What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves

caylo

Bench
I won't disagree with you!

KK isn't Andrew Johns or anything... he's a guy who has played a handful of top grade games at the halfback spot.

And I completely agree with parra-matters - Robson MUST be the best defensive halfback in the NRL at the moment.

To respond to the original post - in terms of "killing our attack" - the last 4 games our attack has really clicked on the back of Hayne, and to a lesser degree, Mortimer. We've scored plenty of points in that time - and with Mateo back, I'd suggest our attack has plenty of facets.

I fail to understand how Keating greatly improves us in that area anyway
In his 18 career top grade games, K Keating has 4 try assists and 2 line break assists.
In his 15 top grade games this year, Robson has 4 try assists and 5 line break assists.

Why on earth would we drop the organiser of a hot team for a guy who likes to step and go himself quite a lot?

KK has played 5 game at halfback (2 games last year and 3 gams +13min this year) and this year from halfback he has 2 try assist, 2 line break assist and 2 linebreaks in a team that couldnt score a try. Compared to Robson in 13 games has 3 try assist, 5 linebreak assist and a 1 linebreak plus KK has a better kicking and passing game. IMO KK is a much better option then Robson and should be brought back into the team after I what I saw from Robson in the 1st 40min lastnight (i didnt see the 2nd half so I cant comment on that)

The tries that we have scored in the last 4 weeks have been on the back of Hayne, Mortimer, Inu, Reddy or Grothe and not from Robson who has had 1 try assist after we have scored 22 tries in that last 4 weeks.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
The halves should not be changed.

Mateo - a guy who was being talked about as an Origin possibility and is a proven matchwinner - is being brought back slowly so that he can get match fitness and also work his way into the current structure.

And Mateo is a lock, so his return is less disruptive than that of a half.

There is no way that we should disrupt the halves to bring back a guy who has yet to even prove himself in first grade.

salvy71

Juniors
Anytime the opposition makes a half break it always seems to be Hindmarsh or Robson that is there to make the tackle ....I wouldn't drop him whilst he defends so well ....his attack is average but there is enough flair around him to compensate .

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
KK has played 5 game at halfback (2 games last year and 3 gams +13min this year) and this year from halfback he has 2 try assist, 2 line break assist and 2 linebreaks in a team that couldnt score a try. Compared to Robson in 13 games has 3 try assist, 5 linebreak assist and a 1 linebreak plus KK has a better kicking and passing game. IMO KK is a much better option then Robson and should be brought back into the team after I what I saw from Robson in the 1st 40min lastnight (i didnt see the 2nd half so I cant comment on that)

The tries that we have scored in the last 4 weeks have been on the back of Hayne, Mortimer, Inu, Reddy or Grothe and not from Robson who has had 1 try assist after we have scored 22 tries in that last 4 weeks.

Irrelevent a lot of that. KK did well, but being a halfback requires more than just stats. It's how you direct the team around the park and leadership that's shown. Robson is up to that, Morts has done the rest. Throwing KK back into the side puts a lot of pressure not only on him but Mortimor as well. The fact Morts has Robson playing along side him is a testament to why he's playing so well.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Irrelevent a lot of that. KK did well, but being a halfback requires more than just stats. It's how you direct the team around the park and leadership that's shown. Robson is up to that, Morts has done the rest. Throwing KK back into the side puts a lot of pressure not only on him but Mortimor as well. The fact Morts has Robson playing along side him is a testament to why he's playing so well.

Bingo!

The thing that all those stats fail to tell us is how DA is organising the team, who he wants doing what, and what influence players have on those around them.

The fact is that Robson is part of the organising group out on the field, and we are going fine.

Keating is a runner of the ball. Take out Robson and Mortimer might struggle with different responsibilities.

We also don't know how Robson influences or affects others. Perhaps Robson is a steadying influence, perhaps because he never thought he'd be in this position he is just enjoying the ride and that rubs off on others, perhaps he talks on the field when no-one else does? Keating never seemed comfortable trying to organise, and even his line breaks were more about spying an opportunity and going for it, not organising and setting up that opportunity.

We are playing well, winning, and winning well. You don't throw a kid into the halves in that environment at this stage of the season.

