What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halberg awards public vote.

Rich102

Staff member
ISPS Handa Halberg Awards Sporting Moment

The ISPS Handa Halberg Awards has today opened voting for New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment.

This category showcases ten finalists, each representing a remarkable sporting moment that has touched the hearts of Kiwis in 2023..

Included among the finalist group is the One New Zealand Warriors' 32-30 victory over the Sharks in Round Five of the 2023 premiership.

As the only category open to public vote, New Zealand’s public play an integral role in honouring their most beloved sporting memory.

Fans can vote once-a-day at www.halberg.co.nz/vote from now until 9.00pm on Wednesday 14 February 2024.

idunno

Juniors
Close...but no cigar..

Nominees
All Blacks (rugby), All Black Sevens (sevens), Black Ferns Sevens (sevens), NZ Warriors (league), Women's K4 500m (canoe)

The award will be presented by former All Blacks captain Richie McCaw and former Black Sticks hockey player Gemma McCaw.

The winners are Black Ferns Sevens, world series winners with a 36-game winning streak.​

idunno

Juniors
Award winners so far:
- Julian David (speed climbing) wins Emerging Talent.
- Gordan Walker (Women’s sprint kayak) wins Coach of the Year.
- Cameron Leslie (swimming, wheelchair rugby) wins Para Athlete of the Year.
- Black Ferns Sevens win Team of the Year.
- Sir Wayne Smith wins Leadership Award.
- Dame Lisa Carrington (canoe) wins Sportswoman of the Year.
- Aaron Gate (cycling) wins Sportsman of the Year.

idunno

Juniors
Favourite Sporting Moment - my favourite award - is indeed next, presented by 'Between Two Beers' podcasters Steve Holloway and Seamus Marten. Some epic moments here... they're all winners.

This year's winners are the Warriors' epic 32-30 win over Cronulla Sharks, en route to the NRL preliminary final.​

👍

idunno

Juniors
The Supreme Award is presented by Governor General Dame Cindy Kiro. Finalists are para-swimmer Cameron Leslie, Black Ferns Sevens team, cyclist Aaron Gate and kayaker Dame Lisa Carrington.

Lisa Carrington gets the gong..

ozenzud

Juniors
WOW. Warriors recognised by the Halbergs.
Times are a changing.
Well deserved.
I don't think so. A token award, awarded by the public, not the judges. You have to be Rugby or rowing to be awarded a halberg. Bunch of private school snobs. The Halbergs are irrelevant to anyone who follows league.

I don't think so. A token award, awarded by the public, not the judges. You have to be Rugby or rowing to be awarded a halberg. Bunch of private school snobs. The Halbergs are irrelevant to anyone who follows league.
We didn't deserve to win the other awards. I certainly didn't want to win it without a NRL Premiership. All the other winners were deserving. Who cares if we win at the Halbergs or not? The NRL trophy is all that matters. Let them grease up to us when we actually win the thing.

I think the public voting us shows that we really are NZ Team. We dont need a bunch of nobody's to give us any awards. The people spoke.

Last edited:
Yea there’s definitely a huge bias in favour of Olympians. Not so much for rugby though...

I had a closer look and since 95, the All Blacks have won the “supreme” award twice, both of which came after their WC wins. Which is actually the same as the Silver Ferns and Team New Zealand who also got two awards each for their own WC / AC wins.

Olympians though have won the award 18 times during that same period, including 10 times during non-Olympic years.

I stopped caring about the awards in 02 when the Tall Blacks won after coming 4th in the world champs (and losing more games than they won overall), instead of the Warriors who were minor premiers and made the GF. I don't know if the Warriors were even nominated. Whole thing is an ugly sham.

Matua

Bench
What a weird comment from someone supposedly from NZ.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think the public voting us shows that we really are NZ Team.
I agree. I don't think that was the moment of the year, certainly the Test cricket win over England at the Basin was bigger than a mid-season game at Cronulla, albeit awesome. But it shows that we are beloved in this country right now - our 'brand' couldn't be stronger.

I could care less about the Halbergs

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I stopped caring about the awards in 02 when the Tall Blacks won after coming 4th in the world champs (and losing more games than they won overall), instead of the Warriors who were minor premiers and made the GF. I don't know if the Warriors were even nominated. Whole thing is an ugly sham.

