What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halves

Avenger

Immortal
Robson is playing a very similar role in a strikingly similar team to when David Penna was our halfback.

caylo

Bench
What the heck?!?!?!

Kris Keating has 2 linebreak assists in his whole career. You get a linebreak assist when you put someone into a gap.
Robson has 5 of those this season.
Mateo has 8 (leads the club) and Mortimer only has the 1.
However if you look at Mortimer's NYC games this season you'd notice he had 10 in 9 games.

Last season in NYC games, K Keating had 6 line break assists in 16 games - Mortimer had 12 in 24 (which is a better ratio).

Sorry caylo - I know you like KK and want him back, but you can't just make false statements like that!
4 weeks ago I would've said "drop Robson" - but he's grown so much and our attack has actually clicked and Robson has actually contributed to that with his running, passing and kicking game.

He's not one of the top 10 halbacks in the game, but KKeating certainly isn't either.

And I'd say Mortimer is well ahead of Keating in terms of 'talented youngster'

If we make the 8, then you'll do well to convince me that Robson shouldn't be our halfback next season...

first and formost I only consider KK games at halfback because if you want to count all those games he came off the bench as a hooker is a bit unfair. KK played 3 games and 13 minutes at halfback and set up 2 line brreak assist in a team that counts make a break. I was very reserved about KK ability as a halfback but after a few games I noticed how well he adapted his game when needed and to me that is his biggest strength.

Robson has played a few game in an improving team that is now producing some 2nd phase play. He stats should look better but Robson has had 5 line break assist in about 12 or so games. IMO form what I have seen in first grade KK short passing game is much better then either Mortimer and Robson.

Eels Dude

Coach
first and formost I only consider KK games at halfback because if you want to count all those games he came off the bench as a hooker is a bit unfair. KK played 3 games and 13 minutes at halfback and set up 2 line brreak assist in a team that counts make a break. I was very reserved about KK ability as a halfback but after a few games I noticed how well he adapted his game when needed and to me that is his biggest strength.

Robson has played a few game in an improving team that is now producing some 2nd phase play. He stats should look better but Robson has had 5 line break assist in about 12 or so games. IMO form what I have seen in first grade KK short passing game is much better then either Mortimer and Robson.

The whole problem with your argument is you are basing your opinion on JUST those 3 games. Robsons has played 15 games in a row at halfback and has performed the role adequately enough to hold onto the spot.

And you still haven't commented on the whole Mortimor/Robson combination???? Can you please explain why you think Mortimor is going to be more confident playing with a bloke he's never played with before in first grade then he is with a bloke who's helped guide him in first grade to the player's become after only 12 first grade games????

Raudonikis

Juniors
mortimer has plenty of experience playing with kk as his 5/8.
This love affair with robson from you blokes blows me out,and it shows you have no idea of what a half is supposed to be doing.He shouldnt be throwing balls to mortimers feet,he should know what to do in the opp 20 on the last tackle and he deffinately shouldnt be throwing the passes he does on the line.example, the passes he threw to B Smith,which incidently a lot here have been critising smith for not taking them.They are whats called hospitol passes.Alls robson has is a defensive game therefore he may make a good lock.

Eels Dude

Coach
And KK would be better why? Fair enough comments but Morts and KK have not played a game together in well over a year, and never ever in first grade which is a different story to the NYC.

caylo

Bench
The whole problem with your argument is you are basing your opinion on JUST those 3 games. Robsons has played 15 games in a row at halfback and has performed the role adequately enough to hold onto the spot.

And you still haven't commented on the whole Mortimor/Robson combination???? Can you please explain why you think Mortimor is going to be more confident playing with a bloke he's never played with before in first grade then he is with a bloke who's helped guide him in first grade to the player's become after only 12 first grade games????

I understand where your coming from but I still think keating is the better option (not this year obviously) and he played alot of footy with Mortimer in NYC so I'm sure they will have a good combination already.

Eels Dude

Coach
I understand where your coming from but I still think keating is the better option (not this year obviously) and he played alot of footy with Mortimer in NYC so I'm sure they will have a good combination already.

KK and Morts will be the long term combo for Parra, no arguments there. But he shouldn't be thrust into first grade now. They've had a combo together at junior level but it's a bit different in first grade and especially under a coach they've not played under together as a combination. KK and Morts will probaably be our first choice halves combo for next year, but not yet. It's Robson and Morts this year after what they've achieved so far.

caylo

Bench
KK and Morts will be the long term combo for Parra, no arguments there. But he shouldn't be thrust into first grade now. They've had a combo together at junior level but it's a bit different in first grade and especially under a coach they've not played under together as a combination. KK and Morts will probaably be our first choice halves combo for next year, but not yet. It's Robson and Morts this year after what they've achieved so far.

While I would have liked KK to be in the team but I will agree atm his inclusion could be more damaging esp now he will be out for probably 2 weeks. So maybe we can agree to agree ;)

Eels Dude

Coach
While I would have liked KK to be in the team but I will agree atm his inclusion could be more damaging esp now he will be out for probably 2 weeks. So maybe we can agree to agree ;)

Haha sounds good Caylo. If there was an emoticon to offer a handshake I'd offer one ;-)

Latest posts