What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback of the year?

Halfback of the year

• Shane Perry

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brent Sherwin

• Cooper Cronk

Votes: 67 45.6%
  • Matt Orford

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Brett Krapmorely

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Todd Carney

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Jonathon Thurston

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Craig Gower

• Matt Head

• Jeremy Smith

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Grant Rovelli

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Josh Lewis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Williams

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Scott Prince

• Total voters

thegame_78

Juniors
byrne_rovelli_fan82 said:
My three would be Rovelli, Cronk and Orford. All three have been playing really well at club level.

On any given day I would have picked Johns but this year for him has been appauling. I think Jarred Mullen has been awsome for the Knights.

U clearly haven't watched any of the Knights games this year saying Johns has had an appauling season is a joke, he has lead Newcastle hopefully after this weekend a top 4 spot and a real shot at the premiership. Start of the year he was outstanding, form dropped mid-season then before he was suspended he was outstanding again. Appauling season i don't think so

Mr Saab

Referee
And the same could be said of Johns with the Knights, but that doesnt mean Johns has had the best yr. (yes Knights fans he is the best halfback overall)

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jobdog said:
Carney :lol:

Johns for me (surprise surprise :p) and Cronk not very far behind at all.

selections of carney or johns are as valid as each other (or rather invaid)
but anywho

in the fair dinkum dept. its cronk into orford and thurston a distant 3rd

mxlegend99

Referee
Raider_69 said:
selections of carney or johns are as valid as each other (or rather invaid)
but anywho

in the fair dinkum dept. its cronk into orford and thurston a distant 3rd
A selections of Joey is invalid? :lol:

No other player can make so much difference to a team. In the case of Manly and Storm. Neither halfback is the most important player on the field. For Manly it is Ben Kennedy, and for Storm it is Cameron Smith Likewise with Carney being invalid, yeah that's true... as Shif is the man for Raiders.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
thegame_78 said:
U clearly haven't watched any of the Knights games this year saying Johns has had an appauling season is a joke, he has lead Newcastle hopefully after this weekend a top 4 spot and a real shot at the premiership. Start of the year he was outstanding, form dropped mid-season then before he was suspended he was outstanding again. Appauling season i don't think so

Well sorry for insulting you then!:p I just don't bide that whole story of 'we can't win without Joey' stories that carry on and on. And I do think they are a slightly better side without him because of all that reliance. Yes he's always been a good player and everything in his histroy say that; but the times move on and the Knights have to move on without him and formind I certainly believe Mullen is the way to go.

effnic

Bench
Seriously when i watch a storm game i dont even notice cronk not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing, i only notice Inglis, Slater and Cameron Smith.

Cletus

First Grade
effnic said:
Seriously when i watch a storm game i dont even notice cronk not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing, i only notice Inglis, Slater and Cameron Smith.

Me too Effnic. f**k they have a good side. That backline I mean WOW. As in WOW WOW WOW Unbelievable! Orford>Cronk. I don't know why there's all this trolling anyway, we'll see this weekend.:D

Leagueguy said:
What about this. If Cooper Cronk was playing for the Knights, where would they be on the table right now? If Johns was playing for Melbourne where would they be. Johns is the most valuable player in the competion.

its for the halfback of the year? not the most valuable playher in the competition.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Matt Orford is number 1 for me, with Cronk a very close second.
Jeremy Smith has been a surprise packet as well this year when Tim Smith has been out and is a fantastic buy for the bunnies for next year.
Joey has been solid but not outstanding as he has been in previous years. Let's hope he fires well and truly for the finals.

Kiwi

First Grade
antbytes said:
Ask yourself this....
When a player puts his hand up and says, "Here I am.. Try and beat me !"
As a halfback, when Johns turns up to play he's so far ahead of the rest there's no competition. Sadly, we haven't seen him on top of his game all season, I suspect the arm (that's heavily strapped every week) is an issue.
Outside of Joey, Cooper Cronk turned up every week. Craig Bellamy knew what he was doing when he let Orford go.
I think Des Hasler knew what he was doing when he tried to move MM on too ! With a real hooker, Manly may have been just a little bit better this year, so when they get knocked out of the semies... don't blame Dessie, blame the supporters who wanted to keep MM.

Funny how when it comes to talking premiership contenders and playing talent the Knights fans have their team right up there, but when it comes to talking up Johns even when he doesn't deserve it, suddenly they become no hopers that only he can lift and win with.

Nutzcraw

Juniors
1. Andrew Johns
2. Matt Orford
3. Cooper Cronk
4. Grant Rovelli
5. Todd Carney

If the halfbacks side isn't in the 8 then they are eliminated in my opinion (i realise rovelli's team isn't in the 8, but that's because of matters out of his hands)

Andrew Johns.. too good again
Matt Orford.... has had a fantastic year so far and is playing well
Cooper Cronk... doing well but the reason Melbourne and first in my opinion is because of Smith, Inglis, King, Webster, Slater, White, Crossman
Grant Rovelli... has done well guiding the warriors as high up as they are
Todd Carney.... well basically my thinking is no other halfback left is playing better than him

Burwood

Bench
I don't think that Johns has been the best halfback in 2006 (comes in at #3 for me, after Orford and Cronk), but to say he has had a terrible year is a silly statement. Even when he was in his form slump in the middle of the season the majority of other halfbacks would have loved to possess the game that he was having at the time. Johns on a bad day can still run circles around most of the halfbacks in the NRL.

Latest posts