What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I'd hang onto Robson atm - as someone said earlier he;s providing a great balance to the side atm - KK's time will come.

IFR33K

Coach
I wouldnt change the halves pairing at this stage of the season.

Robson, complements the team ATM.

He is a service halfback with great defense. With all the attacking options we have at the moment (Hayne, Mateo, Morts), all he needs to do, is supply the backs with plenty of ball, kick, occasionally run the ball and defend.

If KK is to come in the team, he would probably demand more ball, and take our point of attack away from the above three mentioned players.

The team is going great guns ATM, and should be left as is.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Its not that we wont play to our own strength but teams like the Dragons, Dogs, Titans and Melbourne will be better in defence, alot of those tries were scored off bad defencive reads or simple mistackles. I am happy if DA keep Robson at halfback because I understand why he is doing it, I would just prefer to see KK in the team who IMO is the most skilled half/hooker in our team.

I'd say Mortimer is the most skilled half in our team?

KK is yet to prove that he's better than average at NRL level (I think he will - but he hasn't yet). Mortimer has already shown he's better than average, and has won us matches too.

I'd rather see the ball going through the hands of Hayne, Mortimer, and Mateo. Robson can keep doing his job of calling the plays and directing traffic - oh, and tackling his guts out. We don't really need more than that.

caylo

Bench
Over all the Tigers defence last night was sensational. I doubt that we will encounter much better than that from here on in. Same goes for the attack. Let's not under-estimate what happened last night. We played close to the best side in the comp and beat them!

Like I mentioned I only watched the first 40 min and I though the tigers defence rushed Robson and he struggled. He look in two minds the whole first half and had no idea what he was doing and Mortimer was not much better. Hayne played the half/5-8 role but I think he would be better suited hitting the edges and playing as a second 5-8 rather then a halfback. Mateo inclusion may mean Hayne will do less creating and more running or atleast give us a second point of attack because atm from what I saw from the tigers game we can not rely on Robson or Mortimer to make a play.
It doesn't matter. As I said, a good side plays to their strengths. Once you start focusing more on the opposition than you do your own players it goes downhill. We're playing great footy, and should continue to do so. However once you start getting desperate and throwing different combinations around when it's not needed that's where problems occur. Just because someone is more 'skilled' doesn't mean they're going to be better or in better form. If we're not good enough to win the comp in our current form with our current side then so be it. It's not the right time to be making changes, let alone unneccesary ones when everyone is performing.

Im not suggesting we focus on other teams simply that we must expect better defencive teams in the finals, the dragons will not miss as many one-on-one tackles and will be better at the back. We need halves that can kick better and KK has a better kicking game then Mortimer and Robson, KK also has a better running and short passing game then both. I think our team will improve with KK at halfback but I understand why DA will keep the current pairing together. I saw alot of holes being exposed esp in the 1st 20min when we had a few opportunitys go to waste due to our 6 and 7. I cant comment on the 2nd half but we need an improvement from them two IMO if we are a chance as serious contenders.

Eels Dude

Coach
Like I mentioned I only watched the first 40 min and I though the tigers defence rushed Robson and he struggled. He look in two minds the whole first half and had no idea what he was doing and Mortimer was not much better. Hayne played the half/5-8 role but I think he would be better suited hitting the edges and playing as a second 5-8 rather then a halfback. Mateo inclusion may mean Hayne will do less creating and more running or atleast give us a second point of attack because atm from what I saw from the tigers game we can not rely on Robson or Mortimer to make a play.

Im not suggesting we focus on other teams simply that we must expect better defencive teams in the finals, the dragons will not miss as many one-on-one tackles and will be better at the back. We need halves that can kick better and KK has a better kicking game then Mortimer and Robson, KK also has a better running and short passing game then both. I think our team will improve with KK at halfback but I understand why DA will keep the current pairing together. I saw alot of holes being exposed esp in the 1st 20min when we had a few opportunitys go to waste due to our 6 and 7. I cant comment on the 2nd half but we need an improvement from them two IMO if we are a chance as serious contenders.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. To be honest, Robsons is a terrific defender. He regularly makes 30 + tackles a game without missing many. He does lack in other areas, true, but that is no reason to swap him for KK. With Hayne calling the shots, Morts having a great debut year, and Mateo with playmaking ability... I simply do not see the need to recall KK when he is yet to prove he's got the right to slot straight back into first grade. Let's not talk individual talents and skills here... let's think of the team in general and what's best for the good of the team ok!

caylo

Bench
We'll have to agree to disagree then. To be honest, Robsons is a terrific defender. He regularly makes 30 + tackles a game without missing many. He does lack in other areas, true, but that is no reason to swap him for KK. With Hayne calling the shots, Morts having a great debut year, and Mateo with playmaking ability... I simply do not see the need to recall KK when he is yet to prove he's got the right to slot straight back into first grade. Let's not talk individual talents and skills here... let's think of the team in general and what's best for the good of the team ok!

