What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan has done it again!

The Seedman

Juniors
Looks like parra are heading for a player clean out much the same as the knights had to do when Hages left!!Well done Micheal you have now screwed up two rugby league sides.But there is one thing good that will come out of this and that is more people will see how good of a coach you really were and you will never get a Nrl coach gig again!Rip Hages

Liam

Juniors
The problem with Parra is that they are very talented, they just need to pull their fingers out, the only player in that team who really tries is Hindmarsh.

mozza91

Coach
Maybe if the players(excluding Hindmarsh) put some effort in you wouldn't need a cleanout

Yosh

Coach
I thought LBurt wasnt all that bad...

Inu and Hayne should be their centre pairing if anything BSmith has to go ^^

Anyways, whats Hages up to these days?

So the rumours about Anderson's arrogance appear to be correct. He clearly is looking for excuses as to why he has failed to ignite this team. Te St Helen's squad he had could win superleague coached by one of the knight's nanna's. Love the nanna's. They rock.

reginald.p

Juniors
Hagan has a pretty good coaching record. In 8 years of coaching first grade he has made the top 4 four times coached Queensland and won a premiership.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
The problem with Parra is that they are very talented, they just need to pull their fingers out, the only player in that team who really tries is Hindmarsh.

I've lost count of all the interviews done where different para players basically say that Anderson is straight up and honest with them and it's whats needed to get the best out of them. It goes to show how much of a comfort zone the players were under when it came to hages. How he ever got to be a first grade coach I'll never know.....

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Sideline commentating on our local Radio station, giving his EXPERT views :lol:

It's a shame hages wasnt doing radio between 2001-2006. Every comment out of his mouth would have been 'They need to get Johns more involved' and 'the players obviously arent listening to what Johns is telling them' haha.

Karmawave

Bench
Hagan has a pretty good coaching record. In 8 years of coaching first grade he has made the top 4 four times coached Queensland and won a premiership.

Exactly.

The anti Hagan sentiment around here is ridiculous. You guys get up me for questioning the skills of our halfback Benchwarmer, but the rabid criticism and anti Hagan movement on here makes my criticism look timid. At least mine has some basis behind it, unlike the anti Hagan movement.

Michael Hagan had to endure the loss of internationals such as Ben Kennedy, Timana Tahu and Matt Gidley within a few seasons of each other. Add to that Mark Hughes and Bill Peden - 2 toilers who busted their ass for this club every game, and they were replenished with players who were not up to standard. Who wouldn't struggle as a coach?

In addition the injuries Andrew Johns had over the years, and we all know how teams struggle whenever their main halfback and creative force the entire team is revolved around is unavailable for selection. ( Look no further than Brian Smiths first year 15th for how losing Johns early season was a huge blow. We did make the semis the year before after all... )

We speak of Smith highly and we bag Hagan.

While Brian Smith was leading the 2006 semi finalists Knights to 15th in 2007, Michael Hagan was leading the 2006 Eels who were in 14th place prior to Smith being sacked ( finished 8th after a resurgence under Taylor ) into the 2007 semi finals and within 1 game of the GF.

Michael Hagan is not a poor coach.

In fact, the treatment of Michael Hagan by Knights ' fans ' is appalling. He wasn't some ring in. He played for our club and led the Knights to a premiership - question his ' give it to Joey ' tactics all you want - but a premiership should never be forgotten.

Wouldn't Brian Smith have loved to ' give it to Joey ' when he led us to 15th in 2007 after Hagan led us to the semi finals in 2006 with essentially the same team?

Hagan is totally disrespected and unappreciated by you Knights fans.

He toiled for us on the field as a player, and he had success off the field as a coach - including a premiership.

He might not be a tactical genius, but he is a top grade manager of men. Something Brian Smith could well learn from.

In the 2001 GF, its common knowledge that Smith had the Eels wound up so tight they were blown off the park by a Knights team who were relaxed and refreshed by the way Hagan managed their training and preperation.

Belittle him all you like , but I respect Hagan completely.

