What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halfback of the year?

Halfback of the year

• Shane Perry

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Brent Sherwin

• Cooper Cronk

Votes: 67 45.6%
  • Matt Orford

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Brett Krapmorely

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Todd Carney

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Jonathon Thurston

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Andrew Johns

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Craig Gower

• Matt Head

• Jeremy Smith

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Grant Rovelli

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Josh Lewis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Williams

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Scott Prince

• Total voters

PARRA_FAN

Coach
He didn't play Origin and NSW lost. I agree
He played for AUS and we thumped the Kiwis. I agree he was outstanding
He has played most of the season for the Knights and their a
Chance of finishing top 4, where as last year not much Joey=Wooden Spoon. Joey played a fair bit in the beginning last year where they lost a lot of game, but picked up his form even since that Origin game, when his confidence was up so was Newcastle's.

While he hasnt had his best season, most of Newcastle's wins have been cause of him.

lockyno1

Post Whore
PARRA_FAN said:
While he hasnt had his best season, most of Newcastle's wins have been cause of him.

So what? You telling me that Cronk or Orford or Rovelli are not responsible for their respective teams wins? Those 3 halfbacks have all had better seasons than Joey!

Rovelli

Bench
I gave my vote to Cooper Cronk - the Storm were supposed to be sucking without Bell and especailly Orford, but this guy has just stepped in and made the Storm forgot all about Orford. He's deceptively quick as well.

I'll give Matt Orford a honourable mention - Eagles are flying under the radar.

And, yes, Rovelli - he should be the rookie of the year - since Round 1 and his great debut, I was calling for him to be our halfback, and it took to Round 10 before he was - but he's been playing well.

mxlegend99

Referee
lockyno1 said:
So what? You telling me that Cronk or Orford or Rovelli are not responsible for their respective teams wins? Those 3 halfbacks have all had better seasons than Joey!
Ben Kennedy is the key player for Manly. Cameron Smith is the key player for Storm etc. Orford isn't the be all end all for Manly, and Cronk isn't the be all end all for Storm. People thought that when Orford left Storm, they'd be out of the top 8. They were wrong. Storm aren't a team that require a great half-back. They have great teamwork and great players in nearly every jersey. Take Cronk off the field, they would still kick butt.

Johns is the key player for Knights. He was the key player for NSW and Australia whenever present. Without him, neither team is as solid as it was.

The Storm and Sea Eagles both have better teams then the Knights do. More wins doesn't make the half-backs in those teams better then Joey. It just makes the quality of those teams higher overall. I'd like to see how Joey and Mullen do as a combination in the future though. I think it will be the strongest halves combination easily. Mullen is really getting into form. Getting confidence and becoming a great leader. He and Joey together in the finals will be something.

Cronk and Orford couldn't of done what Joey did with Knights. Anyone who thinks that Manly or Storm would be doing worse with Joey as their half-back is crazy.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Where did I say that?

Why have Manly improved? Matt Orford
Why are Melbourne on the top of the table? They are not only well coached but Cooper Cronk is having a great season, Storm fans might say he's better than what Orford was down there but theyre not a one man team like Newcastle is with Johns.

Cooper Cronk and Matt Orford have been the best halfbacks.

I agree Johns hasnt his best season and the other halfbacks have had better seasons.

And Grant Rovelli Im suprised he doesnt get mentioned much, especially as a rookie of the year. He's a great first year, you wouldve thought the Warriors would stuggle a bit with Stacey Jones leaving, but Rovelli has stepped up and hasnt put a foot wrong.

Jono078

Referee
I went with Orford.

But following him really closely would be Cronk, Johns and possibly Rovelli who has a great record at the Warriors when he is #7.

Ice777

Bench
Rovelli said:
I gave my vote to Cooper Cronk - the Storm were supposed to be sucking without Bell and especailly Orford, but this guy has just stepped in and made the Storm forgot all about Orford. He's deceptively quick as well.

Who's this Orford bloke people keep mentioning ;-)

Nah Orford has had a great year for sure and i think he's been the number 2 halfback behind Cronk. You're right Rovelli, everyone though we would suck big time without Ox and Bell but we've not only not skipped a beat, we've gotten better. That's in no way a reflection on those two they're great players, but everyone has stepped up a notch or two since they left.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Newcastle don't have a better team than manly or Storm...