First his defence is good but so is Keatings; comparing Robson makes 25.5 tackles a game, misses 2.1 tackles and makes 1.5 ineffective tackles a match (88% effectiveness) compared to KK who makes 24 tackles, misses 2 and makes 1.6 ineffective tackles (87%). KK was often leading the chase after a kick even when he didnt kick the ball and is a very energetic player. The reason I think he is better suited to the team is because he has the ability to put player into holes which Mortimer and Robson have proved they cant so far.

So simply yes Eels Dude I will agree to disagree but I will expect KK to starting over Robson next year tbh

Fathead

Bench
I won't disagree with you!

KK isn't Andrew Johns or anything... he's a guy who has played a handful of top grade games at the halfback spot.

And I completely agree with parra-matters - Robson MUST be the best defensive halfback in the NRL at the moment.

To respond to the original post - in terms of "killing our attack" - the last 4 games our attack has really clicked on the back of Hayne, and to a lesser degree, Mortimer. We've scored plenty of points in that time - and with Mateo back, I'd suggest our attack has plenty of facets.

I fail to understand how Keating greatly improves us in that area anyway
In his 18 career top grade games, K Keating has 4 try assists and 2 line break assists.
In his 15 top grade games this year, Robson has 4 try assists and 5 line break assists.

Why on earth would we drop the organiser of a hot team for a guy who likes to step and go himself quite a lot?

I agree - we lose Robson, we will lose a great deal of our defensive cohesion.

EELICIT

Juniors
Guys robson can tackle ! We know that. But KK is an attacking machine. I dont seem to remember KK missing many tackles before he got injured. All i seem to remember is him making breaks and nobody being there to assist him .

Redback71

First Grade
as if, you really want to split up the halves when there firing on all cylanders LOL. Robson is a must for next year. Sign him now even if it is as a back up.

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
I agree that the halves will most likely remain the same for the remainder of the season due to our current form. I never said to rush Keating back into the side but if he is fit I feel he adds more than Robson.

For those of you saying that Robson is a good organiser and defender, I have to ask other than their contracts, what is the difference between Robson and Finch?

They are essentially the same type of player but Finch was unlucky enough to have Hayne struggling and Inu playing like a busted whilst he was at the club. Finch's biggest strength was the amount of tries he saved and yet he was crucified by many. I'm also not turning this into a Finch vs Robson debate.

I am simply pointing out that if another side eventually works out how to limit Hayne's impact (he can't be completely stopped), then I think our attack would still be alot more dangerous with Keating, provided he is fit and in the type of form deserving of a run in First Grade.

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
Debatable. Robson could easily slot in at hooker, 5/8 or lock.

Keating is solid in the halves and a very dangerous player at hooker. He also did a good job at the end of last year playing fullback in Toyota Cup.

Whilst Robson could be classed as versatile, Keating has him covered at each position.

IFR33K

Coach
For those of you saying that Robson is a good organiser and defender, I have to ask other than their contracts, what is the difference between Robson and Finch?.

Sorry buddy, have to disagree with you there.

Finch had a passing and kicking game, of a pub player at best.

How many times do you recall his kicks out on a full, or passes into touch. He also took wrong options, all the time.

Remember, this guy has played origin and over 200 FG games. I believe the most overrated player to ever achieve both feats.

Robson>Finch any day of the week.

lingard

Coach
I agree that the halves will most likely remain the same for the remainder of the season due to our current form. I never said to rush Keating back into the side but if he is fit I feel he adds more than Robson.

For those of you saying that Robson is a good organiser and defender, I have to ask other than their contracts, what is the difference between Robson and Finch?

They are essentially the same type of player but Finch was unlucky enough to have Hayne struggling and Inu playing like a busted whilst he was at the club. Finch's biggest strength was the amount of tries he saved and yet he was crucified by many. I'm also not turning this into a Finch vs Robson debate.

