What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hagan keen to stay

diab0lik

Juniors
Hagan keen to stay
Brad Earl Wednesday 30 July, 2008 12:01am

PARRAMATTA Eels coach Michael Hagan wants to continue in the job beyond 2009.
With his team languishing in 13th place, the upshot has been speculation in the media about Hagan's future, which also has been a hot topic for fans.
When he was given a three-year deal from 2007, Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said Hagan insisted on a clause in his contract that he be told before his third year if a further term would be offered.
In confirming that yesterday, Hagan agreed with the Advertiser that it would probably happen at the end of the season.
"I wasn't expecting it to happen before then," Hagan said. "It may even be into part of next year. But I'm not really thinking about that too much at the moment."
Asked if he would like to continue, he said: "Yeah, of course. Of course I would." After last year's feat of bowing out to eventual premiers Melbourne in the grand final qualifier, "Hages" has endured a difficult second season.
"At this point we're still in the hunt and we've still got enough good players and enough games left to do something," Hagan said. "We're not talking about the year having finished yet by any means. We'll review at the end of the year when that time comes."
He is positive about the club's future. Pointing to young players who had come through to the NRL side such as brothers Matt and Kris Keating, Taulima Tautai, Joel Reddy, Brendan Oake and Weller Hauraki, he said: "I think there's a lot to look forward to. We're in pretty good shape for next year as far as our roster is concerned. Given the amount of clubs that are losing players to English Super League and/or French rugby union, I think we're in a pretty good position in that regard."

The Eels snapped a three-match losing streak in beating bottom-of-the-table North Queensland 16-4 at Parramatta Stadium last Friday. This week they don't play until Monday, away to Newcastle, who are level on points with the Eels.

http://www.parramattaadvertiser.com.au/article/2008/07/30/1990_sports.html

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
I think we have seen enough of TT to know that he won't amount to anything. Why persist ?

If Hagan is around next year, I only hope it's because Daniel Anderson wanted a break so he can relocate his family and have a bit of a holiday before he launches into the Eels camp.

Dymock

Juniors
My preference is that he goes. There are a few things that worry me about him. But at the same time there were a few things that went wrong this year that were beyond his control.

He does have a point about new players coming through the ranks though.

fish eel

Immortal
I think we have seen enough of TT to know that he won't amount to anything. Why persist ?

If Hagan is around next year, I only hope it's because Daniel Anderson wanted a break so he can relocate his family and have a bit of a holiday before he launches into the Eels camp.

seen enough of TT on the wing. I think he has gone OK when he has been used in the centres. He could be a solid first grader if only he can get the handling errors out of his game.

Can't believe he held his spot this week though....

The Colonel

Immortal

Strong ball runner and reasonable front on defender. I highly doubt the apparent move of Ben Smith into the forwards is likely to be successful however I think a player like Tautai who is a much stronger runner of the ball would work well as a backrower.

He isn't a winger's arsehole...... but he has been the most effective player this season in terms of metres gained.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I totally agree Colonel, i think the move is a must, imo he lacks the agility and attention to detail to be a back, however in the forwards he would be ideal.

The Colonel

Immortal
Played less games but still ranks fourth in metres gained behind Cayless, Moimoi and Mateo with 1924 metres. Has only made less then 90 metres twice and they were when he played in the centres. Bit more size and he'd be an effective wide ruinner.

People are bagging TT out but what people don't undertsand is that his posy is 3/4. He's not a winger. Yes he needs to fix his handling. His future is in the forwards. It would be good to have a running 2nd rower again.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Taulima will be a genuine first grader but unfortunately he's not fit to tie anyones shoelaces at the moment and needs to spend a bit of time in the NYC working on his game, the fact that he's still there is an absolute disgrace.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Strong ball runner and reasonable front on defender. I highly doubt the apparent move of Ben Smith into the forwards is likely to be successful however I think a player like Tautai who is a much stronger runner of the ball would work well as a backrower.

He isn't a winger's arsehole...... but he has been the most effective player this season in terms of metres gained.

Absolutely agree that he's not a winger!

Can't see why he never got a fair go in the centres.

For mine he's half a pace too slow to play in the backline - I agree that it'd be great to see him in the forwards - he has a 'bruising' defensive style and comes up with some hits (when not on the wing...)

He's 97kgs at the moment - even 3-4 more would see him at a pretty average backrowers weight. And he'd make a good complement to Hindy's workaholism with his power running game.

Anyone who thinks Tautai isn't a strong runner of the ball is blind
Sadly, anyone who thinks Tautai is safe under the high ball is also blind...

Put him in the backrow next season Daniel (err - Michael?)

again he is bringing up last year, who gives a f**k about it! worry about now!
Last year? he is still living of 2001.
it has been 7 years since he started coaching NRL he started on a high but he set the bar too high. I doubt he can win another premiership based on his game plans. Thou maybe with some decent assistants he could go better.

forward pass

Coach
People are bagging TT out but what people don't undertsand is that his posy is 3/4. He's not a winger. Yes he needs to fix his handling. His future is in the forwards. It would be good to have a running 2nd rower again.

That may be so Jake, but any first grader would be expected to be able to catch a football - no matter what position you play.

Kornstar

Coach
Should we all email the club and let them know that Michael may be keen to stay BUT we are certainly not keen to see him stay!!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hagan is keen to stay??? Of course he is keen to stay. No other club would be stupid enough to hire him.

Daneel

Bench
Of course he is keen to stay. He knows this is his last coaching appointment in the Nrl and he wants to milk it for all his worth. F*ck off to French rugby Hagan and F*CK OFF NOW.

Latest posts