Fee

Juniors
Mark in the stands just posted in the Wenty thread that KK limped of the field up on the cetral coast 10 minutes into the game , after scoring a try for Wenty! Hope it isnt too bad.

natheel

Coach
I for one was even hesitant of having mateo back in such a big game just coz the players are all playing so well but it proved a good move but changing the halves unless an injury occurs I don't think is needed robson isn't doing anything wrong ATM he may not be the most creative half but we have morts and now mateo and even hayne proved with his 2 40/20s we have that covered but robson makes the tackles and desperate plays we need. He is even starting to break the line a bit too. I really enjoy watching him exceed expectations week in week out

oldmancraigy

Coach

Wait - you're contradicting yourself here.

As you point out we've scored 22 tries in 4 weeks - that's plenty of attack right there. And as you point out we have Hayne, Mortimer (and now Mateo) driving the attack.
It would appear that the attack is organised just fine, the kicking and passing is well under control.

So why would we need to bring in someone who has only played 5 career games at halfback (plus 13 minutes)????????

KK certainly should get the nod next season ahead of Robson, but barring an injury, there's no reason to replace a guy who is part of a winning squad and is getting the job done just fine with a guy who has hardly played halfback in the top grade and has NOT been part of the winning squad.

In no way am I saying Robson is a more talented player - but KK should probably be waiting until next year.

jk13

First Grade
at first i thought robson hogged it a bit much at times, but on the 2nd viewing (and i'll probably watch it again this arvo) i thought the team benefited as it made the defence focus on him more. he also made a few half breaks and his defence is sublime. surely keating will have to play benji like 4 wenty to somehow squeeze into this team

caylo

Bench
Wait - you're contradicting yourself here.

As you point out we've scored 22 tries in 4 weeks - that's plenty of attack right there. And as you point out we have Hayne, Mortimer (and now Mateo) driving the attack.
It would appear that the attack is organised just fine, the kicking and passing is well under control.

So why would we need to bring in someone who has only played 5 career games at halfback (plus 13 minutes)????????

KK certainly should get the nod next season ahead of Robson, but barring an injury, there's no reason to replace a guy who is part of a winning squad and is getting the job done just fine with a guy who has hardly played halfback in the top grade and has NOT been part of the winning squad.

In no way am I saying Robson is a more talented player - but KK should probably be waiting until next year.

Problem is think about how we have scored alot of tries, Inu beating someone, Reddy kicking in behind the line or simple jarryd hayne brilliance the problem is what happens iof Hayne has an off day. Good teams will not let Inu and Reddy have so much space to kick in behind the line. We need a halves pairing that can put players into gaps which Mortimer and Robson have failed to do so far. We are riding on the brilliance of a few players to score out points but with Mateo back that also give us alot more versitility in attack (he is someone that can put a player into a gap).

It would be difficult to change a winning team and your are right there but I dont know if we can beat a team like the dragons or dogs in the finals with Robson at halfback. While I have been impressed with him of late his kicking game is not very good and close to the line i think he makes the wrong choices to many times. KK is a very good defender and adds alot more with his short passing game plus he is quicker and a very good support player (just as robson is). It may not make much of a difference because KK went down injured today and even if its only a 1-2 week injury it would be much to late to bring him into the side.

jk13

First Grade
just don't know whether i would want to break a combination now, considering they r winning

Eels Dude

Coach
Problem is think about how we have scored alot of tries, Inu beating someone, Reddy kicking in behind the line or simple jarryd hayne brilliance the problem is what happens iof Hayne has an off day. Good teams will not let Inu and Reddy have so much space to kick in behind the line. We need a halves pairing that can put players into gaps which Mortimer and Robson have failed to do so far. We are riding on the brilliance of a few players to score out points but with Mateo back that also give us alot more versitility in attack (he is someone that can put a player into a gap).

A GOOD side focuses on their own strengths instead of worrying about how the opposition will counter them. Sure, you have to take the other side into account... but you've got to put your own strengths paromount and build your game plan along that.

caylo

Bench
A GOOD side focuses on their own strengths instead of worrying about how the opposition will counter them. Sure, you have to take the other side into account... but you've got to put your own strengths paromount and build your game plan along that.