I am simply pointing out that if another side eventually works out how to limit Hayne's impact (he can't be completely stopped), then I think our attack would still be alot more dangerous with Keating, provided he is fit and in the type of form deserving of a run in First Grade.

The difference between Finch and Robson is that Finch was a lot more erratic; and Finch made about 250,000,000 mistakes during a game whereas Robson doesn't. Oh, and Robson IS a better defender than Finch.
Robson gets the ball to the backs whereas Finch didn't. Attack after attack was stopped dead in it's tracks when Finch got the ball due to his hesitancy, his lack of vision, his rushes of blood. Whereas, the attack flows through Robson. Robson continues to improve, whereas Finch continued to get worse. That's about it, I think. Apart from those things they're pretty even I suppose. Oh, hang on - Robson listens to the coach, takes criticism, works on his game and doesn't ever spit the dummy. Finch?..........well.

oldmancraigy

Coach
The difference between Finch and Robson is that Finch was a lot more erratic; and Finch made about 250,000,000 mistakes during a game whereas Robson doesn't. Oh, and Robson IS a better defender than Finch.
Robson gets the ball to the backs whereas Finch didn't. Attack after attack was stopped dead in it's tracks when Finch got the ball due to his hesitancy, his lack of vision, his rushes of blood. Whereas, the attack flows through Robson. Robson continues to improve, whereas Finch continued to get worse. That's about it, I think. Apart from those things they're pretty even I suppose. Oh, hang on - Robson listens to the coach, takes criticism, works on his game and doesn't ever spit the dummy. Finch?..........well.

You forgot to mention the $300 000 other reasons that it's better having Robson...

Robson knows what he can and can't do and doesn't try to overplay his hand --> Finch thought he could do anything, often tried too much - but he COULD have blinders every now and then.

oldmancraigy

Coach
First his defence is good but so is Keatings; comparing Robson makes 25.5 tackles a game, misses 2.1 tackles and makes 1.5 ineffective tackles a match (88% effectiveness) compared to KK who makes 24 tackles, misses 2 and makes 1.6 ineffective tackles (87%). KK was often leading the chase after a kick even when he didnt kick the ball and is a very energetic player. The reason I think he is better suited to the team is because he has the ability to put player into holes which Mortimer and Robson have proved they cant so far.

So simply yes Eels Dude I will agree to disagree but I will expect KK to starting over Robson next year tbh

What the heck?!?!?!

Kris Keating has 2 linebreak assists in his whole career. You get a linebreak assist when you put someone into a gap.
Robson has 5 of those this season.
Mateo has 8 (leads the club) and Mortimer only has the 1.
However if you look at Mortimer's NYC games this season you'd notice he had 10 in 9 games.

Last season in NYC games, K Keating had 6 line break assists in 16 games - Mortimer had 12 in 24 (which is a better ratio).

Sorry caylo - I know you like KK and want him back, but you can't just make false statements like that!
4 weeks ago I would've said "drop Robson" - but he's grown so much and our attack has actually clicked and Robson has actually contributed to that with his running, passing and kicking game.

He's not one of the top 10 halbacks in the game, but KKeating certainly isn't either.

And I'd say Mortimer is well ahead of Keating in terms of 'talented youngster'

If we make the 8, then you'll do well to convince me that Robson shouldn't be our halfback next season...

Hindy Rulz

Juniors

The difference between Finch and Robson is Finch was playing behind a beaten pack week after week and players like Inu weren't playing nearly as good.

Finch has been pretty good since moving to Melbourne.

We will see how Robson does over the next few weeks. My guess is if he struggles, many of the people sticking up for him at the moment will start to bag him like they did Finch.

strider

Post Whore
the difference between finch and robson is that we were paying finch about 6 times what we pay robson yet robson is probably contributing roughly the same

no doubt finch would have been just as good as robson now with hayne firing and the forwards going forward and the defence holding - hell he probably would have played better - or he may have hampered hayne's form cos he would have had the ball more and hayne less .... but we'd still be stuck with his sh*tty salary and lack of direction for 2 more years

bartman

Immortal
Robson > Finch > T. Smith

End of story. Next year Keating is our preferred option, for sure. But this year at this time it's Robson - especially now since KK got injured for Wenty.

If we can hang onto Robson as a backup next year for $55K, it's more than worth it imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts