What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves for the future.

Bazal

Post Whore
Why move our best hook to halfback. it doesnt make sense to weaken one position to strengthen another. Mitchell has no other postion in our 17.

If Mitchell isnt playing at hooker or off the bench. I believe 6 is a good fit.
Another option would be to just play Murray in first grade now i would be happy with.

6. Murray
7. Robson
or
6. Robson
7. Murray

Aslong as Morts isnt playing in the halves he needs to work on his game.

Robson did well at hooker, MK is a good player as is Mitchell. It's not weakening hooker at all, we have heaps of good options to cover it. We have no good options in the halves, except McGuire.

What on Earth have you seen in Mitchell to make you think he's a six? He's a lot like a less skillful (in terms of the all round game) PJ Marsh tbh, zippy out of acting half and provides good service, but he doesn't have any real playmaking attributes. You're talking about nothing more than a change for the sake of a change...McGuire is the only quality halves option he have right at this moment.

I was being realistic too by the way. I think most of the others are either about to re-sign or highly unlikely. I'd love Cronk but it's a pipe dream fella's.

A pipe dream ?? that what my mate ( a Knights fan ) said about Nathan Tinkler 6 months ago .. and that tsunami is just starting to form !

Eels Dude

Coach
Why move our best hook to halfback. it doesnt make sense to weaken one position to strengthen another. Mitchell has no other postion in our 17.

Because at least we have other options at hooker in Mitchell and Keating when he returns. We don't at halfback.

ParraFan09

Juniors
Robson did well at hooker, MK is a good player as is Mitchell. It's not weakening hooker at all, we have heaps of good options to cover it. We have no good options in the halves, except McGuire.

What on Earth have you seen in Mitchell to make you think he's a six? He's a lot like a less skillful (in terms of the all round game) PJ Marsh tbh, zippy out of acting half and provides good service, but he doesn't have any real playmaking attributes. You're talking about nothing more than a change for the sake of a change...McGuire is the only quality halves option he have right at this moment.
Yeah Robson did do well at hooker, but do you really think swapping Mcguire and robson will change anything? We're still going to have a 6 that can't pass. Can't kick and Cant tackle. All things that i know for a fact Mitchell can do. And do well.
And i do know that Mcguire is a good half, But not as as he is in the 9 jersey, He controls the ruck so well. In the first 3 games this year we looked most dangerous when he was on the field at hooker.

Mortimer is absolutely useless - and always will be.
He`s like the guy in a big office building who spends all day going from floor to floor with a piece of paper in his hand - he looks busy, but .....

so on that basis, I will be playing 5/8 next week ...:crazy: !!!

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah Robson did do well at hooker, but do you really think swapping Mcguire and robson will change anything? We're still going to have a 6 that can't pass. Can't kick and Cant tackle. All things that i know for a fact Mitchell can do. And do well.
And i do know that Mcguire is a good half, But not as as he is in the 9 jersey, He controls the ruck so well. In the first 3 games this year we looked most dangerous when he was on the field at hooker.

It's no good controlling the ruck when your halves are useless and not guiding the side around. Imagine Casey using that control he has at the ruck to guide the team around the park. That's a huge part of the puzzle for us right there. Don't get me wrong, he won't suddenly turn us into world beaters, but we'll be a hell of a lot more competitive.

It doesn't particularly matter who you put outside him, we haven't got any real options outside first grade at this stage. Mortimer, as sh*t as he has been, is the best option at 6 if we have a halfback who can steer the side and allow him to play the support role he played in 2009. Casey is that halfback. He can tackle, read the play, kick and pass and run at the right moments. You even agree that he is a controlling influence as a player....in fact, he's the only one in our team at the moment. We don't lose a whole lot with MK or Mitchell or Robson at hooker...but we gain a whole lot with Casey at halfback. Perhaps, in a month or so, if Murray continues to improve then it will be a moot point and we'll have 7-Murray 9-McGuire....but in the short term, you pick the best team and at the moment the best half (on form and ability) is Casey McGuire

ParraFan09

Juniors
It's no good controlling the ruck when your halves are useless and not guiding the side around. Imagine Casey using that control he has at the ruck to guide the team around the park. That's a huge part of the puzzle for us right there. Don't get me wrong, he won't suddenly turn us into world beaters, but we'll be a hell of a lot more competitive.

