What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy St George's Day

Old Timer

Coach
Radio with an automatic aerial as an optional extras! Love it.

l had a HR Premier as my first car.
Went over a huge dip in the road out at Wanda Beach at Cronulla with a 7 guys in the car on the very first night l got it!

The suspension was soft as jelly and we all hit out heads in the roof headliner once we had bottomed out.

Fun times indeed.

The HD had nut crusher front guards too!
A good friend of my brother bought a 2nd hand EH premier I think) in the early 70's.
A lot of people laughed as it had a bench seat instead of bucket.
He was no fool it had the camping seat optional extra installed.
One pull on the lever (figuratively speaking) and action stations.

denis preston

First Grade
Craven A King Size Filters was mum & dads choice and of course Rothmans were affectionately called coffin nails

A couple of long neck Dirty Annie’s or Toohey’s export lager were in the fridge.

Dad had not long purchased a new HD and the Astor radio was an optional extra which he got but didn’t go the extra mile for the automatic aerial which would have paid for itself as it was often the first thing to cop it if we dished out a hiding to someone.

Dad often thought the HD was a jinx (it certainly wasn’t Holden’s best effort) as it coincided with our demise
My dad was a rothmans man who gave up smokes in his early 40's.Mum smoked Ardarth's and couldn't which led to her death at 63 ( along with Bex powders )

Old Timer

Coach
No problem, i mentioned it to show how much more informed we are today with our health choices.The scenario for my mum was the ciggies led to heart deasese , the Bex kidney desease. Combine the two and no transplant possible.
Started on cork tipped Capstan 6’s Red
I used to get them at the newsstand at the top of the the Riverwood Station stairs.
Went from them to Craven A as mum never hid them very well and that was a lot cheaper.
Gave up like your dad when I was in my 40’s and touch wood no cancer but certainly diminished lung function and a bit of a low oxygen count.
Sad about your mum as unfortunately Bex / Vincent’s we’re heavily advertised and widely used back then.
The lady next door to us growing up was addicted to them and Valium after having 10 kids.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Eight years ago at the Bayshill Hotel, Cheltenham.
CC
View attachment 37795 View attachment 37796
Como, have you been back to Cheltenham since? I recall our discussion in the thread a few years ago. In 2016 I found a pub in Cheltenham called St George's Vaults, had a massive St George and the Dragon mural on the wall facing down the street. The Bayshill Hoyel has it's own attraction of course.

Como Connection

First Grade
Como, have you been back to Cheltenham since? I recall our discussion in the thread a few years ago. In 2016 I found a pub in Cheltenham called St George's Vaults, had a massive St George and the Dragon mural on the wall facing down the street. The Bayshill Hoyel has it's own attraction of course.
No Willow, lovely old town.
I have some more St.George and the Dragon pictues, this one from Kissamoss in Crete.
20180404_140658.jpg

Dragon David

First Grade
Started on cork tipped Capstan 6’s Red
I used to get them at the newsstand at the top of the the Riverwood Station stairs.
Went from them to Craven A as mum never hid them very well and that was a lot cheaper.
Gave up like your dad when I was in my 40’s and touch wood no cancer but certainly diminished lung function and a bit of a low oxygen count.
Sad about your mum as unfortunately Bex / Vincent’s we’re heavily advertised and widely used back then.
The lady next door to us growing up was addicted to them and Valium after having 10 kids.

I remember these androtops way back then. I got hooked on them, Craven A, Viscount, Peter Stuyvesant, Camel, Ardath, Benson & Hedges, Kool etc when I was about 17. Tried several times to stop over the many years of smoking. Gave them away in 2009 (when I was 63) and now I've only got 59% lung capacity with COPD. Sure ain't easy walking up hills nowadays . We had a mixed business shop way back then and I use to sneak a packet or two from the stock in the shop.

The lady next door lived on Vincents powder and Soda Water. She came into the shop mainly to have these and a chin wag everyday. Little did they know then what damage they were doing.

Dragon David

First Grade
I remember these androtops way back then. I got hooked on them, Craven A, Viscount, Peter Stuyvesant, Camel, Ardath, Benson & Hedges, Kool etc when I was about 17. Tried several times to stop over the many years of smoking. Gave them away in 2009 (when I was 63) and now I've only got 59% lung capacity with COPD. Sure ain't easy walking up hills nowadays . We had a mixed business shop way back then and I use to sneak a packet or two from the stock in the shop.

The lady next door lived on Vincents powder and Soda Water. She came into the shop mainly to have these and a chin wag everyday. Little did they know then what damage they were doing.
Sorry, should have started with "I remember those androtops...."

TruSaint

Referee
my daughters husband is a Kapassakis, we went over to meet the family at Kissamoss and Chania over Easter two years ago, fantastic people, we had a great time.
As far as I'm concerned Greek food is pick of all EU food.
CC

I know the Kassapakis family. Grew up with them.
I think they have a comedian in there somewhere. Tony ? Funny man.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No Willow, lovely old town.
I have some more St.George and the Dragon pictues, this one from Kissamoss in Crete.
View attachment 37911
Somehow I don't think a lot happens in Cheltenham...

Police called to Cheltenham pub after reports of a disturbance
Officers called to St Georges Vaults in the town centre this afternoon following trouble in bars last night
0_CapturePNG.png

Police were called to a pub in Cheltenham town centre after reports of a disturbance this afternoon. The incident happened at the St Georges Vaults, in St George’s Place, just before 1pm on Tuesday.

But by the time officers arrived at the pub, the men had left and there were no reports of any offences.

More (if you dare...): https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/police-dash-cheltenham-pub-after-2662653

Latest posts