What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves for 2014

TrigaTheTiger

Juniors
I think its obvious that our centres next year will be Simona and Lulia.

So Ive got the team for next year as:

1. Teddy / Richards
2 Nofo
3 Simona
4 Lulia
5 Koro
6 Anasta / Siro
7 Brooks

I think if thats our backline it will do.

Forwards, we still need a bit of work.....

hutch

First Grade

1. Teddy / Richards
2 Nofo
3 Simona
4 Lulia
5 Koro
6 Anasta / Siro
7 Brooks

Lawrence will be one centre.

magpie guy

Juniors

1. Teddy / Richards
2 Nofo
3 Simona
4 Lulia
5 Koro
6 Anasta / Siro
7 Brooks

I'm not sure Lulia will be the other centre as a settled, injury free Lawrence will probably get first shot and I hope will find his form again. We have seen glimpses of it and with a good off-season of sprint training and shedding a bit of bulk he should have a lot of his speed back.

Other than that looks about right. Should def be looking for Siro to be going to the forwards next season.

gronkathon

First Grade
Sirro should stay in the halves if Brooks is playing halfback for mine.

Great line running 5/8 who can also kick.

An extra playmaker like Anasta may not be the best way to get the best out of Brooks

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Gronk, I agree it is good to have a running 5/8, I think the Wests Tigers have gone best when we have a running 5/8. I was more thinking that Anasta can be there to provide guidance and advice to Brooks. Anasta can run good angles as well and be an advantage to Brooks when the pressure is really on.

I am not saying Sironen isn't a good option for 5/8, I just think that he is marking time before he goes into the forwards. Added to that he is also still very young and I thought for one year the wisdom (say may argue that term) of Anasta being at 5/8 may benefit Brooks and the team.

Truth is, I am quite excited about the speed and talent of our backs next year. Experience will be an issue but for a few years now we have been crying out for pace, now we have it.

Forward for next year....a new thread perhaps.

gronkathon

First Grade
It is a tough call and it would get Anasta out of the backrow.

I just think Sirro offers more especially with Brooks' passing abilities and general gameplay.

It is a tough call I am glad we are in a position of having to make.

If Brooks isn't quite ready next year we have the Anasta in the halves option as well

Tigers Tale

Juniors
To the people putting forward Anasta, have any of you seen him play this year?

He offers nothing.

In answer to your question, no I haven't, he doesn't seem to get much game time being used as a running forward. I freely accept he is a waste of time in that role.

I have however also seen a 5/8 (or a guy wearing number 6) that for all but one game has been playing 80 minutes and he, like Anasta has really offered the team f$%& all this year.

I am not saying Anasta is the perfect option, I am saying that the step up to 1st grade for Brooks could be made much easier by having an old head to lead him...either way I am easy.

DanOz

Juniors
To the people putting forward Anasta, have any of you seen him play this year?

He offers nothing.
He offers nothing in the back row. The last game I saw him play in the halves was when he partnered Marshall against the Storm in the 1st round and he looked good.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd go with
6-Sironen
7-Brooks

There's experience all around them with Farah, Fulton, Blair, Galloway, Lawrence and Richards

2014 can be Sironen's last year at 6 before he moves to lock in 2015, to be replaced in the halves by Moses. That way each new half with have had a full season of first grade under their belt, which will help the new player with the transition

6 - Sironen
7 - Brooks
13 - Anasta/Fulton

6 - Moses
7 - Brooks
13 - Sironen
14 - Fulton

super_coach

First Grade
2014, our backline is shaping up to be exciting but bugger all experience. The likes of Simona and Nofo will need a smart player inside them who can keep a lid on things. IMO you can play Brooks or Siro, but playing both is a massive risk. I suppose we will never know till Brooks is actually given a run

We needed him when Benji was here at 6. Not after.
The first part is 100% thanks Sheens again.

But maybe we can pick him up cheap? If it's true in the other thread regarding Anasta and possibly leaving ??

In Wallace we could have a true half who can educate Brooks. Gee, the guy is only 27 and how many games did he play inside Lockyer? A true half in the important role of directing his forwards around the park, what a novel idea.

Brooks can have a season in NSW Cup but train with Wallace and Siro in 2014, it just might work.

Let's face it we have no experience in 6 or 7 who can educate the next generation.

It might just work.

TYGA

Juniors
The Future is here gentlemen its Brooks and Sirro (2014) with Moses being chimed in until the inevitable move of Siro to Lock in 2015 and Moses to 5/8. It will be a rough ride no doubt but long term the best option for our club.

We need to recruit the forwards to support these young guys simple as that. We need 2nd rowers and Origin/international Quality ones.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I agree super coach. I'd rather play Anasta with Brooks and move Sirro to lock.

Ideally the 25 man squad should contain one player with 100+ matches for every player who is a first or second year bloke (irrespective of positions)

In the 100 games plus group I can think of
Farah
Galloway
Lawrence
Anasta
Blair
Richards
Fulton

Then to complement them the <100 game players
Tedesco
Simona
Naiyaravaro
Lulia
Woods
Buchanan
Tapau
BMM
Sironen
Koribete
Brooks
Lovett

I can't think of others under contract but I'm sure to have missed someone.
I Assume moltzen is leaving despite being under contract.

If there's 19 names there I'd hope that at least 4 of the remain full timers recruited are experienced Nrl players with 100+ games

Mario chalmers

Juniors
The Future is here gentlemen its Brooks and Sirro (2014) with Moses being chimed in until the inevitable move of Siro to Lock in 2015 and Moses to 5/8. It will be a rough ride no doubt but long term the best option for our club.

We need to recruit the forwards to support these young guys simple as that. We need 2nd rowers and Origin/international Quality ones.

I agree other than that Moses might need a similar year if state cup development (like brooks has had this year) before he can even be talked of as an nrl backup

You're spot re experienced forwards mind you

TYGA

Juniors
I agree other than that Moses might need a similar year if state cup development (like brooks has had this year) before he can even be talked of as an nrl backup

You're spot re experienced forwards mind you

I believe this kid should be used as a shock weapon off the bench. Lightweight player I don't think NSW cup suits. Against tiring defenders in the NRL would build the kids confidence.

Something about this kid that tells me he will hit the ground running. Just a hunch however, you may be right coaching staff should be able to work it out.

Latest posts