It doesn't particularly matter who you put outside him, we haven't got any real options outside first grade at this stage. Mortimer, as sh*t as he has been, is the best option at 6 if we have a halfback who can steer the side and allow him to play the support role he played in 2009. Casey is that halfback. He can tackle, read the play, kick and pass and run at the right moments. You even agree that he is a controlling influence as a player....in fact, he's the only one in our team at the moment. We don't lose a whole lot with MK or Mitchell or Robson at hooker...but we gain a whole lot with Casey at halfback. Perhaps, in a month or so, if Murray continues to improve then it will be a moot point and we'll have 7-Murray 9-McGuire....but in the short term, you pick the best team and at the moment the best half (on form and ability) is Casey McGuire
Yeah Mcguire probably is the best player to guide us around the park. But look at the storm Cam Smith Is there lead playmaker out of acting half i have no doubt Mcguire could adapt that role, Moving casey from hooker to halfback and leaving Morts at 6 is just going to put all the pressure on Mcguire. Aslong as we have Morts in the halves. We are goin to have a Halfback and a support player, Not a halfs pairing. And with Kearney basically wiping out second phase play from our game plan. Where does Mortimer fit in. Atleast With Mitchell at 6 he can inject himself into that game with out offlloads. He has a good step, A good turn of pace. Can kick. Pass and tackle. What more do you really need out of five-eitght. Im not saying he is the long term option but atleast until Humble or Murray are ready, Why not try, If that doesnt work by all means play casey at 7 or 6!

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah Mcguire probably is the best player to guide us around the park. But look at the storm Cam Smith Is there lead playmaker out of acting half i have no doubt Mcguire could adapt that role, Moving casey from hooker to halfback and leaving Morts at 6 is just going to put all the pressure on Mcguire. Aslong as we have Morts in the halves. We are goin to have a Halfback and a support player, Not a halfs pairing. And with Kearney basically wiping out second phase play from our game plan. Where does Mortimer fit in. Atleast With Mitchell at 6 he can inject himself into that game with out offlloads. He has a good step, A good turn of pace. Can kick. Pass and tackle. What more do you really need out of five-eitght. Im not saying he is the long term option but atleast until Humble or Murray are ready, Why not try, If that doesnt work by all means play casey at 7 or 6!

Has Mitchell ever played at number 7 in the lower grades? That's something you should research before suggesting.

Bazal

Post Whore

Mortimer can play that Brett Kenny (sort of), or early career Laurie Daley/Brad Fittler role (NOTE TO IDIOTS OUT THERE, I AM IN NO WAY COMPARING MORTIMER TO THESE PLAYERS ON ABILITY. BACK IN YOUR BOX). Run off Casey, hit holes, create things by being a supportive runner to his halfback, which is his strength. That's honestly the best we can hope for at this stage. That's all Mitchell would offer, except you'd have him playing outside a halfback who can't kick or pass.

The Storm are able to play the way they do because Smith plays halfback! He and Cronk rotate through first/second receiver on a regular basis. He may be named at 9 and he may get to acting half a lot, but he essentially plays as a second halfback, especially when Hinchcliffe is on the field. We haven't got a first halfback to allow Casey to play as a second, to be brutally honest. And besides, if you wanted to try Ant out in a halves role, why could that not work with Casey and Mitchell at 7 and 9 respectively?

ParraFan09

Juniors
Mortimer can play that Brett Kenny (sort of), or early career Laurie Daley/Brad Fittler role (NOTE TO IDIOTS OUT THERE, I AM IN NO WAY COMPARING MORTIMER TO THESE PLAYERS ON ABILITY. BACK IN YOUR BOX). Run off Casey, hit holes, create things by being a supportive runner to his halfback, which is his strength. That's honestly the best we can hope for at this stage. That's all Mitchell would offer, except you'd have him playing outside a halfback who can't kick or pass.

The Storm are able to play the way they do because Smith plays halfback! He and Cronk rotate through first/second receiver on a regular basis. He may be named at 9 and he may get to acting half a lot, but he essentially plays as a second halfback, especially when Hinchcliffe is on the field. We haven't got a first halfback to allow Casey to play as a second, to be brutally honest. And besides, if you wanted to try Ant out in a halves role, why could that not work with Casey and Mitchell at 7 and 9 respectively?
I guess that could be an option!