Newcastle have

Joey "the tool" Johns- AUS/NSW
Gidley-AUS/NSW
Carney- GB
Simpson- AUS/NSW
Kurt Gildley- City Origin
Carmont- NZ
Buderus- NSW/AUS
Craig Smith- NZ
Perry- NSW
Abraham- COUNTRY oRIGIN

That is 10 rep players!

Melbourne

Smith- QLD
Ingliss-Qld
Slater- Qld
Johnson-Qld
Geyer- NSW/AUS?
Hill- NSW
King- nsw/aus
Webster-NZ

That is 8 rep players. Newcastle have a BETTER team on paper. To me that just improves the point that Cronk is a vital ingredient to their football team!

JJ

Immortal
Cronk>Orford>Johns>Gower

But in any one game, Johns is far and away the man you want in the #7 jumper

Don't believe that Carmont has played for the Kiwis

mxlegend99

Referee
lockyno1 said:
Newcastle don't have a better team than manly or Storm...

Newcastle have

Joey "the tool" Johns- AUS/NSW
Gidley-AUS/NSW
Carney- GB
Simpson- AUS/NSW
Kurt Gildley- City Origin
Carmont- NZ
Buderus- NSW/AUS
Craig Smith- NZ
Perry- NSW
Abraham- COUNTRY oRIGIN

That is 10 rep players!

Melbourne

Smith- QLD
Ingliss-Qld
Slater- Qld
Johnson-Qld
Geyer- NSW/AUS?
Hill- NSW
King- nsw/aus
Webster-NZ

That is 8 rep players. Newcastle have a BETTER team on paper. To me that just improves the point that Cronk is a vital ingredient to their football team!
I really think your method of determining which team is better on paper need s abit of a touch-up. Look at the teams (The Knights team are last years wooden spooners don't forget):

Slater vs Thaiday
Geyer vs Carney
King vs Gidley
Webster vs Carmont
Turner vs Quinn
Hill vs Mullen
Cronk vs Johns

Storm are by far the better team. Carney is the only guy that would possibly make the Storm starting side. Other then Joey Johns ofcourse. Forwards would be a bit closer... but Storm have a better team halfbacks aside. As do Sea Eagles.

Andrew Johns would easily have as many wins if not more with the backlines Cronk and Orford have. It's just speculation, obviously. But the Knights team is far from impressive IMO, i don't care if they've got more rep players then Storm. How many of them are current rep players? ie. last 2 years?

The team he has in the top 4, or atleast top 6 is the same team that came dead last last year.

Iafeta

Referee
Voted for Cronk.

However, if he wasn't so injury prone I'd suggest Matt Head would make a serious play for this one. He's a very gifted organiser that kid.

Iafeta

Referee
lockyno1 said:
I wasn't sure about Carmont JJ. Sorry if I got that one wrong.

He did play for New Zealand "A" v the Australian Invitational Side in the curtain raiser to the first Tri Nations game last year. Coincidentally, the Australian team with messrs Mason, O'Meley, Cooper, Gower, Barrett, Ben Creagh copped a serious touch up. Awen Guttenbeil and Billy Ngawini absolutely ripped the Aussies a new A-hole straight up the centre of the ruck. Guttenbeil would beat Mason and O'Meley, and then offload to Ngawini who's footwork created long range line breaks.

pantherz9103

First Grade
One reason why the Storm have been the best team this season because they don't have any duds in their team. Everyone is doing their job very well and they are very well coached. Jake Webster has had an excellent season at centre but can't make the starting lineup now due to the need to include both Slater and Inglis, illustrating the great depth in the backs and these so called 'nuffies' in the forwards like White, Crossman and Blair can all definately play.

The Knights on the other hand have had a few nuffies in their team. They are in good form now (don't penrith know it!) but they were very disappointing mid season after starting on fire. They have talented players like Perry and Quinn who can also really go missing or get shown up on a bad way. The Storm do not seem to have players with this inconsistency.

Mr Saab

Referee
For a team that was supposed to run in the bottom 4 because they had a ???????????? halfback cronk has had a consistent yr...and thats what makes players to be regarded as good and then great...consistency.
Cronk has to be the halfback of the yr.

Latest posts