Its not that we wont play to our own strength but teams like the Dragons, Dogs, Titans and Melbourne will be better in defence, alot of those tries were scored off bad defencive reads or simple mistackles. I am happy if DA keep Robson at halfback because I understand why he is doing it, I would just prefer to see KK in the team who IMO is the most skilled half/hooker in our team.

lingard

Coach

Exactly. Robson is a calm, consistent performer who definitely makes Mortimer's job easier. He gives him good ball, doesn't put him under pressure. He's actually given Mortimer a saloon passage into first grade.
And, to be honest, I think Robson played all over Mortimer last night. I was a little disappointed in Mortimer.

bartman

Immortal
Mark in the stands just posted in the Wenty thread that KK limped of the field up on the cetral coast 10 minutes into the game , after scoring a try for Wenty! Hope it isnt too bad.
Well there you go... lucky that wasn't first grade last night, or next week.

Am not a fan of rushing people back into the side returning from injury. No problem with anyone doing time in Wenty for match fitness after missing several weeks... probably only exception would be for a current international rep.

lingard

Coach

It would be difficult to change a winning team and your are right there but I dont know if we can beat a team like the dragons or dogs in the finals with Robson at halfback. While I have been impressed with him of late his kicking game is not very good and close to the line i think he makes the wrong choices to many times. KK is a very good defender and adds alot more with his short passing game plus he is quicker and a very good support player (just as robson is). It may not make much of a difference because KK went down injured today and even if its only a 1-2 week injury it would be much to late to bring him into the side.

We've already beaten the Bulldogs with Robson at half. And I think that the Tigers team we played last night is better than anything the Bulldogs or the Dragons are gunna throw at us. And I thought that Robson had a sensational game last night. Daniel Anderson thought so too. So did Ray Warren. I also think that Jeff Robson is a player you just can't leave out. It's a bit like Paul Taylor. He was a fairly average half/five-eight. Jack Gibson put him in the second row because of his terrier-like defense; but he was way too small for the second row. Because he was such an honest player and so good in defence, Gibson ended up putting him at full-back. He wasn't a particularly fantastic full-back, but it was the only place that Gibson could fit him into the side. He played a roving sort of game - not a typical full-back role - and during the course of a game he would pop up at half, five-eight, hooker; just about anywhere. He fitted the dynamic of the team - or, the dynamic of the team was altered slightly to accomodate him. I think Jeff Robson fits that mould in a lot of ways. I will be VERY surprised if Anderson doesn't re-sign him at the end of the year.

lingard

Coach
Its not that we wont play to our own strength but teams like the Dragons, Dogs, Titans and Melbourne will be better in defence, alot of those tries were scored off bad defencive reads or simple mistackles. I am happy if DA keep Robson at halfback because I understand why he is doing it, I would just prefer to see KK in the team who IMO is the most skilled half/hooker in our team.

Over all the Tigers defence last night was sensational. I doubt that we will encounter much better than that from here on in. Same goes for the attack. Let's not under-estimate what happened last night. We played close to the best side in the comp and beat them!

Snoochies

First Grade
I do think KK is the better halfback, but still being a young kid would he handle the pressure of the new expectation we have that Parra can win the comp. Robson is an older head and has been on this upward journey from the start and Mortimor is also young but he too has been on this upward climb from the start. KK as wonderful as he is, I don't think he would be able to handle the pressure that we fans will have on him to suddenly jump in and go win us a comp. What if we lose when he takes the number 7, to we blame him for the loss or wish Robson was back, but if we win then I'm happy to eat my words.

Anyway DA will sort it out, it's our job to support the players out there.

Eels Dude

Coach

It doesn't matter. As I said, a good side plays to their strengths. Once you start focusing more on the opposition than you do your own players it goes downhill. We're playing great footy, and should continue to do so. However once you start getting desperate and throwing different combinations around when it's not needed that's where problems occur. Just because someone is more 'skilled' doesn't mean they're going to be better or in better form. If we're not good enough to win the comp in our current form with our current side then so be it. It's not the right time to be making changes, let alone unneccesary ones when everyone is performing.

Latest posts