Raudonikis

Juniors
everyone bags morts out but in actual fact hes been one of our best plaYERS IN THE OPENING ROUNDS.SOME OF YOU HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA

hindy111

Post Whore
I think morts has been ok
Aganst melbourne our forwards got belted-Against penrith our forwards got belted and against souths we where unlucky...We may be faves for the spoon but once the forwards can get goign we should improve

The Colonel

Immortal
It's no good controlling the ruck when your halves are useless and not guiding the side around.

It is every use actually...... our two wins this year have come from doing that exactly.

Create the forward roll on from dummy half and give the halves some space.

Mortimer and Hayn have both been able to ball play on the back of good go forward.

Our forwards get dominated, no roll on out of dummy half and there is no time and space for which the halves - effectively Hayne and Mortimer - to work from.

As for why it won't work wih McGuire - he has yet to finish a full game at hooker due to injury...... you need your halfback to play 80 minutes and not be interchanged due to injury or fatigue. When he and Keating are fit they are the best two options for us at hooker - certainly not in he halves.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
It is every use actually...... our two wins this year have come from doing that exactly.

Create the forward roll on from dummy half and give the halves some space.

Mortimer and Hayn have both been able to ball play on the back of good go forward.

Our forwards get dominated, no roll on out of dummy half and there is no time and space for which the halves - effectively Hayne and Mortimer - to work from.

As for why it won't work wih McGuire - he has yet to finish a full game at hooker due to injury...... you need your halfback to play 80 minutes and not be interchanged due to injury or fatigue. When he and Keating are fit they are the best two options for us at hooker - certainly not in he halves.

Oh sure, it'll win you a few games...but not against the good sides. It's a sacrifice that I think we need to make, we simply can't persist with the current halves.

The Colonel

Immortal
Oh sure, it'll win you a few games...but not against the good sides. It's a sacrifice that I think we need to make, we simply can't persist with the current halves.

It is exactly what the good sides do...... you missed what Melbourne did to us perhaps? Slow down Ennis on Friday night and you slow down the Dogs. Same job across at the Dragons....

With McGuire returning from injury, Keating out for a few more weeks and neither Huble norMurray even sighted anywhere near first grade can you throw up two more choices? Seriously?

Unless the forwards do their job you can shuffle whatever and wherever you like...... won't win us any games unless they aim up at the ruck.

Bazal

Post Whore
It is exactly what the good sides do...... you missed what Melbourne did to us perhaps? Slow down Ennis on Friday night and you slow down the Dogs. Same job across at the Dragons....

With McGuire returning from injury, Keating out for a few more weeks and neither Huble norMurray even sighted anywhere near first grade can you throw up two more choices? Seriously?

Unless the forwards do their job you can shuffle whatever and wherever you like...... won't win us any games unless they aim up at the ruck.

No, it's the first part of what the good sides do. Dominate the ruck, dominate field position, make use of the field position with attacking raids from the halves. We can do the first part as much as you like, and it might result in the second part pretty often. But with our halves, how often will we close the deal?

The Colonel

Immortal
No, it's the first part of what the good sides do. Dominate the ruck, dominate field position, make use of the field position with attacking raids from the halves. We can do the first part as much as you like, and it might result in the second part pretty often. But with our halves, how often will we close the deal?

So where are your choices? I don't disagree that changes are needed but if you move McGuire who plays hooker? Robson may be ok at hooker but isn't going to give us the impetus that McGuire can. So we strengthen one position and we weaken another..... and we lose the battle of the ruck but we have a halfback that can guide us around the park for 40 minutes.

It is ok to say we must change the halves but you need options to make effective changes.

Bazal

Post Whore
So where are your choices? I don't disagree that changes are needed but if you move McGuire who plays hooker? Robson may be ok at hooker but isn't going to give us the impetus that McGuire can. So we strengthen one position and we weaken another..... and we lose the battle of the ruck but we have a halfback that can guide us around the park for 40 minutes.

It is ok to say we must change the halves but you need options to make effective changes.

Mitchell and Robson can do an effective job. We have a good pack, who can lay a great platform for any hooker. Sure, Casey is better, but honestly Mitchell and Robson will do a good job, and the change will provide us much more impetus from our halves. That's crucial in winning games. And like I said elsewhere, Casey won't miraculously turn us into a top side, but having a player like him in the halves gives us more direction and penetration.