regarding their ankle injuries, cleared of fractures after scans Monday and given some chance to play the preliminary final at the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday September 22. Stewart and Hicks both have partial ligament tears in their ankles and with intensive rehabilitation have enough time to recover to play the winner of the Cowboys and New Zealand Warriors. "Fingers crossed and hopefully I'm still a chance, that's all I have got at the moment," Hicks told the Seven Network.

link: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=289529

Eelementary

Post Whore
Thanks for that, mate. No mention of Tim and PJ, so I'm assuming they'll both play.

Also, screw SBW - I'm sure we can find a way to shut him down with Reddy in the side.

parra pete

Referee
Eelementary said:
Thanks for that, mate. No mention of Tim and PJ, so I'm assuming they'll both play.

Also, screw SBW - I'm sure we can find a way to shut him down with Reddy in the side.

We'll be Reddy for him

What about swapping Tahu to the right centre to deal with SBW with Grothe.

Then Inu left centre with Reddy left wing.

From memory Tahu was a right winger most of his career.

xr62nv

Juniors
join the bandwagon said:

Then Inu left centre with Reddy left wing.

From memory Tahu was a right winger most of his career.

this is how we played earlier in the year against souths to my memory and inu and reddy faired pretty well

xr62nv

Juniors
Eelementary said:

pretty sure timmy and pj will play

cannings might be named on an extended 5 man bench but dont think he would be selected in final 17

jimmyo

Juniors
Hindmarsh and Finch will tackle SBW into submission - I'd switch Tahu to RC as someone suggested. Another backline injury during the game would present a problem, but Mateo could slot into the centres if need be.

caylo

Bench
Everyone fears Moimoi. Big reason we will win, Cayless Riddell, Moimoi, Hindy, Ian, Mateo: Marsh, Cordoba, Wagon, Robenson.

I swear that is a better pack then the dogs... they are over-hyped over-paid muts

jimmyo

Juniors
caylo said:
Everyone fears Moimoi. Big reason we will win, Cayless Riddell, Moimoi, Hindy, Ian, Mateo: Marsh, Cordoba, Wagon, Robenson.

I swear that is a better pack then the dogs... they are over-hyped over-paid muts
That's a bit biased - Ryan, Matua, MoM, Mason, SBW is an awesone pack that ours will have to play well to contain.

caylo

Bench
Jimmyo it is a little bias but i look at it this way

Cayless>>> OMealy (Omealy isn't the same, over the hill)
Moimoi = Mason
Hindy>>> Ryan
SBW>>> Ian
Mateo>>>Matuia (disagree but this guy is over-rated, talked up by mason imo)

Our bench wins by a country mile IMO. We don't have as many name players as they do, but Cayless, Hindy, Moimoi and Mateo have alot of class, followed by the support of Robenson (even his running game is under-rated, imo better than Ryan), Riddell, Cordoba, Wagon. We have alot of experiance, their bench is young and once their starting pack comes off they lose alot of impact. If you get them on the backfoot early they are gone imo. Our pack is fitter, and more versitile. Mason, OMealy and some of their lesser known props (Armitt, Hickey etc) open holes. If we take them upfront, run them ragged, Marsh will open them up.

On Kicks, turn Utia around, he is slower to turn than grothe. In attack bomb their short wingers, also kick in behind the line. Pattern is a good fullback, but isn't much of a counter attacking fullback imo. If we target their back 3, don't try and find the line, keep them running, we can put a cricket score on them.

If we play a percentage game we should have too much class, they don't have much ability to score long range tries (assuming we limit their offloads) imo, slow outside backs (tonga the quickest of them all, and is probably slower than Inu, Hayne, Tahu and Grothe) is their main problem.

yeh but wasnt burt ment to return last week

so he should come back this week

so our backline should be

1.burt
2.hayne
3.inu
4.tahu
5.grothe

none of this reddy crap

EELICIT

Juniors
parramatta_eels_123 said:
yeh but wasnt burt ment to return last week

so he should come back this week

so our backline should be

1.burt
2.hayne
3.inu
4.tahu
5.grothe

none of this reddy crap

dosnt look like burt is gonna be back this series, no mention of it unless hagan is gonna do a hoodini trick on everyone ?????????? How good would that be cause burt would run a muck on the doggies defense !

Joel reddy is a quality player, he doesn't do anything spectacular but is pretty solid all round, one issue with him being on sonnys side is size diference, joel isnt as robust as sonny this is a major concern, were as feleti could handle him no probs and contain his offloads !

Bigfella

Coach

Well the major problem with that is that SBW plays predominantly on Canterbury's right side.

I know you struggle with concepts sometimes, but when the two teams stand opposite each other ... there won;t be much Tahu and Grothe can do on Parra's right wing to stop SBW on Canterbur's right wing.

Perhaps both teams could run the same direction?