Hagan had a 54% winning rate during his time at the Knights and some tough years here at the club. He has a 53% winning rate of all first grade coaching level. Our very own ' genius ' you all laud in Smith has a 52% winning rate during his career, and a winning rate in the low 40's here at the Knights.

There is more to coaching than being a school teacher driven tactician. A great coach knows how to manage men, manage individuals. At that, Hagan was top class.

Andrew Johns holds the guy in high esteem, and if that isn't ringing endorsement alone beyond what you and I think, I don't know what is.

Give the guy a break.

Last edited:
Exactly.

The anti Hagan sentiment around here is ridiculous. You guys get up me for questioning the skills of our halfback Benchwarmer, but the rabid criticism and anti Hagan movement on here makes my criticism look timid. At least mine has some basis behind it, unlike the anti Hagan movement.

Michael Hagan had to endure the loss of internationals such as Ben Kennedy, Timana Tahu and Matt Gidley within a few seasons of each other. Add to that Mark Hughes and Bill Peden - 2 toilers who busted their ass for this club every game, and they were replenished with players who were not up to standard. Who wouldn't struggle as a coach?

In addition the injuries Andrew Johns had over the years, and we all know how teams struggle whenever their main halfback and creative force the entire team is revolved around is unavailable for selection. ( Look no further than Brian Smiths first year 15th for how losing Johns early season was a huge blow. We did make the semis the year before after all... )

We speak of Smith highly and we bag Hagan.

While Brian Smith was leading the 2006 semi finalists Knights to 15th in 2007, Michael Hagan was leading the 2006 Eels who were in 14th place prior to Smith being sacked ( finished 8th after a resurgence under Taylor ) into the 2007 semi finals and within 1 game of the GF.

Michael Hagan is not a poor coach.

In fact, the treatment of Michael Hagan by Knights ' fans ' is appalling. He wasn't some ring in. He played for our club and led the Knights to a premiership - question his ' give it to Joey ' tactics all you want - but a premiership should never be forgotten.

Wouldn't Brian Smith have loved to ' give it to Joey ' when he led us to 15th in 2007 after Hagan led us to the semi finals in 2006 with essentially the same team?

Hagan is totally disrespected and unappreciated by you Knights fans.

He toiled for us on the field as a player, and he had success off the field as a coach - including a premiership.

He might not be a tactical genius, but he is a top grade manager of men. Something Brian Smith could well learn from.

In the 2001 GF, its common knowledge that Smith had the Eels wound up so tight they were blown off the park by a Knights team who were relaxed and refreshed by the way Hagan managed their training and preperation.

Belittle him all you like , but I respect Hagan completely.

Hagan had a 54% winning rate during his time at the Knights and some tough years here at the club. He has a 53% winning rate of all first grade coaching level. Our very own ' genius ' you all laud in Smith has a 52% winning rate during his career, and a winning rate in the low 40's here at the Knights.

There is more to coaching than being a school teacher driven tactician. A great coach knows how to manage men, manage individuals. At that, Hagan was top class.

Andrew Johns holds the guy in high esteem, and if that isn't ringing endorsement alone beyond what you and I think, I don't know what is.

Give the guy a break.
No. He was a poor coach tactically. He didn't have the courage to clean out the cupboard like Smithy did. If he had he might still be here. Hages is a champion human being and I will always back him up there. This is not a personal thing and it never should be. I would buy Hages a beer any day of the week.

Last edited:

Karmawave

Bench
He didn't have the courage to clean out the cupboard like Smithy did.

Maybe not, but the jury is still well and truly out on whether the clean out is a success.

Are we as Knights fans all of a sudden content with mediocrity?

We need to wait until the end of this year to tell if Smithy's " cleanout " was a success.

The cleanout itself isn't the issue, that probably did have to happen, but we are yet to see with any sort of consistent results if Smiths replacements are the answer.

Karmawave

Bench
Actually I better not, I can't find a thread that it would fit in really, and I'm not sure starting a thread on Hagan is what they need right now :lol:

Apey

Staff member
yeah I think you missed the boat, was a good 5 or so threads about him running simultaneously a few months ago lol.