That isn’t even close, the Warriors making the NRL Grand Final wasn’t in the same stratosphere as the Tall Blacks making the semis of the World Cup of one of the biggest sports worldwide

That isn’t even close, the Warriors making the NRL Grand Final wasn’t in the same stratosphere as the Tall Blacks making the semis of the World Cup of one of the biggest sports worldwide

And that would’ve made sense if the basketball world champs were the pinnacle of the sport. But can anyone genuinely say that? Especially for the 02 tournament given who was missing? No Kobe, no Shaq, no Duncan… the only player from the 01-02 All-NBA First and Second teams that played in those world champs was Nowitzki.

I followed the Tall Blacks that year like everyone else but they finished with a losing record (the only team in the top 7 that did) in a tournament that was missing most of the sport's best players at the time. The fact they made the semis was just a quirk of the draw.

That's not their fault of course, they just played what was in front of them. But meanwhile the Warriors finished top of the table and made the grand final of what is undeniably the toughest comp in their sport, against the best players.

In their own words, the Halberg’s celebrate “exceptional performances” and “outstanding achievements”; there’s nothing about global appeal otherwise they could never justify 5 awards for the rowers during non-Olympic years over that period.

But IMO there was only one team that met the definition of outstanding that year and it wasn't even close.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I agree. I don't think that was the moment of the year, certainly the Test cricket win over England at the Basin was bigger than a mid-season game at Cronulla, albeit awesome.

Yeah - it's cool that the Warriors won the award, but it really didn't make much sense when there was a pretty direct comparison with something similar but better.

The Sharks win was an epic comeback in an NRL match. The Black Caps win was an epic comeback following on, culminating in a 1 run win in a test match against England. It was pretty obviously a much more rare outcome/much more unusual close finish historically speaking, and it was on a bigger stage against a bigger opponent (to state the obvious perhaps, the England cricket team are a much bigger deal than the Cronulla Sharks).

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
And that would’ve made sense if the basketball world champs were the pinnacle of the sport. But can anyone genuinely say that? Especially for the 02 tournament given who was missing? No Kobe, no Shaq, no Duncan… the only player from the 01-02 All-NBA First and Second teams that played in those world champs was Nowitzki.

I followed the Tall Blacks that year like everyone else but they finished with a losing record (the only team in the top 7 that did) in a tournament that was missing most of the sport's best players at the time. The fact they made the semis was just a quirk of the draw.

That's not their fault of course, they just played what was in front of them. But meanwhile the Warriors finished top of the table and made the grand final of what is undeniably the toughest comp in their sport, against the best players.

In their own words, the Halberg’s celebrate “exceptional performances” and “outstanding achievements”; there’s nothing about global appeal otherwise they could never justify 5 awards for the rowers during non-Olympic years over that period.

But IMO there was only one team that met the definition of outstanding that year and it wasn't even close.

That tournament was still full of quality players, and players that are now in the hall of fame. Our only NBA player in that squad was taken out early with injury, and the majority of the teams we played had some seasoned top level experience on them. I think you are downplaying the achievement of that event massively

that’s not putting the Warriors down at all, they had a great year, people could point out the Bulldogs situation, but making the final of a franchise based comp v a global World Cup doesn’t quite match up for me

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I can see the arguments for and against the 2002 Tall Blacks and Warriors. The Warriors are one of our biggest sporting teams (in terms of interest and fan base in NZ) and play at the elite level of their sport, and to win a comp or reach a GF takes sustained excellence.

Basketball is a much bigger sport internationally than rugby league and while the World Champs are not emphasised like World Cups/Champs are in other sports, it was still impressive for us to perform that well against that level of competition. Even if it wasn't quite the elite level it might look like at face value, it's still a "bigger pond" than the NRL.

Ultimately that's the apples v oranges nature of the Halbergs, a comparison like that is not a hill I'd want to die on.

On a similar note, I was perfectly happy when the All Whites won in 2010. They performed well at the absolute elite level in the biggest competition on Earth. Is that better or worse than being a much bigger fish in a much smaller pond? It's just not a question with a clear answer.